Alaska Cruise Questions

We are on the group cruise to Alaska on Explorer in June and I have a couple of questions for those who have done the same or similar itinerary.

1) Is VOOM functional / worth the price?  I have heard that due to the location satellite coverage is quite inconsistent and causes outages.  Being Canadian, we will need to use roaming for cellular internet which isn't a showstopper but I an trying to determine if the cost of VOOM will be worth it.

2) Does the cruise change time zones and does the ship generally follow those of the ports?  When on caribbean cruises this is somewhat inconsistent and I am looking for peoples experiences on this one.

Thanks in advance!

Marc

We are doing Radiance (Northbound Alaska) in July.  I have done VOOM on the Oasis with great success so I got the VOOM for Alaska.  I hope it works as good as it did last summer. 

I was wondering about the time change also.  There will be a 4 hour difference for us along with 17 hours of day-light.  To say we will have "jet-lag" when we return will be an understatement for sure.

My Alaska ship internet experience is limited to Celebrity at the moment, until June on Explorer.  Since Celebrity is part of the RCCL family I am expecting similar internet on Explorer as I had on Celebrity and I know it will not match Oasis class internet.

Oasis uses O3b technology.  That technology is available at +/- 50 degrees latitude.  Alaska is well outside of this footprint.  So far out of the footprint that even normal satellite coverage for the lower 48 is largely fringe coverage up there.  On Celebrity I experienced this fringe coverage.  Some times it was pretty good, some times it was pretty bad and some times it was just okay. 

My cell phone worked in all ports so between the two I managed just fine, but make no mistake it's not as good as the coverage in the Caribbean.  Unless you are one of those who believes the earth is flat, you'll have the curvature of the earth working against you. 

20 hours ago, twangster said:

My Alaska ship internet experience is limited to Celebrity at the moment, until June on Explorer.  Since Celebrity is part of the RCCL family I am expecting similar internet on Explorer as I had on Celebrity and I know it will not match Oasis class internet.

Oasis uses O3b technology.  That technology is available at +/- 50 degrees latitude.  Alaska is well outside of this footprint.  So far out of the footprint that even normal satellite coverage for the lower 48 is largely fringe coverage up there.  On Celebrity I experienced this fringe coverage.  Some times it was pretty good, some times it was pretty bad and some times it was just okay. 

My cell phone worked in all ports so between the two I managed just fine, but make no mistake it's not as good as the coverage in the Caribbean.  Unless you are one of those who believes the earth is flat, you'll have the curvature of the earth working against you. 

Thanks for the response and technical explanation of what the issues are.  Very informative.

I have already paid for VOOM so I will likely leave it as is.  As a Canadian I will have to see what the cellular coverage is like and determine if I want to go that way as I will be charged a daily roaming fee by my provider.

I do have a travel data SIM for my phone but not too sure if it is a better deal than my roaming charges which allow me to use my full data plan for $6 a day.  Travel SIM is $30 for 2GB over 15 days.