Adventure 5 Nights 5/5/18 Repositioning San Juan to Bayonne

twangster

The pool deck area in the daylight. 

v8nouXl.jpg

The new kids water park:

SkRck15.jpg

gYdVNDe.jpg

You can see where they placed the new deck 12 cabins in the panoramic ocean view cabins.  The jogging track was re-routed around the solarium open ceiling and you can see the color difference where the new jogging track meets the old jogging track.

L2T6ltA.jpg

VmzaQce.jpg

The new cabins created a new St Tropez sun deck much like on the Freedom class that have received the new cabins in this area.  Just like Liberty they have installed glass dividers to break the wind in this area.  On Freedom this area was more open.

HLmQDYa.jpg

The view of the solarium from St Tropez.

3JsnMWu.jpg

x5NMnMF.jpg

I couldn't go into the new cabins since they are occupied (I saw people in them from the helipad on day one) but the hallways in this area smell and look new as you would expect.

Tuz7zNs.jpg

txVVvPC.jpg

On 5/6/2018 at 10:25 AM, JLMoran said:

I did notice the balcony railing / glass is angled outward. Do you still have a good view to either side when sitting, or do you have to walk right up to the railing to have any view to the sides?

This balcony is not as deep as my last balcony on Serenade.  Sitting down you definitely feel like you are in a cave.

oBpDlRB.jpg

Leaning against the railing doesn't feel unnatural.

Ew1MuVk.jpg

B6esYQC.jpg

Looking down the life boats stick out ever so slightly but you still have great views down to the water.

AE5pThu.jpg

25 minutes ago, twangster said:

Adventure Dunes starts on deck 13 and ends on deck 12.

1660034334_Day3-25.jpg.60fcbe46c13628c3f58f4ce9870c88b3.jpg

Heading up past the flow rider you can see how Adventure Dunes plays from the upper deck to the lower deck:

2037145105_Day3-28.jpg.15b8ef114396cc54e6ca02324c903ae7.jpg

Love this transport tubing for getting the ball down there! Just better hope someone doesn't steal your ball while you're walking down there... ?

Pub Crawl!

There are a large number of RCPeriscopers and folks that joined a FB group cruise page.  One of the events was a pub crawl which basically means 50 to 60 people descending on a bar at once (swarming) before moving onto the next bar and so on.  Stops included the Schooner Bar, Champagne Bar, The Pub and the Sky Bar. 

Ee2t9o3.jpg

HHgeoMh.jpg

tbjm1Ff.jpg

nHBcIT5.jpg

2sITpz0.jpg

fd7Ff5p.jpg

8D7yeuU.jpg

pnK5Pw2.jpg

5 hours ago, twangster said:

They have a different style of hand washing stations leading into the WJ on both sides.  They feature air blowers built into the 'wings' on the faucet so you don't need paper towels.  Works well. 

Just like on Anthem.  Good to see them making this change so it's more pronounced that you need to wash your hands prior to eating.

On 5/6/2018 at 10:13 AM, twangster said:

Cabin Tour!

9532 port side forward balcony

If you happen to be passing by 9306 can you let me know if there is one of those wifi thingys near my cabin?  I asked Ron and he said he'd check...but you know Ron...LOL

Top tier event. 

This is when I miss my Nikon.  The dancers were great but this is where iPhone photography falls short.  With my Nikon this photo would be clear:

JJ3x521.jpg

None the less they were very good when seen live.

It could have been the drinks that kept flowing as we waited for the Captain, but the numbers flew past pretty quickly.  Over half the ship were C&A members, I think I heard 232 Diamond and 131 Diamond Plus.  Ron beside me kept on yacking in my ear so I missed the rest.  (Just kidding Ron). 

Captain Shawn and a few of the Senior Officers:

jCO5yu9.jpg

The top cruisers with something like 1328 points (+/- 25) were called up and gave a short speech when they called upon @mpoole3 to re-gift their bottle of Champagne to him.  I think he was shocked.

7x4xP8q.jpg

Day 3 - Evening

Dinner was in the Windjammer tonight, Tex-Mex night.  After dinner I saw the saddest face pop up on my phone on the Periscope app:

qVwgOzG.jpg

Apparently FOMO was in play so @Matt held an emergency meeting of the central Florida RoyalCarribeanblog.com users.  I tried to watch the scope but the sound of the waves on my balcony made it hard to hear him, plus I was having so much fun on board that I had to put my phone down and get back to the Schooner Bar. 

This included another round of Billy Pando in the Schooner Bar.

zAEAMRx.jpg

That's @mpoole3 and @Big Dawg Ron.  He is known for his association with rubber ducks and his shirt reads "RELEASE the Quackin" which was entirely appropriate given the volume of Kraken and Cokes (or diet Coke) being consumed around the piano bar.

OsYl2uC.jpg

Adult late night comedy at 11:15pm with Lucas Bohn.  Pretty good.

XQzIrqD.jpg

Day 4 - Sea Day

Peak-a-boo Bridge

The Peak-a-boo bridge is a unique feature of the Voyager class.  It allows you to look down into the navigational bridge.

This is a public outdoor deck and the entrance is located off solarium on the forward, port side of the ship.

NwHtAe3.jpg

Oe5tE9Y.jpg

hW5Pr9I.jpg

The leads to a narrow outside deck with views aft when you first step out.

jECIDcP.jpg

Heading forward you are in front of the gym.

nnLvIO8.jpg

Here there is a covered area with views down into the bridge.

eyWFmlP.jpg

Having been at sea for a day and half now everything has a layer of salt on it so I apologize for the poor pictures.

iOE8rTd.jpg

DRxPBq5.jpg

Zwuy2tM.jpg

w9HzHao.jpg

Now lets get a bit geeky. 

<geek/on> There are two displays here that let you see the details of the ship and our course.

zVuYlcx.jpg

It looks like we have a direct course towards the "BYE PILOT" which I assume is the Bayonne pilot station where we will pick up the local pilot to assist us getting to the pier.   I noted the 'Desired ETA' was 08:00 but also noted that is UTC so lots of time to make our scheduled arrival.

wgYccOl.jpg

In between the two displays are some explanations of what the bridge is, the layout and various components and systems.

tCiRyZc.jpg

bSxvHTe.jpg

Jb7lFOD.jpg

On the displays I could see several ships around us but couldn't see them in the haze present on the ocean this morning,

9VGQ3L4.jpg

End of geekiness </geek off>

It's a cool feature but can be windy at times.  They had it closed yesterday so I was happy to find it open today.

Breakfast in the Windjammer.  Gotta love that view.

NNV4AJa.jpg

One thing about my cabin.  My door is at the entrance to the elevator lobby.  Noise hasn't been an issue,  sometimes I heard loud people walking down the hall but you'll hear that in any cabin.  The thing is this.  There is this creepy dummy on display and every time I open my cabin door it is the first thing I see.  Last night his head turned as I walked past.  Okay, maybe that was Kraken.

5AHPgnj.jpg

9 hours ago, twangster said:

9306 is in between access points.  There is one near the door of 9302 and one near the door of 9312.

So my in-cabin Voom will be iffy at best.  We will definitely put your travel router as close to the door as possible to get the best signal in the room/balcony.  Thanks for checking!! 

On 5/8/2018 at 2:13 PM, KathyC said:

So my in-cabin Voom will be iffy at best.  We will definitely put your travel router as close to the door as possible to get the best signal in the room/balcony.  Thanks for checking!! 

Speaking of which...  here is the RavPower travel router I am trying on this cruise pictured beside an iPhone for scale.  I first mentioned this in the first post.

sHjxRoC.jpg

It has come in very handy.  The latest update to 11.3.1 on iPhone continues to have wifi issues.  When I'm on 'royal-wifi' my phones don't roam around the ship very well without disconnecting from the the wifi.  I first noted this on Serenade when I upgraded to 11.3 during the cruise.  After the upgrade I experienced more wifi issues.  I blame Apple for this, not Royal. 

With the above travel router and it's internal battery I can slip it into my pocket and wander around the ship.  My phones stay connected to it and I don't have to re-connect every time I wake up my phone. 

I've placed several wifi phone calls through it and I've scoped through it.  It seems to work well.

32 minutes ago, twangster said:

The latest update to 11.3.1 on iPhone continues to have wifi issues.  When I'm on 'royal-wifi' my phones don't roam around the ship very well without disconnecting from the the wifi.  I first noted this on Serenade when I upgraded to 11.3 during the cruise.  After the upgrade I experienced more wifi issues.  I blame Apple for this, not Royal. 

Hmm, I'm not so sure it's entirely Apple's fault. I was on 11.3 during my cruise as well. While I had problems with my phone occasionally losing its connection while in our cabin, my wife's Android phone and our first-gen iPad mini (which is only on iOS 8 due to its age) had the same problem. Definitely did not have a problem with roaming around the ship and staying connected.

I know iOS (and especially watchOS, for those with an Apple Watch) sometimes has trouble with WiFi networks that use a capture page to mandate a login, but I'm guessing that it's a combination of iOS and the older WiFi systems on the ships without O3b.