Formal Night Suit-pant leg

Diane.M

My hubby tried on his suits.. he has 3 that have only been worn to weddings and funerals.  The jackets are nice, but I'm concerned the pants are out of fashion and he will need a new suit.  The legs looks so wide.. what is the fashion now?  I hate another expense, his suits were not cheap, but I also do not want him to stand out in a out of fashion suit.  Thank you in advance!!

15 minutes ago, Diane.M said:

My hubby tried on his suits.. he has 3 that have only been worn to weddings and funerals.  The jackets are nice, but I'm concerned the pants are out of fashion and he will need a new suit.  The legs looks so wide.. what is the fashion now?  I hate another expense, his suits were not cheap, but I also do not want him to stand out in a out of fashion suit.  Thank you in advance!!

I’m sure he will look fine, some people wear T-shirts on formal night. I wouldn’t worry about it especially if it’s not something he would much in the future. 

Shorts in a dining room?? Not I nor my family, but if you want people staring and talking about you, then have at it. The whole point of formal night is contained within the term. Otherwise, go to Windjammer or have room service. Guess I am Old Skool. 

@Diane.M I am sure a nice long sleeve shirt with button down collar and long pants will do. I'll take that over shorts anyday. 

2 minutes ago, GlennGlenn said:

Shorts in a dining room?? Not I nor my family, but if you want people staring and talking about you, then have at it. The whole point of formal night is contained within the term. Otherwise, go to Windjammer or have room service. Guess I am Old Skool. 

@Diane.M I am sure a nice long sleeve shirt with button down collar and long pants will do. I'll take that over shorts anyday. 

Or you can go with the thought that you’ll never see any of those people again. 

6 minutes ago, GlennGlenn said:

I did not say anyone in my party wore shorts. In fact there was a shopping trip the week before to ensure we were formally dressed on formal nights, but there were shorts on many men

I remember long ago being turned away at Chops because I was wearing shorts. These were pressed Bermuda type shorts with loafers and a dress shirt. I had to go to my cabin and change and then come back to meet my party there. I have noticed a much more casual trend though. We never really participate in formal night and opt for Windjammer on those nights.  For years I have been packing slacks and shirts for dinner. Is this really not required anymore? It would save a lot on a post cruise dry cleaning bill and far less to pack.

It has been years since I wore a suit on the cruise.  I dress in slacks and a button up shirt for formal nights and I would say I'm middle of the road as far as dress up for the MDR.  Seems like the formal dress up is getting less every cruise.   Please dont worry about what others think and have a good time.  Trust me......nice slacks and button up shirt will be fine.  

No need for a new suit, very very few will care if it's "dated".  Personally I like seeing guys wear the old suits, changes up the scenery in a good way.  Some of the older styles are more fashionable in my opinion.  I have one from the 80's someone gave me, I intend to get it tailored so I can wear it on our cruises.

12 hours ago, whenismynextcruise said:

I remember long ago being turned away at Chops because I was wearing shorts. These were pressed Bermuda type shorts with loafers and a dress shirt. I had to go to my cabin and change and then come back to meet my party there. I have noticed a much more casual trend though. We never really participate in formal night and opt for Windjammer on those nights.  For years I have been packing slacks and shirts for dinner. Is this really not required anymore? It would save a lot on a post cruise dry cleaning bill and far less to pack.

I do shorts, and a polo shirt in the MDR, and slacks, and a button down shirt in the pay restaurants 

22 hours ago, ellcee said:

Would it be possible to re-tailor the pants? It would be an expense but less than a whole new suit and then the suits would be more current for any occasion.

That is a possibility, hubby has lost quite a bit of weight and if he wears his existing

suits they will need tailoring

I kinda understand the shorts thing but to judge someone for what they are wearing I don't understand.  Maybe that couple you see in the main dining room has save all their life to go on this once in a lifetime vacation and can't afford a suit that they might not ever use again.  So if you think they should go to the Windjammer and eat with the "little people" maybe your the one that needs to go to the Windjammer and eat so you don't have to be around them.  I am not pointing a finger at anyone in particular just making a statement in general.

On 4/21/2018 at 10:33 AM, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Or you can go with the thought that you’ll never see any of those people again. 

This is very true, HOWEVER, I have to live with myself and my photos and those of my family.    Believe it or not, being Diamond, I have run across fellow Cruise Masters on other boats, so I really have to live with myself and them.   Shorts, jorts or sandals do NOT belong in a formal dining room. A lil sense of class never hurt anyone and enhances the whole cruise experience.   Again, I may be Old Skool, BUT I am not old!!   When in Rome....................

33 minutes ago, MikeK said:

I kinda understand the shorts thing but to judge someone for what they are wearing I don't understand.  Maybe that couple you see in the main dining room has save all their life to go on this once in a lifetime vacation and can't afford a suit that they might not ever use again.  So if you think they should go to the Windjammer and eat with the "little people" maybe your the one that needs to go to the Windjammer and eat so you don't have to be around them.  I am not pointing a finger at anyone in particular just making a statement in general.

No one said anything about the little people or even inferred as such.  Your words, NOT mine.   If you're going to go on a cruise, have some sense of decency and dress the part, even a little bit.  A pair of ironed slacks and a button-down collar won't break the bank and you'll feel better about yourself and look great in photos too.   I know people with million$ who dress down, but would never show up to a formal night in a pair of shorts or pool-side attire. 

Way i see it, it's RC who make the rules not the guests, so if RC dont want shorts in MDR on formal or any other night ban them!!! TOTAL BAN 

No one should judge or look down on anyone due to what they are wearing if RC says it's ok. In my opinon a nice pair of shorts with the right shirt or polo shirt can in fact look way better than a pair of trousers, it's not what you wear but how you wear it :10_wink: 

7 minutes ago, Ray said:

Way i see it, it's RC who make the rules not the guests, so if RC dont want shorts in MDR on formal or any other night ban them!!! TOTAL BAN 

No one should judge or look down on anyone due to what they are wearing if RC says it's ok. In my opinon a nice pair of shorts with the right shirt or polo shirt can in fact look way better than a pair of trousers, it's not what you wear but how you wear it :10_wink: 

Totally agree

On most cruises, I like a cigar after dinner, so my wife and I go up to the smoking area to be legal, we meet a couple up there doing the same thing, they were new cruisers so they were asking us a ton of questions, we asked if they had been to the main dinning room yet, they replied no, they hadn't packed anything nice to wear so they didn't want to go, it had nothing to do with what social status they were, their entire cruise plan was to lay by the pool and scuba/snorkel at every stop, so they packed mostly causal clothes, I told them if they wanted to go to the MDR to wear the best they had and go, they would be missing out on a huge benefit of the cruise if they missed the MDR.

So a couple of nights later my wife and I saw them on deck again, she was in a nice dress and he was in shorts with Polo and dock siders, they said they had taken our advice and went to the MDR and where glad they did, I asked if they planned on going back and they said probably.

I'm like most people on here, I don't wear a tux any more on formal night but I always wear slacks, nice shirt and jacket on formal nights, other nights just slacks and a polo, but that is my personal preference, like @Ray says, Royal is the one to enforce the no shorts rule, but remember, maybe that is all someone has...

49 minutes ago, Ray said:

I am not judging one way or another. I love to research before a trip. For my recent cruise one of the things I researched was what RC said the dress code was for the main dining room. Not everyone plans the way I do. Not everyone has the ability to buy new clothes. I will say I loved having the RC list as an excuse to insist my grown son had long pants and a shirt and tie for formal nights. He is not like his mom- he found out 5 days before the cruise that he could not button the pants on his suit.

Personally i will dress up for formal night, i have mentioned on a previous thread that im taking my kilt with me, but if there are people at my table wearing shorts then thats fine with me, fact is some shorts can be more expensive that a 3 piece suit ( well mine are :1_grinning:)

If I'm supposed to dress up, I will. If it's formal night and and I'm not in the mood to wear a dress and I have nice pants and a top on, so be it. My travel mate last time took formal night to another level - it was a borderline costume  - she looked beautiful. I, on the other hand, had a little black dress on.  Nothing fancy. I'd prefer people to put a little effort for the overall feel of the night BUT, at the end of the day, you do do. Mr-I'm-Wearing-Shorts is not ruining my night or my experience. I judge others on manners  not their clothing on a vacation.

Our last cruise was a big family cruise to celebrate Mom's 80th bday. We did what we wanted during the day, but always met up for dinner (11 of us). We had early seating (6pm?), & one excursion got us back to the ship (hot, sweaty, loaded down with souvenir bags) @ 545-- no time to even drop off the bags.  We were fairly decently dressed, & I'm prettty sure it was a casual night, but my DH did have to show up in shorts at the MDR when he normally would have switched to slacks for dinner. (girls & I were wearing either capris or bermuda shorts)