Ultimate Dining Package -- tips

Judy Rouse

I am confused by how to determine tips for waitstaff in the specialty restaurants when we have purchased the Ultimate Dining Package.  We currently are aboard Vision of the Seas.  Our meal receipts from Chops indicate zero service charge for each meal, the 18% gratuity is added to wines and beverages on separate receipts.   I inquired at the guest services desk and was told that it is not expected to tip the waiters over the mandatory 18% gratuity which is automatically added for each meal; yet there is no 18% gratuity on those receipts.   The meal receipts show zero gross sale and zero service charge and zero cover charge.  I assumed that we should tip the waiters 15-20% based on $70 per meal, plus extra for any wines and beverages.  I do not want to short-change the waitstaff.  What is correct policy for tipping when have this meal package?

18 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

They added the 18% gratuity when you purchased the dining package. 

I don't think they do. I tried it on my cruise planner and the 18% is not added. I've read that the service charge is included.

That being said, I would probably do what the OP said and leave 15-20% tip which probably ends up being $10-$20.

I just purchased the Deluxe drink package for our October cruise and the tip was most definitely included in my final cost.  That having been said, my husband tends to leave a little something extra for good service even in places where the tip is already included.