Tips for cruising with an infant

DarcieP

We are going on a cruise in June with our little one who will be 7.5 months old. Looking for any tips/advice from those who have done so in the past. From do we bring the car seat for the taxi on the way to the ship? Size of the crib in the room on the ship? Stroller? Water? Etc. TIA!

Don't do it is my advice.....lol. Well no, but I never understood why people travel with such young kids. The kids get nothing out of it, and it limits the parents to not being able to enjoy a lot of the experience/vacation to say the least.

But, I know there are lots that do for what ever reasons....so hopefully you will get some feedback here. Might get more advice on the CC website as I don't know how many here have such young kids.

2 hours ago, DarcieP said:

We are going on a cruise in June with our little one who will be 7.5 months old. Looking for any tips/advice from those who have done so in the past. From do we bring the car seat for the taxi on the way to the ship? Size of the crib in the room on the ship? Stroller? Water? Etc. TIA!

Check out this podcast episode all about cruising with young kids: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/podcast/episode-180-guide-cruising-young-children-royal-caribbean

We did not bring a car seat with us for my son's first cruise, but did after that. I just want comfortable with him riding in my lap. 

I would bring a stroller especially if you plan on walking a lot. Just note that some of the ports aren't stroller friendly, but it will be useful in the ship. 

Bring everything that you might need and plan on bringing a little extra. It's also helpful to carry baby medication with you (e.g., fever reducer) just in case. 

Personally, I think cruising with infants and children is one of the best vacation options as you only have to unpack once, get to see a variety of ports, and have qualified child care onboard if wanted. This is one of the reason my son has cruised so much and the reason we've sailed twice as much since his birth than before. 

What ship will you be on? 

I would have my car seat but that is because I would have paid for an airline seat for my infant. Sorry but traveling with a lap child is a nightmare.

As for strollers, bring a high end umbrella stroller that reclines.  If you don't have one, it is one of the best investments and will carry you for years for both cruises and other trips. 

Bring more than you think you will need of diapers and food! 

I was frazzled with a five year old when we cruised before they made cruise ships family friendly with kid camps.

How large is your cabin?  That would probably be the largest consideration for setting up cribs, etc.  

Make sure you bring everything you think you will need,  I don't think they have much as far as baby supplies are concerned should you need food, formula, diapers, etc and shops near where the ships dock may not have a lot to offer.  From reading the posts, connecting cabins aren't as soundproof as the individual cabins. 

I'm not sure, but I don't know if most ships have facilities for children that young so the baby may have to be with one or both of you constantly.

It would help others if you document your trip so others who are planning to do this will have the benefits of your experience.

We cruised with an 11-month old and had no issues at all (helped that we were in a family suite and had 5 adults to share the love).

We opted for the child on lap option for flying and transfer to the pier.

The crib provided is a standard-sized "Pack and Play" and shouldn't be a problem except in the smallest interior cabin (if then).

We didn't bring a stroller, because our fully mobile, fully independent little one wouldn't sit still long enough for it to be useful.

One of the best things about cruising with an infant is all the attention paid by staff - many of them have families that they miss and they will always take some extra time to interact with your little one.

Use the nursery.

You can't take your baby in the pools.

Don't plan on doing anything except watching your baby the whole time (when they're not in the nursery).

Be aware of other passengers, and be courteous if your baby starts crying/fussing by taking them away from passengers who are trying to relax quietly.

Have fun, but realize vacation/cruising with a baby is so much less relaxing than without one.

We brought a basic umbrella stroller for our 1yr old.

We also brought our own packNplay.

We brought a 24pk of water on board with us to mix formula, or just for him to drink.

We didn't bring a car seat.

Talk to your pediatrician, ask if they can give you some prescriptions to bring on board, just in case.

On 4/17/2018 at 6:36 AM, DarcieP said:

If you're up for it, and get a chance, let us know how it goes with your little one.  There is definitely info and experience on this site for cruising with babies...just not as much as with the drink package ?...so the more stories the better.  We'll be trying to cruise with 2 little ones next year, so I'll be looking for more tips!

I am definitely in the camp that you can have an amazing vacation with your kids!!  Our first cruise was with our 2 year old.  We brought a Maclaren stroller (highly recommend-worked great on the rugged streets).  Each night, we fed the kids in the mdr, checked the older kids in the kids club and brought the 2 year old to the nursery.  They got him ready for bed and put him in the stroller once he was asleep.  We ate at another restaurant and when done, just wheeled him to our room.  They had a pack n play in our room, so that is where he slept.  I always bring our own carseat.  We did tours at each stop so we needed a carseat at each port.  I would also bring a front carrier.  Easier to run around the ship with the stairs.  Buy the photos in advance.  We got great family photos and nothing is cuter than a baby in a tux....