Credit Card? Debit Card

It can be a debit card but they may put 'holds' on different amounts during the cruise before finally charging the full amount of any on-board spending on disembarkation day. It can take up to 30 days for your bank to release the hold amounts so it might be better to use a credit card. 

1 hour ago, hayley_bopp said:

It can be a debit card but they may put 'holds' on different amounts during the cruise before finally charging the full amount of any on-board spending on disembarkation day. It can take up to 30 days for your bank to release the hold amounts so it might be better to use a credit card. 

I just came off Symphony on Saturday.  I still have a hold on my credit card of £333.  The charges for the on-board account have been charged and the additional £333 is tied up until the bank releases it.  Can your debit card support such an issue? If it can, then use the debit card if your want.

Guest toodle68

Just remember that a debit card links directly to your bank. It only takes a small error and you could end up not having enough for your mortgage or car payment.. (assuming you don't keep several thousand just sitting in checking).   You should always use a credit card since it generally offers more protections. Just my opinion..

I agree with above postings.  You can use a debit card, but it does create problems with the holds.  I recently tried to explain this to someone I was cruising with who didn't heed my warning and their account ended up overdrawn.  It all worked out in the end but it took awhile for the holds to be removed.  I always recommend a credit card or cash.