Hiking in St. Kitts

ADK

I’ve decided to heed the warnings about the volcano hike and not book it. But the other hiking excursion offered in the Cruise Planner is not as strenuous as we’d like. I’ve seen some excursions on TripAdvisor but it seems the service/reliability can be hit & miss when booking outside the cruise line. Wondering if any experienced RC cruisers have any suggestions.

VERY smart -  I did that volcano hike - thought my heart was gonna explode out of my chest. I had to quit halfway through and just walk at my own pace.  They lied about hiking. Hiking  and running are two different things. At least the description is more accurate now. It's for genuine athletes...or people who can run vertically.

I'm glad you brought this one up ADK, we haven't talked about it in a while.

No matter what you might think, RCL wants their excursions watered down. They want all their excursions so that anyone can participate and make tour operators refrain from offering advanced, or faster pace, or more difficult excursions aimed for those who can ride a bike for more than a few miles, maybe are a runner, or otherwise are in reasonably good shape.

Except for the St Kitts Volcano Hike! And for what reason this one is allowed to be so advanced we'll never know. A test of fortitude, stamina, and guts. Less than half who start will finish.

My wife Susie trained on a Stair Master at her gym for 6 months in preparation and she completed it in 2014. Here are some pics (spoiler alert: the video is from the top of the climb....and the view is probably a lot less than you think you have should have earned.) Below is the Golden Ticket, the path and terrain in general what you climb, her shoe back onboard, and finally short video at the summit.

DSCN1488.thumb.jpg.447fc1958ade8c84097bcfda98784ace.jpgDSCN1523.thumb.jpg.77f0ae41e25af94e676ce2d07a0c91ab.jpgDSCN1567.thumb.jpg.d54d1694ba56f581c3d2bb4c34ea3573.jpgDSCN1543.m4v

DSCN1543.m4v 

I'm so happy to hear your wife trained for it...it validates my experience. I remember feeling awful about myself - I'm never a quitter and I could not finish. I run slow, but several times a week and I had such a hard time. One really good thing came out of it...my friend decided early on she was going to enjoy it, she was so slow a guide had to stay with her. She took her time and looked at everything, took pictures, very leisurely. By the time I met up with her I was full blown soaked in my own sweat and she was fine....and happy. I actually enjoyed the rest of the walk because I finally took on her attitude.

Guest toodle68

I so wanted to do this excursion.. I thought, how hard can a RC excursion be?  then I found pictures of people almost crawling up slopes of mud and my wife said 'hell no'..