Another Power Outage-Puerto Rico

We stayed there for a couple days pre-cruise, and just before we left to head to the ship from our Air BnB we did have about a 20 minute power outage that appeared to affect all of Old San Juan. Apparently this is fairly common for them these days. 

That said, it wouldn't deter me from going back. I hope that this one is able to be resolved quickly. 

The tweet from the AP was forwarded to me from a fellow Reddit mod over Slack about 30 mins ago. According to Cruisetimetables.com, there were two ships scheduled in port today in San Juan: MSC Seaside and Carnival Glory. 

Thinking about Puerto Rico today, those poor people have been through so much since the hurricane last fall :( 

13 minutes ago, accio7 said:

Thinking about Puerto Rico today, those poor people have been through so much since the hurricane last fall :( 

As @KLAconQueso that is why I plan on visiting and taking a cruise in October of this year, I love San Juan, especially old San Juan and want to provide my financial input... 

3 minutes ago, Suzanne said:

We are flying in there on May 5th... Here is a story from our local news about the outage.

http://abc13.com/7-months-after-maria-island-wide-blackout-hits-puerto-rico/3361651/?sf187260087=1

Geez, I am praying this resolves long before then, but who knows. It seems the whole infrastructure is archaic. I hope this gets fixed for you Suzanne.  Saw on here 2 ships due to dock there today too.

5 minutes ago, Suzanne said:

Has anyone heard from the city? 

Suzanne I just heard that too on the news.  they said the same sub contractor was the one that knocked it out last week to some of the island! Geez, I sure hope they get this fixed. I wonder what happened to the 2 ships that were supposed to be there yesterday? Have anyone heard?

This is not really related to cruising per se, but the MLB regular season series vs the Twins and Indians went on as scheduled at Hiram Bithorn Stadium in San Juan on Tuesday and Wednesday. The mayor of San Juan tweeted that the ballpark ran on emergency power during last night's game which didn't end until past midnight here on the East Coast. (And, yes, being the baseball and cruise nerd that I am, I stayed up to watch it LOL.) 

So, it's nice to know that life can go on, at least for one day! @Suzanne and @tiny260, I have a port visit scheduled in San Juan for my Adventure cruise in December :) 

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

Just a question....all of PR has no power...BUT, the ballgame went on as normal? Or am I missing something here...

They had power generators in place to handle power for 48 hours.  I heard a report (because I enjoy baseball) that they were anticipating a power issue.