Southwest cancelling flights

Yeah, I think this is one of those situations where you ask yourself, "which should I be more nervous about ?  Whether they ARE cancelling flights to check for mechanical issues or whether they AREN'T cancelling flights to check for mechanical issues".  It's kind of a lose-lose for them.  Hopefully it's all win-win for the pax.

I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but more than likely, they are pulling any planes that had engine work done at a specific place or possibly a part from a specific supplier.

Every piece that goes in a turbine engine is documented for this specific purpose.

Guest toodle68

SW is more effected than most since their fleet is 100% 737's. So over the next month they will be inspecting every aircraft, even those engines that are below the number of flight hours. It is not a quick visual inspection as they have to use ultrasound to look for internal fractures. Something similar happened to the airline I was working on back in the late 80's. Grounded all our 737-200's. Back then, it was a mandate to ground every aircraft, so much worse than the rolling checks today.

I would have no issues flying on an unchecked plane today.

Don't get me wrong.....I'm all for pulling planes for maintenance. Always safety first!

Im married to the guy who doesn't believe in arriving a day early for our cruise. In fact, sometimes I think he tries to cut it as close as he can. Drives me nuts!!!    In his defense, it's usually due to work restraints.   I'm just worried if our flight gets pulled, we will miss our cruise.

We bought travel insurance.....thankfully.

1 hour ago, Suzanne said:

Im married to the guy who doesn't believe in arriving a day early for our cruise. In fact, sometimes I think he tries to cut it as close as he can. Drives me nuts!!!    In his defense, it's usually due to work restraints.   I'm just worried if our flight gets pulled, we will miss our cruise.

That's a whole lot of extra anxiety and risk that frankly I don't think is necessary. 

If your husband has to work and flying in after the work night before doesn't work, that's one thing. But travel insurance or not, I really, really would not want to miss a cruise for an otherwise easily avoidable travel delay.

On 4/25/2018 at 9:09 PM, mpoole3 said:

I saw this on the news and thought oh great... I'm flying Southwest 6 times over the next 30 days. 

Don't sit near the engines.  Just kidding.  I flew 737's this week and have one tomorrow.  More on Monday.  

I wouldn't worry about.  I'm flying a 737 into SJU on another airline the day of the cruise on 5/5.  

This likely doesn't impact the entire 737 fleet.  They know which ones are more at risk and will prioritize them.  

On 4/25/2018 at 11:31 AM, Matt said:

That's a whole lot of extra anxiety and risk that frankly I don't think is necessary. 

If your husband has to work and flying in after the work night before doesn't work, that's one thing. But travel insurance or not, I really, really would not want to miss a cruise for an otherwise easily avoidable travel delay.

I agree Matt...it drives me nuts!