Drinks Package discount not applying

Fuelman

Just had a look on my cruise planner and the deluxe drinks package is showing Buy One, get 50% off Second, however when I add to basket it shows the full price despite a little banner stating that the discount has been applied at 25% off per person.  I checked yesterday, and it was the same price ($47 per person per day).  The day before it was $50 per person per day so even the $47 down from $50 isn't 25%!  Am I doing something wrong?  Is there a discount code or something I need to put in?

Can anyone help?

13 minutes ago, Fuelman said:

Just had a look on my cruise planner and the deluxe drinks package is showing Buy One, get 50% off Second, however when I add to basket it shows the full price despite a little banner stating that the discount has been applied at 25% off per person.  I checked yesterday, and it was the same price ($47 per person per day).  The day before it was $50 per person per day so even the $47 down from $50 isn't 25%!  Am I doing something wrong?  Is there a discount code or something I need to put in?

Can anyone help?

It's all calculated based on on board pricing.  There was a thread here a while ago about this same thing.  @rjac even made a few calls to RC about it.  I don't remember the details other than the fact that it is sneaky advertising and it's based on their on board price.  That is why the math doesn't add up.  I'm sure one of the spread sheet guys here will chime in.  @JLMoran, @twangster?

3 minutes ago, Fuelman said:

Can anyone help?

The $47 price in the Cruise Planner includes the Buy One, get 50% off Second discount. The $50 price you saw before was a 20% off deal and now you see $47 for this 25% off deal. The discounts you are seeing are off the full price of the package if you were to purchase on board the ship.

9 minutes ago, CruiseLife72 said:

The $47 price in the Cruise Planner includes the Buy One, get 50% off Second discount. The $50 price you saw before was a 20% off deal and now you see $47 for this 25% off deal. The discounts you are seeing are off the full price of the package if you were to purchase on board the ship.

To add to that, full price on board is usually around $60-$67/day.

@Lovetocruise2002 is correct.  It's calculated from the onboard price.  The pre cruise cruise planner price is normally discounted from on board prices as well, that isn't the normal price.   While we want the BOGO50 to apply to the last sale price we saw, it doesn't work that way, much like many retail stores where new discounts apply to the full price and are not cumulative.  

To make it more confusing, on board rates vary from ship to ship for some reason and they are not published so it's hard to see the BOGO50 in play.  

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

To make it more confusing, on board rates vary from ship to ship for some reason and they are not published so it's hard to see the BOGO50 in play.

And to make it more confusing yet, the on-board pricing can vary on the same ship, depending on sail date. Not as common, but I do think this was the case for my sailing on Freedom that spanned Spring Break week, as I was not seeing nearly as low drink package prices as others on the same ship and itinerary but earlier / later sailings than mine. Best I ever saw was $43 per night for Deluxe, and others were seeing as low as $39 for their own Freedom sailings.

4 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

And to make it more confusing yet, the on-board pricing can vary on the same ship, depending on sail date. Not as common, but I do think this was the case for my sailing on Freedom that spanned Spring Break week, as I was not seeing nearly as low drink package prices as others on the same ship and itinerary but earlier / later sailings than mine. Best I ever saw was $43 per night for Deluxe, and others were seeing as low as $39 for their own Freedom sailings.

Royal Caribbean trademarks Cerebro....

1 minute ago, Fuelman said:

Thanks for all the information, it's very confusing.  You would think they would make it simple to encourage people to book when they see a good price.

I think they count on the sale banners convincing people that it is a good price.  There's only a small percentage of people like us here that actually dissect the pricing.

It seems like the prices for the Deluxe package are higher on shorter cruises, for sure.  The lowest price per night for the Deluxe package I have heard of is $39, and I think that was on a TransAtlantic.  On our upcoming 12 night British Isles cruise we got the Deluxe package on sale for $41/night (plus gratuity).  I'm pretty sure the reason for that is it's probably a lot harder to consistently drink enough to make the package "worth it" 12 days in a row! (Although we will certainly try our best. ☺️