Excursion in St. Thomas- Magens Bay Beach Getaway

MamaB

Has anyone done this excursion? Is transportation to and from included (there is a note about return possibly being your own expense?)

Also, does anyone know how much the beach chair rentals cost? Any reviews on this excursion are greatly appreciated! Thanks!! 

When I go to Magens Bay Beach I just get a local 'safari' taxi.  This is a shared taxi ride.  It is ~$8 per person one-way plus tip.  The park itself is run by the local USVI government and charges a $5 per person entrance fee.  Ask the driver to stop by Drake's Seat for a nice view of Magens Bay before going down the hill to get there.

From a December trip to Magens Bay Beach:

5acdfbfab3352_MagensRentals.jpeg.4447e9e3eb4f3c8521c0b1548d2a8a0d.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Anyone been recently or know if pricing still about the same? Going with a group of 7 and have been tasked (voluntold) with researching transportation options and cost to Magen's Bay. Not interested in ship excursions since they are at the beach for only 2 hours.

Also how long is the ride mid morning and what time should we depart to have plenty of time to make it back to the ship? 

We did that excursion a year ago. Was nice in that we got a little scenic tour of the island but, if you're just looking to head straight to the beach, you'd probably be better off just getting a taxi to head straight there. 

The "return at your own expense" is in reference to where it stops on your way back. A lot of people want to go shopping so the bus will stop and let people off in Charlotte Amalie if they want. If you choose to get off there, you would have to arrange your own transportation back to the ship. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 10:07 AM, Wilson said:

Anyone been recently or know if pricing still about the same?

Yep, we went in August and paid $10pp for one of the shared open-air taxis over to Magen's. We left the ship at 10:15 and were at the beach by 11 BUT we walked to the nearby grocery store to buy cocktail-making supplies and our taxi also stopped at Drakes Seat to put oil in the truck (!!) so I expect it was probably only a 20 minute ride. The $5 pp entry fee is still the same once you get over there. We made arrangements for the same taxi to come back and get us at 3 and he was there waiting. 

5 hours ago, DDaley said:

We made arrangements for the same taxi to come back and get us at 3 and he was there waiting. 

Thank u. I will make sure to request they come back for the return trip. Hopefully there will be other taxis available if they fail to come get us. 

6 hours ago, Wilson said:

Thank u. I will make sure to request they come back for the return trip. Hopefully there will be other taxis available if they fail to come get us. 

Typically there are taxis unless you push your luck and purposely try to be the last people on the beach.  The safari taxis are shared, they will try to put as many people on as possible so they aren't driving around with just two people but there is a time limit on how long they can wait to add more, typically 10 minutes or less.