How much can we bring back?

Pooch

13 hours ago, Pooch said:

I know we can bring 2 bottles of wine on board but how much can i buy & bring back?  We will be 3 adults cruising to mexico & i foresee lots of tequila purchases!

Each adult is allowed 2 bottles without having to pay a tax. I don’t remember if their are size restrictions on the bottles.

I think it will vary depending on the customs officer and port.  I've brought back 6 750l of rum once and he didn't even bat an eye.  I've see people carrying more than that but don't know if they got stopped.  Here is a link that might explain it better.  https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/424/kw/alcohol allowance/session/L3RpbWUvMTUyNDA2MjgyOC9zaWQvMlE3c3J1S24%3D  I know its not mexico but can't seeing it being much different.

50 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Ok that site is clear as mud.  Apparently Mexico is not one of the Caribbean Basin Initiative countries so the 5 liter rule does not apply (if I am reading correctly).  I will do more research.  Thanks for your replies.

Its a government, what do you expect?

7 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

From the cruise ship point of view, you can bring back how ever much you want(within reason for storage purposes)

What you can bring back with duty limits depends on your country of residence or state.

and that's what I'm trying to determine.  We will be sailing out of Tampa to Mexico and reside in Connecticut.  I would like to get a bottle of wine for my daughter-in-law, tequila for my son & one for us and a bottle of Baileys from the ships duty-free shop.  I'm sure my daughter who is cruising with us will want a bottle or two of something too.  So if we all get 2 bottles of something (and I am too old to understand L or ML for quantities!!!)  what will I have to declare and what will I have to pay duty on?

saw that one but it does not specify how much you can bring back duty-free.  I know I can bring back several bottles but not all will qualify as duty-free.  That's what I'm looking for.  We won't come close to the personal allowance of $800 each for all purchases but booze has other restrictions that are referenced but not explained that I can find.

I can only speak from Canada...we can bring  1.14l or about 40oz back into Canada. Everything else we pay duty and tax on...and that is not included in the $800 exception. As a rule, the duty and tax will make the cost of alcohol to be of no savings if you exceed your limit.

However, because we have such limited crappy liquors here in Canada(or at least on the Atlantic side).....I will often bring back more and willing to pay the duty...as it equals the high cost of what I would pay at home BUT it affords me the chance to enjoy different flavors and types we cant get here.

45 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Kind of the same topic -  if none of us exceed our $800 limit (leaving the booze question aside), do we have to declare anything?

In 20+ years of cruising I have never declared more than my Family limit, I did find this looking for something else though:

All articles acquired in Canada and Mexico must be declared. There is an $800 exemption for gifts and personal articles, including one liter of alcoholic beverages per person over 21 every 30 days.

Here, https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/canada-mexico-travel

5 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

$800 exemption for gifts and personal articles

I buy a bunch of t-shirts (Gifts and personal use) while on a cruise...

To answer your question, no I don't think so, it still is supposed to be declared. But I don't go to the trouble of declaring every item, it might say $400.00 clothing, etc..

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

Kind of the same topic -  if none of us exceed our $800 limit (leaving the booze question aside), do we have to declare anything?

If they ask you what is the value of goods being brought back anything you bought while away has to be declared, but you don't have to go into detail about it... could simply say spent $150 while away and if they ask on what you could offer the breakdown.. ex $100 on clothes, $50 on souvenirs, and if you bought any alcohol or tobacco you would include this as well. The customs officers will know whether or not you've exceeded your limit. 

That being said sometimes (like on the canada customs form when flying into canada from the US, not sure about elsewhere) the question will just ask if you've exceeded your personal exemption limit. If you haven't simply say no

Common sense would tell you don't try and hide anything.. you very well may be able to get away with it, but the price you'd have to pay if caught would definitely not be worth it !

3 hours ago, Pooch said:

and that's what I'm trying to determine.  We will be sailing out of Tampa to Mexico and reside in Connecticut.  I would like to get a bottle of wine for my daughter-in-law, tequila for my son & one for us and a bottle of Baileys from the ships duty-free shop.  I'm sure my daughter who is cruising with us will want a bottle or two of something too.  So if we all get 2 bottles of something (and I am too old to understand L or ML for quantities!!!)  what will I have to declare and what will I have to pay duty on?

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/190/kw/alcohol allowance  You are technically only allowed 1L per person duty free. A bottle of wine 750 ml so less than then 1 L duty free allowance but I'm not sure if your 2 bottles will count as .5 ml over or would they count the entire second bottle. You can bring more back per person however it could be subject to duty. 

I think the bigger question is how do you get all those bottles back without breaking in your checked luggage?

well 2 would stay in Florida as my daughter lives there.  And I think I can bring enough bubble wrap & zip lock bags to cover the rest.  My funny story - since my daughter moved to Florida in 2010, I have replenished her toiletries every time I come down, sort of my way of paying her for letting me come down so often.  I regularly check 20 to 30 bottles of shampoo/conditioner/bodywash etc. in my bag.  TSA opens it EVERY TIME.  I can only imagine what they think I'm doing with all of that!!!:6_smile:

And I guess no wine/ tequila for my son!!

Just like CGTHL says...just be truthful.   My wife has bought several pieces of expensive jewelry that put us well over the $800 limit and they have yet to charge us any fees.  We declare everything we bring back with the honest amount we payed for the merchandise.  You don't want to play the " I didn't realize you had to declare that" game with customs.