Any recourse from RCI changing staterooms on me?

Sailing to Western Caribbean in August 2018.  Booked in mid March.  Last week got a voicemail from a RCI "resolutions supervisor" about my stateroom.  I haven't called back yet but I can see in my account they have changed my stateroom from 6th deck (6046) to 2nd deck (2506), - from mid ship to front of ship.  6th deck is better on this ship (Majesty) and has a regular window, not a port hole (room 2506 has a port hole).  Before I call back, do I have any leverage in this matter?  How can this have been done without my approval?  Should I demand concessions of some sort?

Thanks for any feedback.  I've never sailed RCI so appreciate feedback from those that have.

Do you have the original confirmation that was emailed to you? I would call and raise hell if that is the case they just decided to move you. Unless you would rather have restitution via OBC or refund.  and I would make sure you speak with a supervisor.  Maybe others on this board knows something I don't, but if they confirmed you cabin, you paid your deposit I can't see how they can't compensate you. 

Just now, Lovetocruise2002 said:

What category exactly did you have and what category is it now that they have moved you to?

My original cruise vacation receipt from RCI states:  3N - 6046 Oceanview.

My online account  nows says I have 2506 Oceanview, but it doesn't state a category.   

2506 is also a 3N category but in my opinion it's a terrible stateroom!!!!  As those staterooms get closer forward the port hole moves further back away from the outside of the ship.  I was going to look at the inventory for your sailing but you did not mention the date.  

17 minutes ago, RaleighTrout said:

My original cruise vacation receipt from RCI states:  3N - 6046 Oceanview.

My online account  nows says I have 2506 Oceanview, but it doesn't state a category.   

I looked up your actual cabins, looks like you went from a 3N (now an F1) to cat. G. That looks like a downgrade. I would call RC asap. Even if you did book a guarantee (which you did not) you should not be downgraded. Like @Boston Babe is saying, they either should give you what you booked or higher or give you compensation. I would not let this rest. And yes, speak to a supervisor!

Edit: Sorry, wasn't looking at the May 2018 onwards deck plan. Even though they are both 3N, going to a lower deck is still somewhat of a down grade. Make sure you call.

1 minute ago, RBRSKI said:

2506 is also a 3N category but in my opinion it's a terrible stateroom!!!!  As those staterooms get closer forward the port hole moves further back away from the outside of the ship.  I was going to look at the inventory for your sailing but you did not mention the date.  

Oceanview rooms that fit my party size (4) are sold out.  Aug 20 is my sail date. 

25 minutes ago, RaleighTrout said:

Oceanview rooms that fit my party size (4) are sold out.  Aug 20 is my sail date. 

Just want to confirm, it's a party of 4?  If that's the case, the only staterooms currently available on your sailing are interior.  

5 minutes ago, Katiel53 said:

Were you in a cabin designated for 3 or 4 and there are only 2 of you?  Were you in a handicapped cabin and not handicapped?  If either of these apply, they can move you without it being your choice or being notified.

Party of 4 and paid deposit for a cabin that handles 4.  No handicapped room applies either.

Just now, RaleighTrout said:

Party of 4 and paid deposit for a cabin that handles 4.  No handicapped room applies either.

Then I guess your guess is as good as mine.  No idea why they would move you.  Please post once you find out.  It will be interesting to know what they say,  Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all - wanted to report an update on this.  Sorry for the delay.

I spoke with Robert who called me from the RCI Resolutions Dept.  He told me the cabin had previously been booked and should not have shown up as being available when I called in, but it was a glitch in their system.  He also said it was a glitch with the price I got, but they would honor that price.  I wondered why when I called in it was $360 less than the price shown on the RCI website.  The current price for my party of 4 via the website is $1828 and I paid $1284

I didn't push the issue too hard. They issued me a new receipt which shows 2506.   But I do give RCI credit for following up with me and explaining the situation.  They did not offer OBC for the mistake, but my guess is because I already got a pretty good deal.    

I'm sorry this happened to you.  It certainly puts a "small" damper on what should be an exciting vacation.  I think the right thing for them to have done is contact you directly to discuss the options instead of simply moving you without an initial explanation, since the glitch was on their end.

I'm happy you were able to resolve it and I hope you have an awesome cruise anyway!  They should throw in a drink package....  Lol.

one follow up question for anyone reading this.  RCI told me if a stateroom in my same category was available, they would switch me to it with no change in fare.

Cabin 4008 is available.  It has a regular picture window, no port hole, but it doesn't have two Pullman beds, only 1.  So it would be 3 twin beds on the floor (without ability to put two together) and one Pullman.  2506 has  two twin beds (which can be put together) and 2 Pullmans. 

I know Majesty of the Seas has small rooms. It seems like a third twin bed on the floor would really make that room small.  The + would be a picture window and a higher level deck.  

7 minutes ago, RaleighTrout said:

RCI told me if a stateroom in my same category was available, they would switch me to it with no change in fare.

That's right, but it has to be the same category code, not just stateroom type.

What that means is there are often multiple sub categories of a particular kind of stateroom.  So there isn't just one kind of balcony or interior room.  So you need to ensure the room you are changing to has the same room category code.

2 hours ago, henrysea13 said:

be careful the cabins on majesty are tiny I was in a oceanview on deck three solo and it was barely large enough for me in my ov you in no way could have fit another bed

I decided to keep Stateroom 2506 and see if something better comes along in the next 100 days.  I know the rooms are very small on Majesty, but this cruise fit our timeframe, departure port and budget schedule.  I WILL take a cruise on one of these Oasis ships, but for this first RCI cruise my family is really looking forward to it.  We don't plan to be in our cabin much outside sleeping, and we chose this cruise because of the 2 Mexico ports of call, Costa Maya and Cozumel - we have never been there.

BTW, I'm a newbie to RCI and appreciate the ideas and topics brought up and discussed here.   Thank you

6 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

You picked 2 great ports to start off with.  I know you will enjoy it !

Thanks!    For about the price of renting a condo for a week on the coast of NC (we live in NC and have done that many times), we will be able to cruise to Mexico instead.    We are looking at doing a ruins tour in one port and then a beach  resort in the other.  

Just now, mworkman said:

Im in Playa del Carmen as i type this, which is right across from Cozumel....are you doing the Tulum ruins? Were going there this Sunday.

Don't know yet.  Initial thought was Mayan Experience tour in Costa Maya (which is Chacchoben ruins)  and then a resort in Cozumel but could certainly flip the script. 

23 hours ago, RaleighTrout said:

Don't know yet.  Initial thought was Mayan Experience tour in Costa Maya (which is Chacchoben ruins)  and then a resort in Cozumel but could certainly flip the script. 

I would stick with your plans, Costa Maya is on the mainland and should be closer to ruins, Cozumel you have to take a ferry to the mainland and then drive a couple more hours.

There are ruins on Cozumel but they are not much to speak of IMO.

I don't recall if you mentioned your children's ages, but i would try Mr Sancho's, great food and plenty for the kids to do, you don't need to book through Royal, you can book direct and take a taxi. If no kids I would say Nachi Cocom, but they don't have toys like Mr Sancho's. You can google these places for reference.

1 hour ago, tiny260 said:

I would stick with your plans, Costa Maya is on the mainland and should be closer to ruins, Cozumel you have to take a ferry to the mainland and then drive a couple more hours.

There are ruins on Cozumel but they are not much to speak of IMO.

I don't recall if you mentioned your children's ages, but i would try Mr Sancho's, great food and plenty for the kids to do, you don't need to book through Royal, you can book direct and take a taxi. If no kids I would say Nachi Cocom, but they don't have toys like Mr Sancho's. You can google these places for reference.

Thanks for the info.  My kids are ages 10 and 16