Allure Ceasing Roatan Stops?

1 hour ago, DunkelBierJay said:

I saw on a post on Ship Mate that Allure is ceasing stops at Roatan effective in May. I have a June sailing booked and would be cruahed if this is true. Has anyone heard anything?

I saw a thread over on the other boards about this too. It said, the Roatan Tourism Bureau reported yesterday morning that "Allure of the Seas has cancelled the rest of the season there".  They said some smaller ships can still dock but Allure cannot. A lot of discussion around what exactly and how long "the rest of the season" is. That's all I have. 

29 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I saw a thread over on the other boards about this too. It said, the Roatan Tourism Bureau reported yesterday morning that "Allure of the Seas has cancelled the rest of the season there".  They said some smaller ships can still dock but Allure cannot. A lot of discussion around what exactly and how long "the rest of the season" is. That's all I have. 

I wonder if it has anything to do with the MSC Armonia damaging the dock the other day. 

1 minute ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

That is exactly the reason....according to the thread.

I think I found the same article you cited. It was easy on google. Not looking good — $10 million in damage. Btw, the captain of the Armonia is Ciro Pinto. I had to trash him and MSC on Twitter. Just think of preventing the tourism dollars a ship as big as Allure brings every other week  the merchants on Roatan just be seething.

A lot of people have seen the video...if not here’s the link:

10 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Where will Allure go in place of Roatan?

That's the $100k question.  

Another cruise line wrecks the pier and now RC has a potentially upset customer base they have to deal with and scramble to find another port in an era where there are so many ships from so many cruise lines all competing for dock space.  

And it's not even hurricane season, yet...

41 minutes ago, twangster said:

That's the $100k question.  

Another cruise line wrecks the pier and now RC has a potentially upset customer base they have to deal with and scramble to find another port in an era where there are so many ships from so many cruise lines all competing for dock space.  

And it's not even hurricane season, yet...

I’m completely gutted over this because Roatan was a big factor in picking this itinerary. A decent consolation would be San Juan if that left turn after Nassau doesn’t mess up the timeline too much in the beginning of the itinerary. Maybe it would work at the end where Roatan was placed. I wouldn’t mind Labadee, because I’ve only scratched the surface there. Other than that, I don’t think there are any ports that can accommodate Allure unless Coco Cay’s pier is complete and unoccupied. There’s got to be a lot of dominoes that are affected by this. At any rate, the liklihood of ever booking MSC is pretty much nil now. 

1 hour ago, DunkelBierJay said:

I’m completely gutted over this because Roatan was a big factor in picking this itinerary. A decent consolation would be San Juan if that left turn after Nassau doesn’t mess up the timeline too much in the beginning of the itinerary. Maybe it would work at the end where Roatan was placed. I wouldn’t mind Labadee, because I’ve only scratched the surface there. Other than that, I don’t think there are any ports that can accommodate Allure unless Coco Cay’s pier is complete and unoccupied. There’s got to be a lot of dominoes that are affected by this. At any rate, the liklihood of ever booking MSC is pretty much nil now. 

I understand.  San Juan is an unlikely substitute due to position.  From Florida San Juan is too far into the Eastern Caribbean without converting the whole trip to Eastern.  The pier at CocoCay is not likely going to be ready in time, I think the 1st OA class were set to call there in 2019.  

Costa Maya, Cozumel and Roatan are all relatively close to each other.  Inserting Falmouth adds about 500 miles and would require high speed legs likely changing the economics of the trip.  Same with Labadee.  Progresso comes to mind but I'm not sure about OA class there.

They could look at overnighting somewhere or adding a sea day.  

Quite a dilemma - add a more distant port that changes the profitability equation into the red or add a sea day and have upset customers.  

55 minutes ago, Scatmanjack said:

Is this event only potentially effecting larger class ships at this point or all traffic to Roatan?

Considering Liberty itinerary in August 2018 with Roatan stop... If it gets dropped that would probably drop this cruise for us as well... 

I can't answer your question but I was on Liberty and stopped there last year and it would be a stretch to tie off Liberty with the end of the pier missing so I can see why Allure has dropped.

Looking at the image, you can clearly see that Liberty needs the full pier.

@twangster posted pictures on this blog from the ships perspective.

DSC02396.JPG

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I'm guessing Costa Maya but have no basis for this other than the proximity of this port to the others on this itin.

Costa Maya is already on the itinerary...we are headed to Maya Chan, btw. The itinerary already had four ports, so I wouldn't be surprised if it ends with two sea days.

3 hours ago, monctonguy said:

If this has been announced, surprising that Royal hasn't contacted those that have cruises with that port, or would they wait till they are onboard to tell them about the itinerary change I wonder. As really the customer has no say  or input into this anyways.

I saw on C.C. that the itinerary two weeks before mine was altered, but I only saw that they cancelled Roatan. I didn't see any alternative ports.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Cruise Critic reports no stops cancelled (yet) https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8564

The tone of that article is hopeful...however with Allure being 37 meters longer than Getaway, I'm sure Royal is keeping it's options open and that we won't know for sure until May 10 if/when they try to dock.