Is lobster night still a thing?

georgeh

so i recently went on carnival valor for a 5 day cruise, and was surprised to find out they only do lobster night on 6 day or more cruises.  

what is the policy on rcl?   i read that formal night will be night 2, but that is our anniversary, and we already have reservations at chops.   

thanks!

• 1 year later...

We recently returned from our first cruise (June 9, 7-night  sailing on Oasis of the Seas, from Barcelona) and we did NOT have a lobster night. Color us extremely disappointed, after all the good things we'd read here about 'Lobster Night.' Our room attendant was told it was because it was a mediterranean cruise, but even she didn't seem to believe that. I'm not sure what happened.

19 minutes ago, inkydinkydoo said:

We recently returned from our first cruise (June 9, 7-night  sailing on Oasis of the Seas, from Barcelona) and we did NOT have a lobster night. Color us extremely disappointed, after all the good things we'd read here about 'Lobster Night.' Our room attendant was told it was because it was a mediterranean cruise, but even she didn't seem to believe that. I'm not sure what happened.

Lobster is not served on European sailings.  I'm not sure why, maybe it's an import thing since it's Caribbean lobster tails that are complimentary on North American sailings of 5 nights or longer.   

Maritime lobster found in New England and the Canadian Maritimes is always a paid dinner entree, even in North America.  

On 7 Night cruises out of Florida, we always had lobster on 2nd formal, including last month on the Harmony.  Some folks asked for two lobster tails (when ordering), and on some cruises we were asked if we wanted a second one (part of getting a good rating on the survey!?).    The point about the Med by @inkydinkydoo   is a good one -- I don't remember if we had lobster but I do remember that menu choices were related to our ports of call.

On 4/4/2018 at 4:42 PM, georgeh said:

so i recently went on carnival valor for a 5 day cruise, and was surprised to find out they only do lobster night on 6 day or more cruises.  

what is the policy on rcl?   i read that formal night will be night 2, but that is our anniversary, and we already have reservations at chops.   

thanks!

Does any one know if it is usually available up in the Windjammer on the second formal night ?  We don't do the whole dress up thing , and respect the people that do.  Last year on Allure, we couldn't find any up there.  Years ago they did.   Just wondering if the only way to get some is to play dress up?

7 hours ago, twangster said:

Lobster is not served on European sailings.  I'm not sure why, maybe it's an import thing since it's Caribbean lobster tails that are complimentary on North American sailings of 5 nights or longer.   

Maritime lobster found in New England and the Canadian Maritimes is always a paid dinner entree, even in North America.  

Bummer...I didn't even think about this!  Still trying to figure out if the second formal night will be night 6 or 10 of 12 (both sea days... Assuming first one is night 2).  Someone is on vision right now with same itinerary so I assume I will be able to find out !  Jane

10 hours ago, twangster said:

Twangster knows MUCH more than me but we did have lobster on a cruise out of Southhampton.    I’ve been on 3 cruises and only one RC cruise (although we liked it enough that we have two more booked).  We sailed Navigator in September 2018 on a 7 night cruise.  We had lobster on the first formal night.   I remember specifically because I had to change our 2d BOGO reservation to take advantage of it.  

We’re going on Symphony in August & our anniversary is also the 2nd night!

We did get a suite, not sure if it’s on the 2nd night at Costal Kithen. So I looked at the menus at Chops & Hooked, since we had a coupon. Hooked has the lobster ? with crap meat stuffing & cheese. Chops has a whole Maine lobster, still gotta pay extra! But they also have surf & turf with lobster tail , got reservations there like you for our anniversary at Chops & gonna see if I can just get 2 lobster tails, if not the 1& 1/2 lb Maine lobster! 

Congratulations ❣️& hope it works out for ya, sine it’s on the Chops menu, we’re gonna stick with that - for now! ?

10 hours ago, KimS said:

We did get a suite, not sure if it’s on the 2nd night at Costal Kithen. 

Suggestion:  If you ask for "the lobster" in the Coastal Kitchen on lobster/formal night, be sure you make it clear that you want the lobster tail being served in the MDR.  We once asked for "the lobster" on lobster/formal night and they brought us some nasty, rubbery lobster bits in a yucky orange sauce.  NOT what I had in mind.  So there is apparently a "lobster dish" that they make in the CK; they might misinterpret what you are asking for and bring that, instead of the lobster tail.

We just got off NAV and had the whole Maine lobster in Hooked a couple of times. It is not large, but it is far and away better than the lobster tail that they serve either in the MDR or in Hooked as an accompaniment to other dishes.  Currently, they are not charging anything extra for the whole Maine lobster in Hooked.  I cannot see that continuing. You can get surf and turf in Hooked for nothing extra, but the surf and turf in Chops is +$21 ?  Makes no sense. I look for Hooked to start charging an up charge for either their whole Maine lobster or their filet.  Get it while you can.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Suggestion:  If you ask for "the lobster" in the Coastal Kitchen on lobster/formal night, be sure you make it clear that you want the lobster tail being served in the MDR.  We once asked for "the lobster" on lobster/formal night and they brought us some nasty, rubbery lobster bits in a yucky orange sauce.  NOT what I had in mind.  So there is apparently a "lobster dish" that they make in the CK; they might misinterpret what you are asking for and bring that, instead of the lobster tail.

Concur.  I fell victim to this once.  Just once.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had lobster night sailing out of Southampton (two week cruise but served twice).  And also lobster both times sailing (one week) out of Galveston.  In all three cases they were pre-frozen, small rock lobsters and kinda rubbery, not that great.  The leftover lobster is served the next day cold in the Windjammer.  IMO it was much better then.

30 minutes ago, castle25 said:

Just of Indy - 14 night Canaries and the lobster was served on Day 12 in MDR.  No idea what it was like as i hate seafood, not many around us were having it either....

How was the cruise to the Canaries. We are looking into that cruise.

On 7/6/2019 at 11:46 AM, JohnK6404 said:

Yes, you can have as many as your heart desires (2nd formal evening on 7-night cruise in Caribbean)... they kept asking us on Allure back in May if we'd like more... we stopped at 4 tails, but my friend was on Harmony in April and he said someone at the next table was on their 12th?

567237BF-CFE0-471D-AEE1-D53B18FA88AB.thumb.jpeg.dfef58dccb6f35a68a01579d5fc797ee.jpeg

Love the pic AND the Advise!! We do get the Coastal Kitchen, so will make sure we can get those tails! Thanks Again!

On 7/6/2019 at 10:46 AM, JohnK6404 said:

Yes, you can have as many as your heart desires (2nd formal evening on 7-night cruise in Caribbean)... they kept asking us on Allure back in May if we'd like more... we stopped at 4 tails, but my friend was on Harmony in April and he said someone at the next table was on their 12th?

567237BF-CFE0-471D-AEE1-D53B18FA88AB.thumb.jpeg.dfef58dccb6f35a68a01579d5fc797ee.jpeg

12 is a lot, but not unimaginable. They aren't the biggest lobster tails in the world. Some that I've seen are more like large prawns. But they are included, so what the heck!

3 hours ago, FManke said:

12 is a lot, but not unimaginable. They aren't the biggest lobster tails in the world. Some that I've seen are more like large prawns. But they are included, so what the heck!

Hey..go big or go home... Well, wait for the boat to dock!  I love lobster but I can eat it at a good restaurant at home.  It is ok on the ships, but I've never gotten it where it's so good I'd want 12.  Jane