RC cabin upgrades

I am a member of a few FB pages for different ships. In the past few weeks I have seen a lot of people commenting how they received an email/call about cabin upgrades for X amount. How do these get offered? I am a C&A member, only Gold level. Do you have to request to be put on an upgrade list when booking?

There is an option in your account settings to chose "automatic" upgrade or something like that.

I have booked over a dozen cruises with Royal and never received a call yet so I wouldn't get my hopes up. I watch for price drops and try to make my own upgrade but that doesn't usually work either.

Good luck and stay positive for the elusive Upgrade Fairy!

11 minutes ago, ladop21 said:

I am a member of a few FB pages for different ships. In the past few weeks I have seen a lot of people commenting how they received an email/call about cabin upgrades for X amount. How do these get offered? I am a C&A member, only Gold level. Do you have to request to be put on an upgrade list when booking?

Hi @ladop21.  Welcome to the boards!

A few weeks ago, people were reporting here and on other message boards that they were getting emails from RC asking if they wanted to be put on a list for upgrades (if they became available) for a fee.  That was news to many of us as it wasn't really done before that.  From what I know, you cannot request to be put on an upgrade list.  I have tried for every single one of my cruises and have received the same response back, "We do not have an upgrade list."  You can go into your C&A settings and check off your upgrade preferences.  That's about it.  But with the new website, I don't even know how to access that at the moment.  @F1guynz shared a post about a week ago basically saying that you just might have to call them to indicate your preferences.

25 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Hi @ladop21.  Welcome to the boards!

A few weeks ago, people were reporting here and on other message boards that they were getting emails from RC asking if they wanted to be put on a list for upgrades (if they became available) for a fee.  That was news to many of us as it wasn't really done before that.  From what I know, you cannot request to be put on an upgrade list.  I have tried for every single one of my cruises and have received the same response back, "We do not have an upgrade list."  You can go into your C&A settings and check off your upgrade preferences.  That's about it.  But with the new website, I don't even know how to access that at the moment.  @F1guynz shared a post about a week ago basically saying that you just might have to call them to indicate your preferences.

I saw something about your preferences, but like you said, when I went to the new site there was nothing about upgrades. I searched by couldn't find a way to get to the old site.

After looking into this some, it appears they are doing what some airlines are doing...give you the "chance" to upgrade for a price.  While the airlines usually ask you to "bid" on the upgraded seat, Royal is just setting the price for you to accept or not.

It's defn something new from Royal..and will most defn eliminate any complimentary upgrades that some were lucky enough to get in the past.

11 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

After looking into this some, it appears they are doing what some airlines are doing...give you the "chance" to upgrade for a price.  While the airlines usually ask you to "bid" on the upgraded seat, Royal is just setting the price for you to accept or not.

It's defn something new from Royal..and will most defn eliminate any complimentary upgrades that some were lucky enough to get in the past.

yes, we got that email about two weeks ago.  the stated upgrade to a balcony room from deck 2 of the vision of the seas would be 300 bucks (per person of course).  i don't know yet if they can accommodate, but i said "put me on the list".  i'll find out in 3 days.

5 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

A few weeks ago, people were reporting here and on other message boards that they were getting emails from RC asking if they wanted to be put on a list for upgrades (if they became available) for a fee.  That was news to many of us as it wasn't really done before that. 

I just got that email today. My real question is what are the odds they will really call and that I will be available to even take the call? The fine print says they will try calling only one time. We currently have the exact middle hump balcony cabin booked, which we love. But I would imagine upgrading to a Jr Suite for $300 is pretty much a no brainer--never stayed in a suite before and it would be a nice surprise for DW. I know, I know---....can never go back! Double points would be nice also. Only downsides could be the location and the fact that there is no Coastal Kitchen on Adventure of the Seas.

Based on today's pricing, the Jr Suite is $1048 more than the balcony, BUT the website says all OV, Balcony and Suites are sold out. Only Interior cabins are available. So I'm guessing between that and being way past final payment date, I'll never get the call anyway. Oh well, nice to dream.

Here is the email and fine print:

We’re excited to welcome you onboard soon! As your sailing approaches, there may be an opportunity to upgrade your stateroom for the below price. Secure your position on the waitlist and take advantage of this limited offer. If an upgrade becomes available, we will call you to process the upgrade.*

POTENTIAL UPGRADE:
Junior Suite
UPGRADE PRICE:
$ 300

TERMS & CONDITIONS
*Price is per stateroom, in USD, and subject to Royal Caribbean offering Potential Upgrade to guest. The above upgrade price is not an offer to upgrade at this time. By clicking the “Add Me To The List” button, guest agrees that Royal Caribbean may use guest’s phone number to call guest to offer a stateroom upgrade, subject to these offer terms. Upgrade offer only applicable to the guest, stateroom, and sailing identified above; upgrades are not transferable. Offers are made in Royal Caribbean’s sole discretion. Inclusion on the wait list does not guarantee that an upgrade will be offered to guest. Royal Caribbean will make one attempt to call guest using the phone number listed on guest’s booking. If guest fails to answer the call, Royal Caribbean will move on to the next eligible guest on the wait list and will not call again. Upgrade is subject to an additional per-stateroom charge. Payment is due in full at the time of guest’s acceptance and is non-refundable. Limit one upgrade per booking through any offer by Royal Caribbean. Conditions of guest’s original cruise reservation will remain in effect after upgrade.

33 minutes ago, Skid said:

I just got that email today. My real question is what are the odds they will really call and that I will be available to even take the call? 

There is a similar thread going on today over on the "other site" and I just skimmed through it but it doesn't look like many have received the call...

I hope you get it @Skid :10_wink:

1 hour ago, Skid said:

I just got that email today. My real question is what are the odds they will really call and that I will be available to even take the call? The fine print says they will try calling only one time. We currently have the exact middle hump balcony cabin booked, which we love. But I would imagine upgrading to a Jr Suite for $300 is pretty much a no brainer--never stayed in a suite before and it would be a nice surprise for DW. I know, I know---....can never go back! Double points would be nice also. Only downsides could be the location and the fact that there is no Coastal Kitchen on Adventure of the Seas.

Based on today's pricing, the Jr Suite is $1048 more than the balcony, BUT the website says all OV, Balcony and Suites are sold out. Only Interior cabins are available. So I'm guessing between that and being way past final payment date, I'll never get the call anyway. Oh well, nice to dream.

We’re excited to welcome you onboard soon! As your sailing approaches, there may be an opportunity to upgrade your stateroom for the below price. Secure your position on the waitlist and take advantage of this limited offer. If an upgrade becomes available, we will call you to process the upgrade.*

POTENTIAL UPGRADE:
Junior Suite
UPGRADE PRICE:
$ 300

TERMS & CONDITIONS
*Price is per stateroom, in USD, and subject to Royal Caribbean offering Potential Upgrade to guest. The above upgrade price is not an offer to upgrade at this time. By clicking the “Add Me To The List” button, guest agrees that Royal Caribbean may use guest’s phone number to call guest to offer a stateroom upgrade, subject to these offer terms. Upgrade offer only applicable to the guest, stateroom, and sailing identified above; upgrades are not transferable. Offers are made in Royal Caribbean’s sole discretion. Inclusion on the wait list does not guarantee that an upgrade will be offered to guest. Royal Caribbean will make one attempt to call guest using the phone number listed on guest’s booking. If guest fails to answer the call, Royal Caribbean will move on to the next eligible guest on the wait list and will not call again. Upgrade is subject to an additional per-stateroom charge. Payment is due in full at the time of guest’s acceptance and is non-refundable. Limit one upgrade per booking through any offer by Royal Caribbean. Conditions of guest’s original cruise reservation will remain in effect after upgrade.

I talked to someone at C&A today about adding the upgrades to my preferences since you can't do anything on the new site now. They did confirm if you get "upgraded" to the Jr. Suite you do not get the 2 points per day because you are not paying the "suite" rate, but getting an upgrade, even when paying a little for the upgrade. If the price was right we would upgrade, but we did book a Jr. Suite for a cruise next year because the price difference between the balcony and Jr. suite was so minimal that we decided 4 of us in the JS as opposed to 2 rooms.

10 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Ok, never mind then. I was just thinking if you had gone from balcony to suite if the double points applied.

Most people I see, and someone I work with is in the same boat (no pun intended), received an email going from an oceanview balcony to a jr. suite. If you book in a suite and get upgraded to a better suite, I would think you will still get double points as you booked at a "suite rate".  There is an article posted somewhere on RC blog back from 2016 saying that these emails would be coming out weekly. You have to say you want the upgrade, then get put on a list, like for airlines. I have seen people say they were offered to upgrade anywhere from $100 - $900. For the right price I would do it,  but not $900. 

51 minutes ago, ladop21 said:

Most people I see, and someone I work with is in the same boat (no pun intended), received an email going from an oceanview balcony to a jr. suite. If you book in a suite and get upgraded to a better suite, I would think you will still get double points as you booked at a "suite rate".  There is an article posted somewhere on RC blog back from 2016 saying that these emails would be coming out weekly. You have to say you want the upgrade, then get put on a list, like for airlines. I have seen people say they were offered to upgrade anywhere from $100 - $900. For the right price I would do it,  but not $900. 

Yes, going from suite to suite you still get double points.  It's going from balcony-suite that was up for debate.  Which I don't know the answer to either because that has never happened to me.

15 hours ago, Skid said:

POTENTIAL UPGRADE:
Junior Suite
UPGRADE PRICE:
$ 300

TERMS & CONDITIONS

Interesting - DH got the email (but not me ), but our potential upgrade price is $350-- maybe different price for different sailing? We wouldn't mind the upgrade, but we currently have connecting OV balcony cabins, which we need (connecting), because 2 DD's are in the other & although both are adults, one is severely handicapped, so at least one of the 3 of us needs to be with her if she's in the cabin, & if it's because she's sleeping, we're going to want to be in the connecting cabin so don't have to worry about keeping quiet or having the lights on.