Do you take your passports off the ship with you?

So I have been on 8 previous cruises and I have always been told to leave my passport on the ship because you don't want to lose it.  I've also heard if you miss the boat that they will go into your safe and remove your passport and leave it with a pier agent.  I have never stressed about it because so far I have always either done a ship excursion or just walked around the port.  But recently I have seen a lot more chatter about this topic and people seem very opinionated on both sides of this debate.  So I wonder what everyone here does? 

3 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We leave it in the safe unless the Cruise compass say that a certain port requires photo ID. If so, then we bring it.  

I agree, I had never taken mine on shore with us either, until last October I was on Allure and I noticed the Cruise Compass said to take it with you. There was even signage at the disembarkation area that said you would need your Sea Pass card and a photo ID. I remember one stop I had to provide it to get through the Security check point and another stop never asked to see it. So I think it is really still hit and miss.

Guest toodle68

There was a time when I would never set foot on 'foreign' soil without my passport and a credit card.. the last couple of cruises we have paid more attention to what the cruise compass says, but always take a photo ID regardless (drivers license).  If we were going to a country outside of the Caribbean, then I would likely take the passport.

No idea if they go into your room and open the safe

3 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We leave it in the safe unless the Cruise compass say that a certain port requires photo ID. If so, then we bring it.  

3 hours ago, tiny260 said:

I agree, I had never taken mine on shore with us either, until last October I was on Allure and I noticed the Cruise Compass said to take it with you. There was even signage at the disembarkation area that said you would need your Sea Pass card and a photo ID. I remember one stop I had to provide it to get through the Security check point and another stop never asked to see it. So I think it is really still hit and miss.

Doesn't a driver's license still work as photo ID?

I have been wondering the same thing.  Technically on a closed loop cruise (out & into the same US port) to the Caribbean, you don’t need a passport at all correct?  The arguments for the passport all seem to center around having to get home from the destination if you miss the ship.  Well if i leave my passport on board and i’m still on land, what good does it do me??? 

I always take ours on shore.  I have never heard they will go into your safe.  And, I mean - really?  They're already late b/c you missed the boarding time & they're going to go into your stateroom, open your safe and leave your passport w/ a pier agent?  Hmm.... I don't think I want to risk it.

Besides, what happens if you missed the ship b/c you ended up hospitalized?  Who's going back to the pier to get your passport?

Remember, you are in a foreign country.  If you miss the ship for any reason (taxi or bus breaks down, you get injured or ill, get arrested, stuck in traffic, or any other delay) you can’t leave the country without a passport.  I always use a passport (even though a birth certificate or passport card is acceptable to board a Caribbean cruise) and I always carry my passport ashore.  Otherwise your day goes from bad to worse while you wade through the red tape of getting out of the country.

Also, you can not use a passport card for air travel, so if all you have is a passport card and you miss the ship, you can NOT just board the next flight off the island... and if they won’t accept a valid passport card at the airport, what do you think they will say when you show them your phone with a photo of your passport... or a paper copy?

At least with a passport you have a chance to catch a flight to the next port and resume your cruise instead of waiting for a day or two to get a replacement.

Edited by Galveston Steve
Added passport card info.

13 hours ago, mworkman said:

I leave passport in the ships safe and bring my phone with me that has a pic of my passport info.

Thanks for the idea.  We have always carried paper copies of our passports separate from the passports as backup. The picture on the phone is a great way to do this! Just be sure to secure that photo with a password or other lock.

I don’t know guys, and certainly you have WAY more experience with this, i feel like my drivers license, my CC, my phone and my passport should be with me whenever i leave the cocoon of the ship.  Guess i’ll just have to think on it!

14 hours ago, mworkman said:

I leave passport in the ships safe and bring my phone with me that has a pic of my passport info.

I have always carried my passport with me without it you could find yourself at the mercy of senior law enforcement believe it or not the only problem I have ever had was on labadee with there secret police ha ha just kidding he was there customs I guess he thought I was being smart with him when he wanted to look under my wheel chair bound 13 yr old daughters butt I made some comment don't even remember what I said and I got the dreaded do you think this is a joke speech well I quickly appoligized and we were on our way I have a feeling this could have gotten much worse in the future I believe I will try the passport on the phone method after I clear it with US customs after my next port visit

Guest toodle68

At the end of the day, it's all about your level of risk and which country you are visiting.

Worse case is that you are stuck in a foreign country for several days as opposed to driving to the airport and catching the next plane out.  A photo of your passport is unlikely to get you through an airport. Drivers licenses and even passport cards have limited uses depending on the country. 

We have a small travel safe that we keep our important stuff in when we go ashore.  It locks around something so if we are on a beach and decide to go into the water we do not have to sweat leaving our stuff on the beach.   Its not enough to deter a career and seasoned criminal but its enough for most.  I try to lock it around a lounger that we are in and cover it with my towel and book bag.  That being said, we carry ours with us for the most part, and leave them in the travel safe with the cash we bring onshore.

Just know that the picture is somewhat deceptive as to the amount you will be able to fit in there, its perfect for a small cell phone, two passports and  some cash.  You will be able to fit some small items in there after that but not much.  IMHO its perfect and unobtrusive in size, unless it is a very small camera you will not be able to fit it in there. :14_relaxed: