Has anyone else noticed this??????

I just got off Symphony of the Seas last week.  What a lovely ship.

I was looking over my balcony one day and noticed the numbering of the life boats below.  Life boat #2 has a number C6DF6, Lifeboat #4 has C6FD6, and Lifeboat #6 goes back to C6DF6. (in case you missed it, it is the reversal of DF/FD in the numbers)

Is this just the OCD in me?  I wonder if even the captain has noticed this discrepancy.

What do you think?

C6DF6 is a reference to the ship, as in Symphony.  You'll see that number in large print on the helipad and it's printed on top of deck 18 in large print.  It's an internationally assigned number and every ship has a unique number like it.  Every life boat from a given ship carries the identifier of the ship it is from.  The actual lifeboat number is usually also there.

C6B17 is Anthem.

879237625_AnthemDay5-1copy.jpg.cbf18ac410bad6aabeb38ed52daaadd0.jpg

Note the 16 also present on top, that's life boat 16 from ship C6B17 (Anthem).

C6FV8 is Serenade

and so on...

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

C6DF6 is a reference to the ship, as in Symphony.  You'll see that number in large print on the helipad and it's printed on top of deck 18 in large print.  It's an internationally assigned number and every ship has a unique number like it.  Every life boat from a given ship carries the identifier of the ship it is from.  The actual lifeboat number is usually also there.

C6B17 is Anthem.

C6FV8 is Serenade

and so on...

How do you know this stuff??

Did you go to "cruise addict" school or something??? ?

3 hours ago, NS8VN said:

I feel like a guy in the shipyard probably finished painting it and noticed he mixed it up.  It was probably right at quitting time, he looked around and didn't see anyone, and decided that nobody would ever notice.

Little did he know...

Paint shop crew got a new guy.  The old crew have been there for years.  They decided to prank the newbie and told him to use DF.  Little did they know he went out and got a couple painted before any one could stop him. No one notices until...

11 hours ago, NS8VN said:

I feel like a guy in the shipyard probably finished painting it and noticed he mixed it up.  It was probably right at quitting time, he looked around and didn't see anyone, and decided that nobody would ever notice.

Little did he know...

Not much gets past me.

15 hours ago, Bob_KY said:

Maybe Paint Shop Guy had too many Loving Cups.  

20180430_204318.jpg

Man, I miss those! Last cruise we took, the layered drinks were offered in regular glasses. One of the main reasons we always got the layered drinks each night after dinner was to add to the loving cup collection.

1 minute ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Man, I miss those! Last cruise we took, the layered drinks were offered in regular glasses. One of the main reasons we always got the layered drinks each night after dinner was to add to the loving cup collection.

Same, we have quite the collection too!

Those are the small touches I miss from MDR.....

9 minutes ago, Bob_KY said:

Agree.  We should gather all of our cups, take a picture and see who has the most.  The old colored aluminum ones may date me.

The aluminum ones are the earliest we have as well.

Would the comparison be based on number of different style/color combinations or can I count the 15 or so of one style/color? 5 adults having at least one per night adds up in hurry!

On 5/1/2018 at 1:58 PM, twangster said:

C6B17 is Anthem.

879237625_AnthemDay5-1copy.jpg.cbf18ac410bad6aabeb38ed52daaadd0.jpg

C6FV8 is Serenade

and so on...

Here is an example on Harmony

5409BE60-C3B0-44F0-82ED-CE7446B980EA.jpeg

If I'm not mistaken the C6XXX number is a radio call sign, must like a ham radio station identifier. 

The IMO pictured above is the International Marine Organization (IMO) serial number. 

I think the idea is that Coast Guard (or equivalent in other countries) can look down from a helicopter or during search and rescue operations and read the call sign, then hail them on the radio (each life boat has a radio too).  On bridge tours I've seen the call sign mounted near the radios so it's easy for all bridge crew to know what call sign their ship uses.