Super Mario - The Happiest Guy in the World

Guest toodle68

I'm curious if he gets any special discounts or what room he chooses. Does he have to pay for 2 people since he travels alone?  He at least changes ships occasionally..

From what I've read in the past, he does NOT get any special price breaks above what anyone else is entitled to and he stays in an inside room.  He would not have to pay a single supplement anymore since he has [waaayooo] over 350 C&A cruise points.  That's the point at which the single supplement goes away.

10 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

From what I've read in the past, he does NOT get any special price breaks above what anyone else is entitled to and he stays in an inside room.  He would not have to pay a single supplement anymore since he has [waaayooo] over 350 C&A cruise points.  That's the point at which the single supplement goes away.

At 340 points the single supplement reduces from 200% to 150%.  Unfortunately this comes at the cost of double C&A points for solo travel as well, beyond 340 solo travelers don't get double C&A points unless in a suite solo, or if they don't use their C&A status during the booking process.  I'm hoping to hit 340 in 2019 so I can afford a Norwegian Fjords cruise, and a Hawaiian cruise, and...  Once i hit 340 I can look at more exotic destinations that would have been too expensive at 200% to justify it for just me. 

5 hours ago, twangster said:

At 340 points the single supplement reduces from 200% to 150%.  Unfortunately this comes at the cost of double C&A points for solo travel as well, beyond 340 solo travelers don't get double C&A points unless in a suite solo, or if they don't use their C&A status during the booking process.  I'm hoping to hit 340 in 2019 so I can afford a Norwegian Fjords cruise, and a Hawaiian cruise, and...  Once i hit 340 I can look at more exotic destinations that would have been too expensive at 200% to justify it for just me. 

Plus lunch with an Officer. Surely worth forgoing those double crown and anchor points ?

Guest toodle68
1 hour ago, F1guynz said:

Plus lunch with an Officer. Surely worth forgoing those double crown and anchor points

I guess it depends on if you can pick which officer ? 

11 hours ago, twangster said:

At 340 points the single supplement reduces from 200% to 150%.  Unfortunately this comes at the cost of double C&A points for solo travel as well, beyond 340 solo travelers don't get double C&A points unless in a suite solo, or if they don't use their C&A status during the booking process...

Think that might be inaccurate. I've always heard that policy applies only solo in a studio.

Standard room with reduced single supplement still earns two points a night with a suite earning three points.

Does anyone know more of this guy's back story?  From that piece he is obviously not married and does not have any children, but what about other family?  Siblings, nieces, nephews?  Sounds like he never gets off a ship.  Also, is this just his retirement or does he work or own a business?  Seems to spend a lot of time on a laptop, I would think even someone who "works from home" at some point has to be on land for various reasons.  Does he have any permanent mailing address or abode, or does he have a PO box in Fort Lauderdale or something like that?  When does he go to a doctor or a dentist?  You normally can't do that stuff on Saturdays between 8 am and 2 pm when in port I wouldn't think.  

I don't know, I can't say I am really envious of the guy.  I mean, to each their own, I am sure he does get a lot of attention for his celebrity, but I would miss a little bit of land, family, friends, etc.  I love cruises as much as the next guy, but after a week of that lifestyle, I am usually ok with going home, and then after a few months I look forward to the next trip.  Too much of anything usually loses it's luster.  But the guy does seem genuinely happy, so I guess good for him.    

@JBC From what I understand he has a place in either Ft. Lauderdale or Miami area. On some of the turnaround days he'll head back home. Think this is also the reason why the ships he sails on are primarily in that area. Also most of the ships he sails on are the shorter 3/4/5 day cruises with a weekday turnaround.

Job wise, think he works on the ship as a financial adviser.

24 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

Think that might be inaccurate. I've always heard that policy applies only solo in a studio.

Standard room with reduced single supplement still earns two points a night with a suite earning three points.

I like the way you think, unfortunately I have heard from guests that reached that level and have cruised solo but did not receive double points.

Royal pointed them to item 14 in the notes:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/viewAllBenefitsLoggedout.do;jsessionid=h1rKsGFyjyGtfFEt9ebi06V?memberTier=Gold#rcca-answer14

14 One Cruise Point for each completed night of sailing and an extra Cruise Point per night when you purchase and sail in suite accommodations (categories RL, RS, PS, SL, TS, TL, A1, A2, A3, CL, OL, OS, OT, OP, FS, GL, GP, GS, GB, GT, JS, J1, J3, J4, VT, VP, VO, VS, L1, L2) and/or sail in any category and pay a single pricing type for double occupancy staterooms. All other rates including Travel Agent rates are excluded from single price type extra point promotion. Cruisetours are included as an additional night per each day on the cruise tour. Points will be awarded by rate paid not rate berthed, for example, in the instance of an upgrade from an outside to a suite category.

They were told by the C&A team that the reduced single supplement is not a qualifying "single pricing type".

I've emailed them to confirm.

Guest toodle68

I could do something similar to this but it would have to be rotating around every cruise line, every ship, every cruise & every port.. I could not do the same ship with the same two cruises for several months like he does. His spreadsheet shows him on Freedom alternating between the 6 and 8 day cruises.

51 minutes ago, toodle68 said:

His spreadsheet shows him on Freedom alternating between the 6 and 8 day cruises.

Yup, I saw him walk by when I was waiting at Boleros for the Chef's Table group to gather. Didn't work up the nerve to just walk over and say hello, which by all accounts he'd have been fine with me doing. Heard from our CT waiter / sommelier afterward that he's very approachable and loves meeting the passengers.