6th April Radiance Cruise Cancelled Due to Azipod Issue

From the RCI Facebook page:

We regrettably announce that it will be necessary to cancel the upcoming 11-night cruise on Radiance of the Seas departing 6 April 2018. This is to conduct necessary repairs on the ship's Azipod propulsion system, which impacts the ships’ speed and ability to deliver future scheduled cruises. 

The ship’s guest services are currently fully operational, and there is no impact on the maneuverability of the ship or on the safety of our guests and crew as it returns to Sydney from its current Queensland coastal cruise. 

After exploring numerous repair options and to ensure readiness for future cruises, repairs will take place from 6 April to 17 April. 

We are currently in the process of informing all impacted guests and their travel agents. All guests will be provided with a full refund as well as a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

We sincerely regret that we will be unable to deliver the Royal Caribbean cruise holiday that our guests were looking forward to. Our guest’s holiday time is very precious and we can assure you that we did not make this decision lightly.

Guests should contact their local travel agent, or please feel free to call us on 1800 754 500.

49 minutes ago, KWofPerth said:

As much of a downer as this cancellation would be, the compo is essentially a free cruise. I'd actually be very very happy about that.

I agree when looking from the outside financially it is very fair compensation when you are emotionally invested in a cruise it must be extremely hard to deal with. We book a long time in advance so getting down to the last 3 days and then being advised it is cancelled would be difficult. At least for those living in Australia and New Zealand the flights aren’t so bad. I really feel for the people from the other side of the world who may have already departed for Australia.

Very expensive for RCI as well paying 100% compensation for a whole ship. Well done to them for being that fair.

I think that's the best compensation offer I have ever seen RCI hand out. From a non-emotional observer's perspective I think (as stated above) that getting your money back plus basically a free cruise is a pretty great deal .. from the emotional "on the trip of a lifetime" type scenario, I am sure there are a lot of really unhappy people out there though.

1 hour ago, jticarruthers said:

I think that's the best compensation offer I have ever seen RCI hand out. From a non-emotional observer's perspective I think (as stated above) that getting your money back plus basically a free cruise is a pretty great deal .. from the emotional "on the trip of a lifetime" type scenario, I am sure there are a lot of really unhappy people out there though.

Agreed.  For some a long way to travel for the disappointment, especially if they had booked any kind of post cruise excursions from another provider.  

12 hours ago, KWofPerth said:

" All guests will be provided with a full refund as well as a 100% Future Cruise Credit. "

As much of a downer as this cancellation would be, the compo is essentially a free cruise. I'd actually be very very happy about that.

I'm not on this cruise but feel bad for those who were and now have to change their plans so close the sail date.  I was thinking...what if they had to fly there?  Change fees on airlines aren't cheap.  Bummer!!!!!

3 days before the cruise it was announced? For some of us who travel from another country to make a cruise happen or as part of a bigger vacation, many maybe already on their way there or already there. So what a  huge headache/nightmare/financial burden to put on them.

I know that some ppl were on a B2B2B....so now they have an 11 day hotel stay to pay for.....I cant imagine....

While some things cant be helped or planned for in life....this is crazy. IF, 3 days before an 11 day cruise they canceled it. And not because they couldn't have cruised, but because they wanted to do repairs so that it wouldn't affect future cruises. Why not cancel the next cruise out which would have been a 14 day window instead??!

7 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Why not cancel the next cruise out which would have been a 14 day window instead??!

I think because the next one is the Trans Pacific heading to Hawaii and then on to Vancouver. I think cancelling this one would have had a much greater knock on affect. I think more people would have flown in for TP and as TP is split into two cruises more people would be inconvenienced.

Also with an Azipod issue maybe the ship can’t travel as quickly. Newcastle may have been the only port with facilities to fix the issue before heading off to Vancouver and Alaska.

• 4 weeks later...