Serenade 3/30/18 10 night Eastern Caribbean

twangster

IT'S CRUISE DAY!!!

Disclaimer - @SaltyNavyCruiser15 started a live blog a few weeks ago but out of respect I'm trying to avoid taking over his post and starting this.  I'm hoping they continue to blog as it will be an interesting comparison having different users providing perspective of the same sailing.  Their blog is here:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5849-30-mar-09-apr-southern-caribbean-cruise-on-serenade/

This week has been a busy week for me.  Between business trips and my flight to reach Serenade there were four flights to her the day before sailing (an unexpected business trip had me flying over 6,000 miles this week).  From my 3am ET start to the day to landing in Fort Lauderdale at 1:44am ET on the day of the cruise I would have been up for 24 hours by the time I reached my hotel if it were not for sleeping on the MD88, 767, 757 and 737 it took to arrive here.  Someone today asked me what class of ship Serenade is and I drew a blank,  I couldn't even remember half the classes.  Yeah I'm tired.  A cruise starting with two sea days is perfect right now.

Itinerary

Sea Day,  Sea Day,  St Thomas,  St Croix, Martinique,  St Kitts,  St Maarten, Sea Day, Sea Day

Excursions

(booked during a recent sail event:)

STQ3ifG.jpg

Skipping St. Croix excursion due to work requirements.  I'm familiar with St. Croix from having done some work there so once conference calls are over I'll wander around a bit on my own.  Fun fact - St Croix is home to the Eastern most point of the United States (excluding the main land).   

VyU6gsf.jpg

L8GcceV.jpg

3seSQnZ.jpg

Fort Lauderdale - Port Everglades 

I called my hotel twice throughout the day to make sure they wouldn't give away my room as a no-show given my 2am arrival.  It was nearly 3am when I crashed into the hotel bed.  I woke at 8am to re-arrange my luggage and inventory what I missed since packing for the cruise a week ago.  I did pretty good and double packed some items. 

Lyft was $12 and I arrived at terminal 19 at 10:10am. Apparently they were doing work on some terminals so we couldn't use terminal 18 or 29.   I haven't used terminal 19 since a cruise on another line in 2013.  It hasn't changed much (still small).  The terminal contractors seemed to like it as much as I did. 

Suites/Pinnacle boarded at 10:30, Diamond Plus at 10:40-ish and a few minutes later they called Diamond - the escalator can only take so many at a time so they regulate flow.  Not bad - just over 30 minutes from my early terminal arrival to boarding.  Pretty painless.  BTW - terminal 19 also has free wifi.

Lunch in the WJ.  Honey Stung Chicken and Curry and a few other things and before I knew I it my plate looked like food coma.  I need a nap.  Cabins opened right at 1pm as offered.  Cabin and dinner pictures tomorrow once I've slept.     

Cabin Tour!

Deck 7 Standard Balcony 7028

uhMFLRK.jpg

ET4wAR1.jpg

rziqFT9.jpg

D79tTQs.jpg

85W5cZV.jpg

3HlgFSF.jpg

ZdY2YC0.jpg

On the Radiance class the deck 7 balconies are extended with the extension open to the sides and above.  I don't plan to be on my balcony in my underwear so this isn't an issue for me but if you are seeking a more private balcony experience you may want to accept a smaller balcony on a higher deck.

g9a8QVu.jpg

F77FPGG.jpg

etNwvaq.jpg

15 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Since you said you left the Osmo 2 behind, what are you using to stabilize your phone for the hyperlapses? Or is that just a feature of the hyperlapse app, and you’re holding the phone in your hand?

Smooth Q gimbal.  I'm thinking of trying the SMOVE Mobile.  It has a built in extension.

The Osmo Mobile 2 was very particular to balance and in some orientations it would freak out and shake the phone excessively.  The Smooth Q works well with an iPhone 8 but struggles with my 7 Plus.  Adding a WA lens would be way over the top for it.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@twangster What's with the "No Reservation" post it notes?  I've never seen that before.

It's chair hog mitigation.  Trying to out fox the chair hogs by getting one step ahead of them.  I guess instead of dealing with it once people have put down their stuff, the pool attendants went to work very early to place notes informing people you can not reserve loungers.  "No Reservation" maybe be better phrased "No Reserving" but I'll take it.  

I won!  Woohoo!  At the CC Meet & Mingle they had a raffle for "stuff you'd never buy" and I won an RC backpack.  Our ship representative warned us several times they tend to fall apart but knew exactly how they could be fixed by sewing them up with dental floss.  Things you make you go "hmmm".  I should have brought my dental floss needle, but heck it's free and I won it (I never win anything).

PlQJANb.jpg

Enjoying my balcony today... how else?

UF1vdmL.jpg

I thought I'd test out wifi calling given that this is a non-O3b ship.  I called my agent to save $400 on a December cruise.  Not bad, the call broke up a few times but in the end I saved $400 so I'll take it!

As I sat there I spotted a celebrity approaching.

l4q0eaR.jpg

bPC6xUa.jpg

Using my bot-like vision I discovered it's the Celebrity Silhouette.

CnAQOcs.jpg

Soon after some birds came along.  At first I wasn't sure what they were doing out here but then it became obvious. 

W2VRX02.jpg

gtEYwud.jpg

xnZ7O5Y.jpg

Success!  Flying fish being taught a lesson by a flying bird - better to stay in the water.

78qiZ6f.jpg

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

I won!  Woohoo!  At the CC Meet & Mingle they had a raffle for "stuff you'd never buy" and I won an RC backpack.  Our ship representative warned us several times they tend to fall apart but knew exactly how they could be fixed by sewing them up with dental floss.  Things you make you go "hmmm".  I should have brought my dental floss needle, but heck it's free and I won it (I never win anything).

5abfbdc312566_SerenadeDay1mid-10.jpg.15df755df32d70307cacd5063c18f869.jpg

A major award !!  YIPPEE !!!

Playing around with a timelapse video from my balcony.  The wind blowing the tripod around makes it look like I'm on a train more than a ship but I'm traveling light and left my heavy duty 8 lb. tripod at home so my cheap but light tripod can't hold still in this wind.  The ship isn't moving very much, just an occasional gentle and slow pitch.  I don't feel it but looking aft I can see a slight up-down slow pitch.  Great day so far.

Lunch is calling, gotta run. 

46 minutes ago, twangster said:

It's chair hog mitigation.  Trying to out fox the chair hogs by getting one step ahead of them.  I guess instead of dealing with it once people have put down their stuff, the pool attendants went to work very early to place notes informing people you can not reserve loungers.  "No Reservation" maybe be better phrased "No Reserving" but I'll take it.  

Ah, that's what I suspected was going on but the "no reservation" wording threw me off.

46 minutes ago, twangster said:

5abfbdc312566_SerenadeDay1mid-10.jpg.15df755df32d70307cacd5063c18f869.jpg

Enjoying my balcony today... how else?

5abfbe29cc8cc_SerenadeDay1mid-1.jpg.732f1d7bfd97877d69f8d7cc46b57394.jpg

I thought I'd test out wifi calling given that this is a non-O3b ship.  I called my agent to save $400 on a December cruise.  Not bad, the call broke up a few times but in the end I saved $400 so I'll take it!

As I sat there I spotted a celebrity approaching.

5abfbec643c1b_SerenadeDay1mid-3.jpg.23b6abbc9cdc8779b53a5c5c6520a261.jpg

Using my bot-like vision I discovered it's the Celebrity Silhouette.

5abfbf11ae5ed_SerenadeDay1mid-4.jpg.b1d61dd0400fe4385baed01f61af895f.jpg

Soon after some birds came along.  At first I wasn't sure what they were doing out here but then it became obvious. 

5abfbf8fa66ba_SerenadeDay1mid-5.jpg.f26573735dde44b750cb38f426872963.jpg

5abfbfa1181e5_SerenadeDay1mid-6.jpg.435ffe046defb39090b70a40fb66422c.jpg

5abfbfb08b183_SerenadeDay1mid-8.jpg.af59d9020880de4327287afb8aa2d218.jpg

Success!  Flying fish being taught a lesson by a flying bird - better to stay in the water.

5abfbfc2aada4_SerenadeDay1mid-9.jpg.ea45afa6bbc579c4ec7e2cea76ef2b46.jpg

What ship are you own?

Day 2 Dinner - Formal Night

My Time MDR, same table, same great service.

TTDRexz.jpg

My two appetizer pattern continued but tonight at my choosing.  Shrimp Cocktail & Wedge Salad.  Rack of Mary's Little Lamb for my main. 

OaI7bCP.jpg

I passed by the specialty coffee bar 'Latte-tudes' on my way back top my cabin after dinner, here is the menu:

5Iuxq5Z.jpg

A quick change out of my formal wear and into shorts while I checked our position.  Here is our progress:

4J30PHW.jpg

Next stop, the pub.  Here is the beer menu:

qNZ4skL.jpg

I was thinking there might be some pub music but having been totally buried with work this week I forgot it's Final Four weekend.  It's packed in the pub!  Apparently there are more Michigan fans on board. 

JzhZ2PV.jpg

My excursion in St Thomas has changed from morning to afternoon.  I'm hoping my former co-workers in St Thomas can adjust to accommodate and meet me in the morning. 

Beautiful pictures, as usual, pal.  

That Solarium is beautiful, too - it looks bigger than the Freedom's.  

Good to sea life vests in your room, as opposed to Oasis, where you'll get them at your muster station (honestly?).

9 hours ago, Floski said:

Beautiful pictures, as usual, pal.  

That Solarium is beautiful, too - it looks bigger than the Freedom's.  

Good to sea life vests in your room, as opposed to Oasis, where you'll get them at your muster station (honestly?).

If you think about it, you hear the horns and you go straight to your muster station.  If everyone went back to their rooms to get their life vests it would cause so much more crowding in the halls and stairwells, plus delay getting off the ship.  Isn't it better just to keep them there?  They already have a full set at the life boat stations anyway, so I'd rather have the extra space for my stuff!  Not that I bring too much, mind you...

Windjammer Breakfast

Located deck 11 aft

YOnd6C8.jpg

6tlLR9K.jpg

DjCREya.jpg

Two egg stations, one for fried eggs and one for omelettes.  That's Kristen, my assistant wait staff during dinner in the MDR.

gkCJzDw.jpg

The egg stations use a ticket system unlike from what I''ve seen on other ships.  You place your order and are handed a ticket with a two digit number.  You are free to wander around and gather other food then come back when your number is up and collect your order.  It works quite well.

cOABHnG.jpg

Mmmm, bacon.

dqvzsFP.jpg

Several flavors of pancakes kept warm under cover.

IkBFMXt.jpg

3ZS2e8B.jpg

Lots of fresh fruit.

zC4k9cC.jpg

yHzIlvy.jpg

Smoked Mackerel and Smoked Salmon.

iTpPEBP.jpg

VNi9C2j.jpg

6TIYTlD.jpg

8ymNsST.jpg

O268xch.jpg

aeysttD.jpg

8CvyaX7.jpg

3Y4iGub.jpg

L8pFGL9.jpg

ZGM33Ih.jpg

3oNlhbZ.jpg

ohL2MaU.jpg

00jrfyX.jpg

8Yv0sf5.jpg

Y2gSgYt.jpg

Al Fresco Seating with aft views

MTV6Gfy.jpg

If you've ever eaten in a Windjammer on any ship, you'll quickly feel at home on Serenade with the added bonus of outdoor seating.

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Day 2 - Sea Day

Pretty close to a full moon last night.

5ac0bc882dcaa_SerenadeDay1night-2.jpg.d9a969f9a14b8401b275191774ccc3e0.jpg

Woke this morning to a beautiful sunrise

5ac0d79f0c541_SerenadeDay2sunrise-1.jpg.571e1dfb97cd75e086ab93f086993a8a.jpg

5ac0d7a79ccc3_SerenadeDay2sunrise-2.jpg.182325e2de87cceb6bdc593d74c0f999.jpg

With that it's off to the WJ for breakfast.  Warning - excessive food pictures coming in next post.

Absolutely stunning, @twangster! Especially the time lapse.

You’re really pushing me to up my photography game. ?

23 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Absolutely stunning, @twangster! Especially the time lapse.

You’re really pushing me to up my photography game. ?

Likewise, I look forward to seeing what you come up with!  Game on!

I'm regretting not bring a more stable tripod. 

I'm hoping to find a not so windy place on an upper deck to try a motion time lapse with a sunset.

Take it easy on your step count, pace yourself... you've got some port days coming and there is nothing worse than being exhausted and physically drained 1/2 way through a cruise.