Couple more questions...

I'm cruising out of Fort Lauderdale on the Independence in April.

1) the departure flights out of FLL are not lining up to what I wanted. The noonish flights are in average $40 more per person, so that's an extra $160. The cheaper flights leave early AM or around 5pm. Is there something easily and fun to do to break up the day in FLL so we can take a later flight? Or will I be ready to pay more to get on an earlier flight?

2) Does anyone know they best breakfast restaurants, other than the windjammer? Also, we are thinking of doing a speciality dining restaurant one night. Any recommendations?

Thank you all.

Andy

We like to fly out late from FLL so that we can enjoy our disembarkation day. We rent a car and do things in the area.

After our upcoming cruise on Independence (in just 12 days!!!), we're going over to Sawgrass Mills and hanging out there for a few hours. There's a surprising lot to do there. It's a bit strange, but I'm looking forward to trying the conveyor belt sushi (Sushigami) that's there in the mall.

Our flight isn't until 9:10 PM, so we've got plenty of time to find things to do without needing to rush.

For your second question, I don't know what you mean by "beat breakfast restaurants". Are you talking on disembarkation morning? If so, they have breakfast in the main dining room during some early hours. It's not bad in there, and it's nice getting one last meal onboard that's served to you. Windjammer is horribly crowded that morning, especially a bit later in the morning.

I'm generally not much of a breakfast person, so on most mornings, I just get a couple pastries from Café Promenade or the Diamond or Concierge Lounge with some apple juice and that's enough for me.

In the past, I've tended to go to the specialty restaurants on formal nights since we don't dress up. This time, though, we're going to Giovanni's Table on the first night because they're giving us 20% back in onboard credit if we dine in a specialty restaurant on Day 1. That works well for me since I don't care for the Day 1 menu in the main dining room ("Mojo").

As far as recommendations, I'd suggest that you take a look at the main dining room menus and see which one you might want to skip. You'll need to check with the dining room staff to see which night that particular menu is served.

By far the simplest activity in Fort Lauderdale is the beach.  It's beautiful and should be easy to get to.  Also, don't forget Miami is very close (30 minutes by car) so if your flight is not until 5pm (or later), you could spend the day in Miami.

11am out of FLL you will most likely not be able to make - Miami maybe

But remember whenever you try this you have to get off the ship FIRST and have

to drag/take all your own luggage with you that morning.

I agree lots to do if you rent a car or look at Royal Caribbean's site and shore tours

they do have tours in FLL and Miami that you can add on at the end and they

take your luggage with you and drop you at the airports.  Gray Line tours also

does this in most cities as well. 

After a week onboard, "Hitting the ground running" on debarkation day is NOT something anyone choses to do.

A recent study found 99.9% of all cruisers experience a phenomenon researchers call "Ostrich Dilemma". Upon debarkation, the afflicted  head to the nearest sunny beach; often with luggage still in tow. They immediately stick their heads in the sand with their butts high in the air; denying any and all reality surrounding surrounding them. Often to the point of receiving sever sunburn to places that are normally covered by conventional lounge chairs.

Researchers have discovered two reasons for this behavior! 1) These cruisers are in severe denial that they--get this: Will actually have to open their wallet and give away money for a plate of food. 2) That future surprise towel animals will really just be a wet blob on the bathroom floor, the same one as the day before.

If you find yourself saying on the last day of the cruise "Baah, I can just wear shorts and flip flops to the airport tomorrow." you too are going to become an Ostrich Person. 

I encourage you to just plain enjoy some remaining time in Florida. What ever way you choose. Life Is Good.

would it be possible to make an 11am flight or is that pushing it?

I wouldn't take an 11:00AM flight unless I was coming off the Oasis or Allure.  If it were one of those two I would do it in a heartbeat.  They always seem to get people off early.  Using self debarkation, we've been to the airport, checked in and through security well before 8:00AM when we sailed the Allure.  I am one of those people who, once vacation is over, wants to get home ASAP.

bobroo, completely off topic, Is you avatar from the ABC Tournament?  B & W, wood lanes, that's going back a ways.  I have been to 27 straight tournaments and all my photos are in color.

I've read many reports of people making early flights, but it's not a way I'd like to end my vacation. Security at airports is always unpredictable, as is traffic and delays at the port, so it wouldn't be worth the risk to me.

We've decided to fly out sunday and enjoy saturday in Fort Lauderdale. Anyone have any hotel recommendations?

Depends on your budget but check these out; Wyndham Palm Aire, Galt Villa Motel, Carribbean Resort, Schubert Resort (The Victoria Park Hôtel), Royal beach palace, Courtyard By Marriott Fort Lauderdale North

All good comments on trip advisor