Cococay-Interesting article not wanting the expansion

Boston Babe

http://observer.com/2018/04/royal-caribbean-expansion-cococay-island-environment/

Saw this online. Take away what you want from it.  I know there was some back and forth on the blog regarding this expansion.  For me personally, I have not been there and suspect I would not want to go once this is completed, again that's just me.  

Really it has little to do with expansion.  Environmentalists don't want people on previously uninhabited islands because they are more concerned about the environment.  They mention jet skis and snorkeling and human waste, all things that are already happening at Coco Cay.  While the construction may introduce additional damage to the nature of the island, the ongoing effects are not going to be much different than they are now.

I understand where they are coming from, but my reasons for disliking the expansion plans are very much not the same as their reasons.

A lot to think about...and certainly increasing the capacity of the island is going to result in a lot more human waste....that's a given.

And cruise lines only care about the bottom line...well that should come to no surprise to anyone...certainly not environmentalists!

But as mentioned above, that's not my reason for disliking the expansion either.

One could argue that placing the Disney monstrosity in the center of Florida with its unique water shed feeding down into the everglades is an environmental disaster.   Same with allowing development just about anywhere.  There is always someone who opposes it.  Environmentalists serve to keep these mega companies in check but...

Those humans will generate waste, that's what us humans do.   If not at home then while on vacation. I guess the point is keep to your waste in your home country and don't travel?

BTW - the cruise lines do contribute to the economy of the Bahamas to the tune of multiple millions of dollars given to the government just for stopping there as well as taxes paid having ships registered in the Bahamas never mind the employment and money injected into the economy at ports like Nassau and Freeport by cruisers themselves.  Royal has leased the island.  Actual they acquired the lease when they acquired Admiral cruises.  The Bahamas is the lessor collecting the money on that lease.   In ways that some minds can't grasp that money too makes its way into the economy of the Bahamas.