Drink Pkg. on Symphony out of Barcelona.

2 hours ago, GlennGlenn said:

Do cruise ships even charge VAT? 

Cruise ships charge VAT tax when in port and probably within a certain distance of a port that they stop in.  I am not sure about the law when you are just "driving by".  The VAT rate varies between countries and can vary for different services, ie there may be a lower rate for food than for watches.  No business is allowed to eat sales tax.  They are required to collect it by law.  IF a business wants to give you a discount to negate that fee, that amount of money will come out of their revenues, not from  the taxes that are collected. 

Here's a good article explaining the VAT when cruising in the European Union, and, yes, alcohol is subject to the tax which can vary from country to country

In regards to drink packages specifically, it is recommended to purchase any drink, dining, specialty dining package prior to your cruise to avoid being charged a VAT. There are other recommendations included in the article which I hope will help you. 

Yes no duty free in on the ship from Barcelona , 

Everything you buy you are paying the VAT of Spain even if you are in Italy.

If you bought products on the ship which are more than 95 Euros you can get a form from the ship , stamp it when you are getting out from Europe (the last port which is in the Euro union) and get the VAT back (after commission) in the airport.

Drinks as said here is 10% (and you can not get VAT back on drinks). 

So.... if I'm understanding correctly...a $12 drink would cost $12 +$3.36 (18%+10%)=$15.36?  Is this only in port? Or through the entire Mediterranean/Greek isles trip for example?   We are on a 12 day cruise which I was absolutely not going to pay for 12 days of drink pkg.  However,  if each drink costs an extra dollar it might be worth it.   And am I right that if the drink card showed up, or i wanted to buy an extra specialty dinner on board that those would be taxed the extra 10% (or would the food be the 21%)?  Yikes... hadn't considered any of this at all!  Jane