April 14-21 Anthem of the Seas Somewhat live blog

PrincipalTinker

One final footnote: I think I mentioned that I was traveling with my son and his girlfriend. Since we all work in a school system, the norovirus is part of our work environment. We were not scared and we took every precaution we could. My son’s girlfriend woke up throwing up this morning. It looks like norovirus but it is really stretching that 48 hour window.

2 hours ago, PrincipalTinker said:

One final footnote: I think I mentioned that I was traveling with my son and his girlfriend. Since we all work in a school system, the norovirus is part of our work environment. We were not scared and we took every precaution we could. My son’s girlfriend woke up throwing up this morning. It looks like norovirus but it is really stretching that 48 hour window.

Lots of reports over on CC about people on your sailing falling ill after getting home. Just read that last night. 

On 4/17/2018 at 10:55 PM, PrincipalTinker said:

Norovirus has been going around.

2 hours ago, PrincipalTinker said:

My son’s girlfriend woke up throwing up this morning. It looks like norovirus but it is really stretching that 48 hour window.

Ugh, I hope your son's girlfriend gets better soon, that's just no way to spend the time right after a relaxing vacation!

It's probably just the fact that we have so many folks here sailing on her and live blogging it, but it seems like Anthem has been getting hit with this more than any other ship I've seen reports of over the last several months. I seem to remember @J_Keeble reporting an outbreak that happened right before his trip (November last year?), leading to extra-heavy cleaning and precautions on his sailing. And I think either @twangster or @iamjohnbamber also reported an outbreak on one of their sailings before / after @J_Keeble, or maybe again was the week before their trips. Then again, @Lovetocruise2002 had no issues on her really recent sailing, so it's most likely (bad) luck of the draw. But I'm definitely going to be extra-careful when my wife and I sail her in October! :38_worried:

30 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

But I'm definitely going to be extra-careful when my wife and I sail her in October!

I recommend you pack a couple of cans of Lysol spray disinfectant. Not for use in your cabin, but rather to hose down the idiots that avoid the hand disinfectant stations at the entrance to the dining venues as well as the recalcitrant individuals in the men's room that don't wash their hands. :27_sunglasses: 

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Ugh, I hope your son's girlfriend gets better soon, that's just no way to spend the time right after a relaxing vacation!

It's probably just the fact that we have so many folks here sailing on her and live blogging it, but it seems like Anthem has been getting hit with this more than any other ship I've seen reports of over the last several months. I seem to remember @J_Keeble reporting an outbreak that happened right before his trip (November last year?), leading to extra-heavy cleaning and precautions on his sailing. And I think either @twangster or @iamjohnbamber also reported an outbreak on one of their sailings before / after @J_Keeble, or maybe again was the week before their trips. Then again, @Lovetocruise2002 had no issues on her really recent sailing, so it's most likely (bad) luck of the draw. But I'm definitely going to be extra-careful when my wife and I sail her in October! :38_worried:

It can happen on any ship but Anthem has had a bit more reports than other RC ships.  I've noticed that too from my readings.  Just remember, not all sanitizers kill Norovirus.  If you are going to purchase something, make sure you read the labels carefully.  There are only a small handful of products that kill the virus.

1 hour ago, rjac said:

Is throwing the sick SOB overboard one of these "products"?

Unfortunately not. Lol. That solution would only lead you to a bigger germ factory that is way scarier than a cruise ship. 

I know of two products: Oxivir TB wipes and Clorox Healthcare Clinical Hydrogen Peroxide wipes. @twangster has also listed another before but I cannot remember the name. 

On 4/18/2018 at 3:28 PM, PrincipalTinker said:

Today is our scheduled Nassau day. We booked a brewery tour. We really enjoyed the tour. I don’t know how to post text between photos? Our tour guide was Jamie. There were only five of us on the tour since there in the group were sick on the boat. This is a walking tour and at each stop we were to sample three beers. I believe they were 4 oz pours, but at the middle stop we needed to drink all of the beer so there were refills.

The first stop was here and was accompanied by conch fritters.

94B9F49B-8C82-4F39-B55D-9B00EB382743.jpeg

E18DB047-78C3-4CB3-8F8B-A329B86B98D3.jpeg

I am going to do this tour in November!