Favorite specialty restaurant

Elvis

I always thought Portofino was really good. I've eaten at Chops as well, and thought it was good too. I just the Tiramisu snagged me at Portofino. Never did get to try Giovanni's on Oasis. 

Loved the ambiance of Giovanni's on Oasis. It was just average on Radiance in comparison.

Which was your favorite restaurant now that you're fresh off Radiance?

Samba Grill was pretty neat--but I've never been to a Brazilian restaurant, so maybe that's why I liked it so much.

Rita's was nice, but completely empty. They push it--big time. But no one goes, probably because of the surcharge PLUS a la carte pricing.

But I would like to mention the Dog House Boardwalk Hot Dog stand. This venue was a COMPLETE waste of space. It takes up a large area that used to be part of the Windjammer on Radiance. It gets very little business (food is free) and really seems out of place. It makes more sense on a "boardwalk" a la Oasis-class. Most people just go there because there's extra seating and it's right near the Windjammer. RCI would've made a MUCH better choice in tossing in a Johnny Rocket's and making some revenue. 

I apologize if I come off as negative (looking back on my comments). I'm a systems engineer so I study efficiency everywhere I go, and how human factors and business practice can improve revenues. Naturally, I point out the downfalls.

Apologies.

<3 RCI 4 lyfe. ;-)

I apologize if I come off as negative (looking back on my comments). I'm a systems engineer so I study efficiency everywhere I go, and how human factors and business practice can improve revenues. Naturally, I point out the downfalls.

Apologies.

<3 RCI 4 lyfe. ;-)

Nothing wrong with being negative as long as you're fair.  Plus I think others will find it useful to hear the good and bad of anything.

Samba Grill was pretty neat--but I've never been to a Brazilian restaurant, so maybe that's why I liked it so much.

Rita's was nice, but completely empty. They push it--big time. But no one goes, probably because of the surcharge PLUS a la carte pricing.

But I would like to mention the Dog House Boardwalk Hot Dog stand. This venue was a COMPLETE waste of space. It takes up a large area that used to be part of the Windjammer on Radiance. It gets very little business (food is free) and really seems out of place. It makes more sense on a "boardwalk" a la Oasis-class. Most people just go there because there's extra seating and it's right near the Windjammer. RCI would've made a MUCH better choice in tossing in a Johnny Rocket's and making some revenue. 

The doghouse concept is odd to me. I understand people enjoy hotdogs (I really don't) but does it really need a dedicated space just for that? If you're going to dedicate a space that sells one specific thing why not make it soup, baked potatoes, cheesesteak, or something more interesting that might appeal to more people. A hotdog seems like something you would be able to get a Park Cafe. I will say I did enjoy the options at Park Cafe, good selection and moved people through the place fast.

I haven't eaten at Rita's, but from what I've read the food is less than stellar. Which I cannot understand because Mexican is easy to make and can't you locate staff from origin countries to staff the place and cook the food? Or is that wrong? All the Mexican places in my town are staffed by barely English speaking nice Mexican/Spanish people. They do a great job making great food!

Both of those concepts seem like a big miss to me. Also what is the status of Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville rumor replacing Rita's and Seafood Shack. Also heard similar comments about greasy not good food from Seafood Shack. On Oasis the place was basically empty each night. 

Bryce,

Check out Texas de Brazil in Detroit on Woodward Ave. That place is amazing, even if you don't eat meat, they have a huge salad bar and the desserts are awesome too!

Also heard similar comments about greasy not good food from Seafood Shack. On Oasis the place was basically empty each night. 

I ate at Seafood Shack on Oasis back in 2010 and it was empty but I didn't think the food was awful.  

I actually would prefer Margaritaville, or any chain for that matter, not come to the ships.  I prefer the ship restaurants to be unique and something I can't enjoy on land.  That's what makes cruising special/unique.

I ate at Seafood Shack on Oasis back in 2010 and it was empty but I didn't think the food was awful.  

I actually would prefer Margaritaville, or any chain for that matter, not come to the ships.  I prefer the ship restaurants to be unique and something I can't enjoy on land.  That's what makes cruising special/unique.

Agree. I won't be too jazzed if they decide to bring a Starbucks on every ship because it's kinda a sellout to me! 

Speaking of which--at the Solarium bar on Radiance, there was a GIANT sign that advertised how they sell Seattle's best coffee, with a photo of frozen frappucino-style drinks. I tried to order one--they don't make them there (hot espresso drinks only). They're for sale at Lattetudes. Poor sign placement, if you ask me.

They had a Starbucks on Freedom of the Seas in February and I ordered "my usual" but I recall it being slightly different than I usually have it.  Of course, if they ever got Starbucks to be complimentary then I would be the biggest fan ever of outsourced restaurants onboard  :D

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I love Izumi, but that's mostly because I'm a sushi addict

I just read that they're offering a sea day brunch/lunch at Izumi for $25. We have some really, really good all you can eat sushi places here for less, so I probably wouldn't be interested but thought of you, Matt, when I read it given your interest in sushi.