Loss of C & A Internet coupon Benifit

Seen the rumors starting to swirl.

Recall reading that the benefit would be a 25% off coupon for D and 40% for D+.

Buck kick in the rear is those D+ partners traveling together where they could share a potential 4 days of surf.

I'm sure @twangster can come in and do the discount math for us...

3 hours ago, Flacruiser99 said:

Reading on CC about the loss of D & D+ free Internet Benefit after April 4? Has anyone else to add?

There is a discount for D and D+, but it has never been free.

As far as C&A membership goes, only Pinnacle members are free.

UPDATE: Ok, so we're talking about free DAYS...not "free Internet".

20 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yes, there definitely WAS free internet days for D+.  We have been getting 2 48 hour periods each.  Very disappointing if they are, really, removing this benefit.  I think they are really beginning to tread on thin ice.

Totally agree. This kind of practice is nickel and dime..and saying other cruise lines do this too doesn't change the nickel and dime aspect. When you, as a business, do this to your customers they start doing it to you.

I circle back to why we started cruising in the first place...many of those reasons are no longer on the table. Nickel and dime this, nickel and dime that...yet merry go rounds, candy stores, cup cake making, water slides, theme parks, etc. Certainly makes us sit back and evaluate a bit more...and has caused us to delay booking our next cruise for the time being.

Small change on Serenade.  Diamond still get a free day of Surf or $19.99 off a package.  Now that a day of Surf is $22.99, other ships give a $22.99 discount based on the day pass rate.  So here on Serenade the effective D/D+ discount is now even worse since you only get $19.99 off compared to $22.99 on other ships.  

10 hours ago, twangster said:

Will know soon.  If so new spreadsheets forthcoming. 

Will definitely need your spreadsheet!! We only used the free internet to check on our pets back home! We would use our two free days and we could spread it out over four days! Now, I am trying to remember what cruise you were on when you did the spreadsheet before?!? We only need a few days, not the whole week! Waiting for your wisdom!! ??? 

40 minutes ago, Deedeelynn said:

Will definitely need your spreadsheet!! We only used the free internet to check on our pets back home! We would use our two free days and we could spread it out over four days! Now, I am trying to remember what cruise you were on when you did the spreadsheet before?!? We only need a few days, not the whole week! Waiting for your wisdom!! ??? 

Boarded Serenade today - still free day(s) for D/D+ but new login screens for Voom.  Can't speak for other ships but on Serenade the free day pass remains as it was.  

This is my quick, and hopefully accurate math (and on-board price). Prices are based on Surf @ $15.99 a day and Surf+Stream @ $19.99 a day.

Previous
Full 7 day voyage
 D+: Surf $65.95      Surf+Stream $93.95 
 D: Surf $88.94      Surf+Stream $116.94 

Wait until next day
 D+: Surf $49.96      Surf+Stream $73.96 
 D: Surf $72.95      Surf+Stream $96.95 

New, based on D getting 25% and D+ getting 40%
Full 7 day voyage
 D+: Surf $67.16      Surf+Stream $83.96 
 D: Surf $83.95      Surf+Stream $104.95 

Wait until next day
 D+: Surf $57.56      Surf+Stream $71.96 
 D: Surf $71.96      Surf+Stream $89.96 

20 hours ago, CGTLH said:

This is my quick, and hopefully accurate math (and on-board price). Prices are based on Surf @ $15.99 a day and Surf+Stream @ $19.99 a day.

Previous
Full 7 day voyage
 D+: Surf $65.95      Surf+Stream $93.95 
 D: Surf $88.94      Surf+Stream $116.94 

Wait until next day
 D+: Surf $49.96      Surf+Stream $73.96 
 D: Surf $72.95      Surf+Stream $96.95 

New, based on D getting 25% and D+ getting 40%
Full 7 day voyage
 D+: Surf $67.16      Surf+Stream $83.96 
 D: Surf $83.95      Surf+Stream $104.95 

Wait until next day
 D+: Surf $57.56      Surf+Stream $71.96 
 D: Surf $71.96      Surf+Stream $89.96 

Thanks @CGTLH this helps me to figure out what to do!

Like most changes it will be better for some and worse for others.  No pleasing everyone.

For me this is a welcome change if it moves to all ships since I tend to purchase full voyage Surf and Stream plans - it's much better.  The fact that I gravitate to longer cruises helps me as well. 

For D+ on 3 - 5 night cruises it will cost slightly more but for 6 nights or longer it will cost less.

For example on a 7 night cruise for a full voyage plan the effective D+ discount was 32.9%.  The effective discount got worse for long cruises dropping as low as 19.2% for 12 night cruises.  With a straight 40% discount it's a good savings on 6 night that gets better as cruises get longer.

For Diamond the 7 night discount amounted to 16.4% while on a 12 night cruise that dropped to terrible 9.6%.    A straight 25% is better on anything 5 nights or longer.

If you are D or D+ and only do 3 or 4 night cruises you likely won't be happy with this change if you never purchased Surf and Stream, living with the slower Surf plan.

Also who this doesn't help are the D+ couples if they each used their 2 free days and shared them for 4 days of free Surf internet. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:49 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yes, there definitely WAS free internet days for D+.  We have been getting 2 48 hour periods each.  Very disappointing if they are, really, removing this benefit.  I think they are really beginning to tread on thin ice.

thin ice I should say so I am not a diamond yet just a mere emerald this next cruise by the time I reach diamond which will be jan 19 it seems there wont be many perks left oh well the one good thing about it takes the guilt out of shopping around 

When I was diamond I would have welcomed them eliminating the free day for diamond which for the most part equate to a lower discount than what emerald gets. 

My position was biased by the fact that I tend to sail longer cruises and I tend to purchase Voom for the whole cruise.  Right now for a diamond member the single day discount on a 7 night cruise yields a 16.4% discount compared to emerald at 15%.  That negligible. 

Having made D+ though, my position has changed since the D+ 2 day discount yields an effective discount of 76% (3 night) to 16% on a 14 night sailing.  So for all those FL based D+ who jump on short cruises I'm on board with hoping they don't make the change now.

As I offered earlier, it depends what type of cruiser you are.  Lots of short cruises or long ones makes a big difference in the current scheme.

Since Pinnacle gets free Surf maybe D+ should get 3 free days ?

Just now, CGTLH said:

Maybe they should have extra day(s) as a gift D+ option. One can only stand so many towels and bottles of wine.

That is a great idea.  

I fly Delta a lot and they have 'Choice Benefits' as a menu of options to choose from for elite flyers.  Having a choice allows each of us to choose what works for each of us.  

Some want free internet days, some want a towel, some may want a massage or specialty dinner.  Give us a choice each cruise.  I like it!

22 hours ago, CGTLH said:

@twangster Before the site was redone there was an option to set your gift. Some of the options were various wines, towel, slippers, then various snack sweets. I'll have to dig up the options.

Found them... from August.

I had to call them to set mine.  I got a towel but no beer as offered by the phone agent at C&A I talked to.  They made sound like I'd get both but no such luck, just a towel.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I had to call them to set mine.  I got a towel but no beer as offered by the phone agent at C&A I talked to.  They made sound like I'd get both but no such luck, just a towel.  

Beer would be the "Welcome Beverage"

Screenshot_20171201-023119.thumb.png.c725a0a8a47a50e9981033033c9c9c7d.png

• 2 weeks later...

We never use the wifi. When we go on vacation we

totally disconnect. But another "perk" gone. We just cannot

justify being "Loyal to Royal". When we became D+ we looked

forward to going to the Concierge Club. Our first trip as D+ on the

Oasis and we found out the Concierge Club was removed. Only a

Diamond club for diamond and above. Pinnacles get to use the Suites lounge.

We won't completely say goodbye to royal (if a really good deal comes up we will

jump on it) but we are looking elsewhere. Royal has the right to make any changes

they want, we also have the right to cruise with another line.