MIA - baggage check in

Returning to Port of Miami we used ship transfer to MIA.  After about a 20 minute bus ride we pulled into the airport to find long lines outside for baggage check in.  After 2 weeks of standing in lines waiting for things it was like "Oh, look...A line...Lets go stand in it."  We had never done outside check in before and It wasn't bad except for the rookie cruiser in front of us that had to re-pack two bags at the counter because one was over weight.  When we got to the counter the guy informed us that we could go upstairs to AA where they would check us in or stay here and check our bags where a gratuity was strongly suggested.  WHAT???  As I said, we had never done outside check in so this was rather a shock.  Ok, we were already into this process so I give the guy two bucks and said goodbye to our bags.  We had a three hour wait for our flight and then three hours to DFW.  Not bad until we landed at terminal C, DFW.  I get a text saying our our bags had come in on an earlier flight and to check at baggage office.  The nice man in terminal C said we could find them at baggage office,,,,in terminal A.  Anyway, we had a great 2 weeks so this is just another travel story.  We all have them.  :-)  It's a good chance we will not be using outside check in again.