4 night dining package

Hi all. 

This will be my first time reverting back to peasant class after a few star class voyages. I think I've convinced my folks into booking a 4 night dining package.

How do these work? I know you get  a reservation made on your behalf on night 1 or 2.. but you can change that.

Are there any exclusions?   It is 125 CAD right now.. Chops is currently 61 CAD on the cruise planner, so this seems like a good deal.

Also, my little one will be travelling with us- she'll be just shy of 5... Anyone recall what the rate for a kid's specialty dinner is?

I know @Matt has talked about these packages on different podcasts, but that's a lot of podcasts I'd have to sift through.

Thanks

Welcome back to peasant class!  (or the ant colony as my friend refers to it).

Like most dining packages it works by them initially assigning most of it.  You won't find out what they have in mind until you board.  However you usually have the ability to modify their plan for your 4 dinners depending of course on availability.  This leads to the realization that you are best to deal with it soon as you can after boarding so that you can modify their vision to fit your desires.  Typically you can visit any speciality restaurant to do so on day 1.  I once stopped by a restaurant I didn't even book just because it was a few feet from boarding just so I could book other restaurants.  Managing larger parties will require more work depending on the numbers so trying to do so on day 2+ is likely not going to yield good results.  

I did a five night package and simply made/changed my reservations once onboard. There will be plenty of people in the Royal Promenade when you board to make reservations for you and/or to change any that you might have. In my experience, you're only tentatively assigned dining on the first night.

I did a 4-night specialty dining package on the Allure last month.  They didn't pre-book any of my restaurants for me.  As soon as we boarded on the promenade, there was a crew member at a podium with a sign for dinner reservations.  I booked all 4 of mine then and there.  You can always change them if you change your mind later (I switched out the Solarium/Samba grill for another visit to Chops later on), but you've got it all set in case things fill up.

1 hour ago, hayley_bopp said:

I think the dining packages look like good value but I want to eat in the MDR on nights 1 & 2 so think we're probably best just to go with individual bookings. 

I completely understand.  Keep an eye out for discounts offered once onboard. I've had decent luck in looking through the Cruise Compass for them, or talking to waiters who walk around the ship looking to drum up business.