Solarium on Oasis for Dinner

pdurney

I ate dinner a few times in the Solarium Bistro on the Anthem last July.  There was only a charge for certain dishes, like lobster and filet mignon and at that time it was very reasonable- like $10.   You had to make a reservation to guarantee a seat at dinner. I thought the food, variety,  and service were  great.  A lot of people are unaware of it's existence (shhhh!) so it is not overcrowded.  At lunch it is a buffet and at dinner it is buffet and also made to order dishes.   I am sailing on the Allure in May and from what I understand, the Solarium Bistro serves lunch but it becomes the Samba Grill (Brazilian) in the evening and that is an up charge restaurant.  

12 minutes ago, Garnet21 said:

I am sailing on the Allure in May and from what I understand, the Solarium Bistro serves lunch but it becomes the Samba Grill (Brazilian) in the evening and that is an up charge restaurant.  

That's correct, we ate there for our last night on Allure in October, the only problem was that I was on food overload by the last night and while the food had good flavor I didn't really eat very much, I would probably go eat there again but move it up in the week.

All the meat had excellent flavor and was really tender, typical Brazilian steak house, they just cut you off a few slivers for you to try.

22 hours ago, FLGooner said:

Yes, Oasis Solarium Bistro is now regarded as a Specialty Restaurant in the evenings and charges a cover.Breakfast and Lunch are still free.

Was complimentary for dinner on our cruise last November and is still listed as no charge for dinner in the Cruise Planner for our cruise later this year.  It used to charge a cover but that changed maybe a year ago.

20 hours ago, DDemuth said:

Was complimentary for dinner on our cruise last November and is still listed as no charge for dinner in the Cruise Planner for our cruise later this year.  It used to charge a cover but that changed maybe a year ago.

Interesting, our recent March 18 sailing on Oasis was charging a $9.95 cover for Solarium Bistro each night so maybe another case of RCL testing the waters??? We never bothered eating there so no idea if it was worth it. Breakfast and lunch buffets were the standard fare.

6 hours ago, FLGooner said:

Interesting, our recent March 18 sailing on Oasis was charging a $9.95 cover for Solarium Bistro each night so maybe another case of RCL testing the waters??? We never bothered eating there so no idea if it was worth it. Breakfast and lunch buffets were the standard fare.

Hmmm.  Wonder if it's no charge when pre-purchased, but a $9.95 charge once on board?  That would be in line with their charging an additional 18% gratuity for onboard reservations at specialty restaurants, but including gratuity for pre-purchase.

Without a cover charge, it's an interesting option over the MDR; quiet and more private than MDR, but IMO the doesn't rise to the level of the other specialty venues such as Chops or 150C.  That said, the wait staff were very attentive, so overall for us it was an enjoyable meal.

On 4/10/2018 at 8:49 AM, pdurney said:

Is there a charge for dinner service in the Solarium Bistro on Oasis?

We’re sailing Harmony in May and the Solarium Bistro was available for a dinner booking on cruise planner. Just pick the date and time. It went through cart checkout as no charge. The menu did read as mentioned previously that lobster and filet would have a charge. We’ll see what happens when we show up for dinner.

Cruise Compass for Oasis shows:

Specialty Restaurants: ($) Solarium Bistro - Mediterranean Concept

Maybe other ships are free, but I've sailed Oasis twice this year and there has been a charge for Solarium for dinner both times. Having said that, the MDR is now so poor that it may well be worth the up-charge.