Facebook Groups Cruises

Am i being paranoid or what? I've joined a couple and have noticed that the individual who started the group also administrator, has created over 300 groups with several cruise lines and not one pic of them on a cruise ship or even a mention of that individual being on a cruise. What is there motive? To gain access to what you post and data mine whatever info that they can gather from you or what you allow them to see if your account isn't locked down. This individual (Based on what his profile say, not in the U.S.) could be collecting info.

I posted this over a CC and within 15 minutes it was removed without any notification as to why it was being removed.  Like you would ever get that info. LOL

I noticed a Facebook Group page for my cruise in October.... come to find out it was an "Home Based Travel Agent" that created it for the group she booked --- you'll find occasional ads for her business posted on it ... That's all well and good for them, but not what I'm looking for.

With that being said, I'm going to just start one myself .... I noticed with the other one, the posts are few and far between .... not exactly an active group.

2 hours ago, mworkman said:

Am i being paranoid or what? I've joined a couple and have noticed that the individual who started the group also administrator, has created over 300 groups with several cruise lines and not one pic of them on a cruise ship or even a mention of that individual being on a cruise. What is there motive? To gain access to what you post and data mine whatever info that they can gather from you or what you allow them to see if your account isn't locked down. This individual (Based on what his profile say, not in the U.S.) could be collecting info.

I posted this over a CC and within 15 minutes it was removed without any notification as to why it was being removed.  Like you would ever get that info. LOL

Not sure about the individual you are talking about but it probably got removed from CC if you mentioned FB. That's a no-no over there.

I would be suspicious too if I were you. I have joined FB groups too for sailings. Not many but a few. But all of the ones I have joined were created by people from the CC roll call who were also on the sailing.

It could be data mining, but it could just be someone who has decided that it is their sworn duty to create and maintain meet groups.  I know DCL has a very well known one who apparently is quite a chore to deal with.  Which sounds exactly like the kind of person who would create a group for every sailing so they can run it.  Sometimes too they are trying to sell things cruise related and using that as a way to find customers.

If you are concerned but still want to join you can always create a fake account on FB and join with that.

My thoughts went to data minding when I seen that this individual doesn't post pics of cruises that they have taken or plan on taking with this group or any group that he has created for that matter.  So my thought process went immediately to data mining for info to sell.  Knowing that's how information is collected for credit card fraud or banking account access is gained.

I'm always hesitant, especially on FB, to post in the sailing groups as I'm advertising I'm not home that week.  I'm even hesitant to post on CC, or anywhere, as there is no vetting of the posters and who knows who is out there just to rob you when they know you are out.  There is no way of knowing if the people in the group are actually on the sailing or not.  FB uses real names, so it's much easier to figure out where you live than on CC or other places.  I'm not very trusting...I admit that.  I'm even weary of posting in the periscopers group that I'm traveling, as most members are there to lurk & watch than actually scope.  But I do it anyway....

Based on the description, it sounds like someone trying to potentially rope in some new clients.  

I like to find a good FB group for a sailing I'm on, but I'd only join one that has a robust group of folks and a conversation that does not reek of spam. 

If all else fails, consider starting your own group!

@Matt That's the funny part as this individual didn't allow vendors in.  Hence why i was skeptical of him establishing over 100 group pages with various cruise lines.

I concur with starting one's own group page for just that cruise.... but I'm on the lazy side and wouldn't care for all the bickering why i was away and couldn't keep an eye on it.

I joined a roll call group for Allure on an upcoming sailing.  After joining, I found out the mod or whatever she is called is a travel agent.  I do think she is trying to drum up business in that she has mentioned a couple of times she has some group space available that has to be released soon.  Another FB group, not or a particular cruise, is run by someone who runs an agency.  He posts info on several pages and he is also trying to drum up business.  I haven't ever heard him mention a cruise he, himself has sailed on or will be sailing on.  It might be that he doesn't sail on Royal Caribbean, but I don't know.

I also don't have any of my person info on my FB page so I get called a troll frequently.  In addition, other than the roll call site for the cruise, I never post that I will be leaving in x many days for my cruise.