What is your favorite excursion you ever took?

Matt

My favorite trip used to be a catamaran trip to St John and St Thomas on our very first cruise in 1993 (Dolphin Cruise Lines).

But aboard the Mariner of the Seas (2009), we took a sailing trip in Puerto Vallarta, that included lunch, snorkeling and dolphin watching...it was wonderful. Lunch was fresh made guacamole and a delicious selection of sandwiches and other goodies, snorkeling was right off the sailboat and beautiful sights, and the dolphin were active and giving us an amazing show, then we laid down on our towels on the deck and took naps...relaxing and fun!

For those that took Tulum excursion, I have heard in warmer months of the year, that excursion can be brutal with heat, jungle and the bus ride. True?

The time of year we went to Tulum was October and although it was hot I wouldn't say it was brutal and as Don said the buses were modern and air conditioned and our guide also had cold beers waiting on board for us.

Although it was a few years back I don't remember the jungle but I do remember feeling very humbled by how little the local people have and how bad some of their living conditions are it really makes you realise how lucky you are.

I have fond memories of our visit there. The local people we met were lovely and the views from the cliff where one of the ancient sacrificial structures rises up is stunning as you look out across the ocean. It really was a fantastic tour and we would definitely do it again if we go back.

The time of year we went to Tulum was October and although it was hot I wouldn't say it was brutal and as Don said the buses were modern and air conditioned and our guide also had cold beers waiting on board for us.

I have fond memories of our visit there. The local people we met were lovely and the views from the cliff where one of the ancient sacrificial structures rises up is stunning as you look out across the ocean. It really was a fantastic tour and we would definitely do it again if we go back.

I've been a fan of Mexican dark beer ever since. Agree with you about the views-- Most incredible Caribbean blue water you'll ever see.

• 2 weeks later...

St Thomas, the 99 Steps Tour. We were picked up at the ship in an open air truck, did a 3 stop overlook tour of the island. Then we were taken to Magens Bay for 2 hours. After that, we were taken to Blackbeard's Castle where you walk (at your own pace with stops) down the 99 Steps into Charlotte Amalie. I remember our driver's name was Gwen and she did an outstanding job!!!

I've been reading alot about RCL's CocoCay island getting awarded the Sustainable Tourism Education Program (STEP) Gold-Level Eco Certification (that's a mouthful!), and have been seeing that they had to get a "third-party" to assess them that was independent of RCL and the Sustainable Travel International. 

Does anyone know who the third party was? Everything I've found is very vague on this. I would love to visit CocoCay now, as sustainable tourism is an interest of mine.

Thanks!

It loo

I've been reading alot about RCL's CocoCay island getting awarded the Sustainable Tourism Education Program (STEP) Gold-Level Eco Certification (that's a mouthful!), and have been seeing that they had to get a "third-party" to assess them that was independent of RCL and the Sustainable Travel International. 

Does anyone know who the third party was? Everything I've found is very vague on this. I would love to visit CocoCay now, as sustainable tourism is an interest of mine.

Thanks!

It looks like the certification comes from Sustainable Travel International: http://sustainabletravel.org/program/step-eco-certification-standard/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

While in Gran Canaria we opted for the Southwestern and Yellow Submarine Tour which took us to the other side of the island to a place known as LIttle Venice which is called Puerto De Mogan. It is absolutely gorgeous with a small Harbour and Marina, quaint shops and Mountains behind and a few little bridges which look like the ones in Venice.

My wife and I cruised to Mazatlan in 2009 for our Honeymoon and rented a 4 wheeler at a small spot near the port. We were told we could take the atv anywhere we wanted including on the road so we drove around the downtown area on an Atv on a super busy road. There were times when there were cars on both sides of us so close my wife had to pull her arms closer to her so not to touch the cars.  They would cram 3 or 4 cars in a row onto a road that would be the same size as a two lane road in the states. It was pretty crazy. From what I could tell there were no road rules at all. It was just try not to hit anyone.  We eventually got on some side roads and found a an off road trail that led up to a lighthouse that you could see the whole city from. It was pretty awesome experience and cost about 25.00 to rent the Atv.  

My favorite excursion was America's Cup Regatta in St Maarten. We booked through Royal though I think it can be booked locally as well. They gave you a job on the boat, taught you how and then raced a second boat through a course. I got to be a rear wench man. It was a great time.

Second favorites have to beach day at Orient Beach or Cozumel. Orient beach reminds me of Super Paradise Beach on Mykonos from our honeymoon cruise.

My favorite excursion was America's Cup Regatta in St Maarten. We booked through Royal though I think it can be booked locally as well. They gave you a job on the boat, taught you how and then raced a second boat through a course. I got to be a rear wench man. It was a great time.

Second favorites have to beach day at Orient Beach or Cozumel. Orient beach reminds me of Super Paradise Beach on Mykonos from our honeymoon cruise.

That sounds pretty awesome.

Yeah it was! There was one point where the boat was up on the side and I thought if my foot slipped, I would have just rolled out the back of the boat. And they weren't even using the full sail

I'd be worried I was holding back the team  :lol:

• 1 month later...

Our favorite excursion,  was in Cozumel Mexico. We love Cozumel and always go snorkeling, because its the best place we have ever went snorkeling. We usually book with a reliable tour operator who is well known on the island. They are a nice family owned business that have been doing small and private tours forever! (CozumelCruiseExcursions.NET) The owner John was always trying to get us to explore Cozumel, and do their Custom Private jeep tour, but we wanted to keep it safe and do what we knew was fun. This pas cruise we read some of their review for their jeep tour, and finally booked it. WOW we we missing out! John was not kidding when he said Cozumel had so much more to offer than just the reefs. Cozumel is truly a hidden gem. But we had an amazing private tour guide who was Johns sons brother in law, who I can't remember his name at the moment. It was amazing the amount of knowledge he had about Cozumel. We arent really into the the Mayan ruins, and since it was a custom private tour we were able to do exactly what we wanted. But one of the places we wanted to visit was Punta Sur Park which was absolutely amazing! When our private guide was driving us through the natural reserve, there was a cool looking Mayan ruin. Were not to into the whole mayan ruin thing, but boy was there an interesting story behind it! We just wish we had enough time to go see the Mayan ruin section of the island, put we planned our day for just beach, snorkeling, tequila tour, other side of Cozumel and some shopping downtown. 

I highly recommend taking a drive along the other side of Cozumel "The Wild Side", because its just as amazing as the reviews say. The great part was that there is no development, just natural beaches, rock formations and some cool caves, blowholes and some other cool sights check out. Our guide took us to all the coolest spots along this side of the island, and he had an interesting story for everything. Snorkeling was surprisingly just as good as if we went from a boat. Includes a very scrumptious Mexican meal that is to die for! We had some delicious hicken Fajitas and ceviche which is the best Mexican meal we have ever had, and blows the Cruise meals out of the water! We also had a cooler of beer in the back that we got to enjoy during our trip. I could keep going on about all the things we did, but it would be very time consuming and long, so if you want to know more, just go to their Trip advisor page: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150809-d651462-Reviews-Cozumel_Cruise_Excursions_Private_Tours-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html#REVIEWS

It has to be the best adventure tour we have ever went on, and the only custom private jeep tour we have ever even heard of. We wish there was a family tour operator like this on every island! This was definitely the highlight of our cruise! You can read everything their custom jeep tour has to offer. www.CozumelCruiseExcursions.NET/cozumel-jeep-tour.html 

We also made a stop by Belize, which was kind of disappointed after just coming from Cozumel. It was ok but the snorkeling wasnt as good as Cozumel. There were a few nice sights but just couldnt compare. Maybe if we did Belize first and then Cozumel, we would have appreciated Belize sights a little more. But we still had a great time there even though our tour guide wasnt very enthusiastic and cared very little about his job, and especially us. 

The cruise back was really nice and relaxing, since we were very tired from running around the days before. We felt very accomplished and the Brilliance of the Seas was the perfect cruise ship to relax and enjoy the beautiful weather.

Overall our trip to Cozumel was the highlight of our vacation and the custom jeep tour in Cozumel is our all time favorite excursion! We can't wait to return, and next year we will add some Mayan ruins to our customized itinerary.

Recommend taking a Royal Caribbean Cruise, to the Western Caribbean. 

Since we will be on our first RCL cruise I don't have a favorite yet.  I did enjoy the beach at St. Maarten and the private Island of that other cruise line.  

Looking at excursions for our May trip and wondering if anyone tried the Chukka Horseback Ride N Swim in Falmouth, Jamaica?  Also, we scuba dive (guess you can tell by my photo).  Has anyone experienced the RCL sanctioned dive operations, specifically in Grand Cayman?  Had an interest in the America's Cup Regatta and thanks to Shawn’s description we will be doing that in Cozumel.

Since we will be on our first RCL cruise I don't have a favorite yet.  I did enjoy the beach at St. Maarten and the private Island of that other cruise line.  

Looking at excursions for our May trip and wondering if anyone tried the Chukka Horseback Ride N Swim in Falmouth, Jamaica?  Also, we scuba dive (guess you can tell by my photo).  Has anyone experienced the RCL sanctioned dive operations, specifically in Grand Cayman?  Had an interest in the America's Cup Regatta and thanks to Shawn’s description we will be doing that in Cozumel.

If you want a great place to swim in Falmouth, try Hilton Rose http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2011/09/15/excursion-focus-hilton-rose-hall-resort-spa-day-pass

Unless I am diving, I am not a fan of beaches or ocean swimming so Hilton Rose sounds interesting.  My daughter loves riding horses so that is why I am looking into that excursion.  Thinking it is a lot like the thing we did in Hawaii.  Sit on a horse and walk along a trail.

Unless I am diving, I am not a fan of beaches or ocean swimming so Hilton Rose sounds interesting.  My daughter loves riding horses so that is why I am looking into that excursion.  Thinking it is a lot like the thing we did in Hawaii.  Sit on a horse and walk along a trail.

Fair enough.  My next recommendation is to do a Google search for Falmouth area horseback riding.  TripAdvisor is usually a good resource.

I've done this one three times - it's fabulous!  

Fair enough.  My next recommendation is to do a Google search for Falmouth area horseback riding.  TripAdvisor is usually a good resource.

I like your recommendation over the horses.  The idea of riding in a bathing suit on a horse seems like a, "Good luck with that Bro," moment.  Will look at TripAdvisor and see what they say, but a swim up pool bar versus riding a horse?  Depends on how much do I want to indulge my daughter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Reef Gliding in Grand Cayman! OMG, this was the best thing my family and I have ever done! I think the company's name is Discovereef…they're right off the main road when you get to the port.  My husband loves to snorkel, but I'm not a very good swimmer and my 4 year old doesn't swim at all.  We were able to go snorkelling all together as a family because you lie face down on a boat like thing and look through the glass to see the bottom of the ocean. You don't have to go in the water and you don't have to swim…I didn't even get wet. My husband used his own and my son and I went on a double reef glider so that I could control it and my son could just lie there and see the reef. The boats go really slow, so no danger at all…and we were all wearing life vests.  IT WAS THE BEST…my son is still talking about the stingrays and turtles he saw.  We have to go back soon and do it again.  :D Highly recommend for sure!