Requests for ratings

I have been on six cruises, three of which I really enjoyed and three on Carnival.

Both carnival and Royal send post cruise surveys with a question reading something like “Did anyone ask you to give them a good rating and if so who?”  

I never answer the question honestly because it is usually those crew members I truest loved who ask for the good rating. My question to anyone who may know, if you inform that you were asked, does royal count that negatively?

i don’t want to get my favorite staff in trouble, I want to get them good rewards. 

Thanks

On 3/31/2018 at 12:02 PM, Sunken dreams said:

My question to anyone who may know, if you inform that you were asked, does royal count that negatively?

Not sure what the consequences are, but the crew are not supposed to ask for favorable ratings.  Asking guests to fill out the survey is fine, but guilt trips about anything less than a 5 rating is frowned upon.

• 3 weeks later...

We were also asked by our wait staff to give them 10's on our FotS cruise that we just completed, and that was over the course of the last couple of nights, not just on the final night. I also didn't say in my survey that anyone asked for a favorable rating, and I was fine giving them the 10's as they were both really attentive and did a bang-up job. But I agree that it didn't feel quite right (on either side).

If I feel like they are starting the “survey talk” I usually cut them off and say I understand only 10’s count and let them know we will take care of them. That way I can honestly say no one asked for high ratings.  I’m sure it’s uncomfortable for them to have to even have those conversations. 

I feel like surveys that are all or nothing should be just that. A simple yes or no. I feel like a scale survey where only perfection counts is ridiculous ?

Someone would have to be really bad for us not to give a favorable survey. Things happen, orders get messed up, trays drop, things can get spilled, as long as no one is rude, we give 10’s. If they are excellent we make sure their bosses know and we note it on the survey. 

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:22 PM, Bobbieajd said:

I feel like surveys that are all or nothing should be just that. A simple yes or no. I feel like a scale survey where only perfection counts is ridiculous ?

Agree with this sentiment. If "10" is passing and "9" is failing, there really is no scale.

When there is a scale (numeric or just ranging from "highly satisfied" to "highly unsatisfied"), I almost never give the highest possible rating. The TOP score is for something special, something well above my expectations. Service in a restaurant that would receive a 25% tip from me still only gets about an 8 on a 10 point scale. RCCL's survey rating policy is a way to guarantee that they don't renew many contracts (thus being able to hire new people at the starting pay rather than giving raises to those retained).

I am on the Anthem right now. It has been announced that a survey would be coming and please give a high score. The dining room manager stopped by our table last night and asked if we were happy and if we would give 10s. He also asked for each of us to fill out the survey. I will say, we are thrilled with the food and service in the main dining room so no one had to ask us.