Do you take your passports off the ship with you?

soap_box_speaker.png

Many of you already hit the important notes, but just a reminder....

• A Passport card will not get you out of the country if you get stuck there
  • A photo of your passport is as useful as a photo of cash
  • Leaving your passport on the ship while you are in port is useless

In short, invest in a passport and bring it with you every time you leave the ship.

I feel better now :14_relaxed:

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

soap_box_speaker.png

In short, invest in a passport and bring it with you every time you leave the ship.

I agree with Matt.  Whats the point in having a passport if you really need it and it's locked up in the safe on the ship!

1 hour ago, Matt said:

soap_box_speaker.png

LOL

The purpose of the picture of passport is you can get granted a temp passport at an Embassy that will get you along your way.  If you don't have proof..here is where time isn't on your side...you then fill out paperwork and wait for a response back from the State Department to look you up in the system....Like someone's going to jump right on it at the State Department! LOL Not gonna happen anytime soon.  Where as a pic gives the Embassy all the info and proof that you have a passport and can grant you one on the spot.

19 hours ago, mworkman said:

The purpose of the picture of passport is you can get granted a temp passport at an Embassy that will get you along your way.

I believe the purpose of a passport is to avoid going to the embassy in the first place.

If you're the sort of person who prefers not to buy a passport because of the cost/hassle, fine.  Roll the dice on birth certificate and save the cash long term.

But if you actually buy the passport, I don't see the rationale of leaving it in the room anymore so than any other valuable that you bring off the ship with you such as cash, phone, jewelry, etc.

12 minutes ago, Pooch said:

And where would the nearest Embassy be if I were stuck in Cozumel?  Oh wait, if I were "stuck" in Cozumel,  would I care????

I'm so glad you asked.  For Cozumel, here's what's posted about the US Embassy in the Cruise Compass....

IMG_6254.jpg\

Like many of you, I have no idea where Cuahtemoc is either so I google mapped it.....

Screenshot.png

21 hours by car!!!!!!!!

TAKE YOUR PASSPORT WITH YOU

The U.S. Embassy is located on the capital of México, México City.

Cuauhtemoc is the neighborhood or district where the embassy is located.

However there is a Consular Agency in Cancún that could help you 

Cancún
Blvd. Kukulcan Km 13
La Europea Tower, Despacho 301
Cancún, Quintana Roo C.P. 77500

Phone: From México (01) 800 681 9374, from USA (1) 844 528 6611
E-Mail: [email protected]

1 hour ago, carlosalonsor said:

The U.S. Embassy is located on the capital of México, México City.

Cuauhtemoc is the neighborhood or district where the embassy is located.

However there is a Consular Agency in Cancún that could help you 

Cancún
Blvd. Kukulcan Km 13
La Europea Tower, Despacho 301
Cancún, Quintana Roo C.P. 77500

Phone: From México (01) 800 681 9374, from USA (1) 844 528 6611
E-Mail: [email protected]

closer but still, I'm with Matt.  Just take the darn passport with you!!!

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:39 AM, RamblingRandie said:

So I have been on 8 previous cruises and I have always been told to leave my passport on the ship because you don't want to lose it.  I've also heard if you miss the boat that they will go into your safe and remove your passport and leave it with a pier agent.  I have never stressed about it because so far I have always either done a ship excursion or just walked around the port.  But recently I have seen a lot more chatter about this topic and people seem very opinionated on both sides of this debate.  So I wonder what everyone here does? 

we always take a photo on our phone just in case

1 minute ago, Pooch said:

ok, makes me less comfortable leaving things in the safe.

If I remember correctly, there is a procedure that the cruise line goes through, to the extent that an Officer has to be present if they are going to open it.

Those digital locks are run off of a battery, if the battery goes out in the middle of your cruise wouldn't you want them to be able to get in?

Just now, tiny260 said:

If I remember correctly, there is a procedure that the cruise line goes through, to the extent that an Officer has to be present if they are going to open it.

This is correct.  A few cruises ago, we messed up the code on our safe (don't even remember how).  We had to get them open it for us and they had to wait for an Officer to show up first.

14 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

This is correct.  A few cruises ago, we messed up the code on our safe (don't even remember how).  We had to get them open it for us and they had to wait for an Officer to show up first.

Similar thing happened to us where someone had to come open it.  They hooked the safe up to a device and wham, it opened up.

It's the same as a hotel with an in room safe.  Someone can come override it if necessary but they don't give that ability to every member of house keeping.

I recently bought a safe for my house.  It comes with a preprogrammed (and unchangeable) code that is known to the manufacturer and I can set (and change) my own code.  So that works the same way as well.  Someone else knows how to get into my safe but will only do so in an emergency (and after I prove that I'm the owner and have forgotten my code).

This is one of those stories that you hate to hear, it was actually a pier runner story, but a couple was left behind because they missed the boat, the next 2 days were sea days and then home port, they had to meet the ship at home port so they could get all their luggage and the stuff out of the safe, they had over $25K worth of jewelry in the safe, the ship wouldn't open the safe until the people were there.