Cruising with Special Needs Passenger

Hi there. My family and I are new to the cruising experience. We are sailing on Freedom of the Seas in April.  We have a 12 year old on the Autism Spectrum and find that the more I can prepare him for new experiences, the better they are for all involved. We are lucky that he doesn't have meltdowns, isn't loud, etc... but preparation is necessary to keep the family sane.  We have been granted priority boarding because of his diagnosis. The only information we have been provided is that we just need to check in and and tell them we are on the priority boarding list but that is the only information I have received. Can anybody give me an idea of how this works? I am also hoping for information on the main dining room. We requested an early dining time (5:45PM) because we know it will be less busy in the dining room then, but I'd like to know when formal nights are. He doesn't love a suit and tie so if I can prepare him in advance it will make things much easier. 

Can anybody shed some light on these topics for me? It would be much appreciated.

3 minutes ago, StarrySkies said:

Can anybody shed some light on these topics for me? It would be much appreciated

Welcome to the Boards!  RC is VERY Autism friendly, see link.  On formal nights, he does not have to be in a suit and tie, nice pants and shirt are fine. They have relaxed the dress codes (unless of course you want to dress up as many still do also). I'm hoping others can chime in too to help you.  I think your dear son will do just fine.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/vanity/AutismFriendly

Yes....welcome to the blog and to cruising !  I am so excited for you.

As far as priority boarding is concerned, there will be lots of greeters both inside and outside of the terminal so I'm sure you will just tell one of them to direct you to the priority boarding area.  There is always a line for those in wheelchairs and other reasons.  I feel like this is where they will direct you.  I also recommend that you get there earlyish - like 11 AM as the incoming crowds will be more manageable.  You will still have to deal with people leaving the terminal but by 11 they are usually pretty cleared out.

You did the right thing (IMO) eating early.  You are correct.  The crowds are much less for the earliest dining times.  They should be able to get you in and out quickly...but not TOO quickly.  :)  The servers are extremely good with special needs and especially special needs children.  Just let them know if you want to eat and go.  ...or if you want to linger and enjoy the ambiance.  Whatever works for you guys.

Formal night ?  Don't sweat it.  Just about anything goes these days.  As long as he is not in swimwear you will not be challenged.  A pair of slacks and just about any kind of shirt will work.  Even a T-shirt.

I know you will enjoy your cruise.  Freedom is a beautiful ship with lots of things to do.  Smooth sailing !

May I make a suggestion .....

Show him pictures of the ship and things he may see ahead of time ..... I know with my former step-son, who was right in the center of the spectrum, eliminating any potential surprises was a huge stress reliever.  We even included magnets on the cabin door so he could spot it.

One thing that was also a HUGE help was making the cabin steward aware of things..... if Tighler showed up by himself, she would make sure he would be able to get in the cabin ....

The Crew was Fantastic with him ..... couldn't have asked for better.

First I hope you have a fantastic trip.  I will also be on Freedom on the April 14th sailing.  Not sure which sailing you are doing.  Formal nights are usually the 2nd night and next to last night. I would even say nice khaki shorts and nice tshirt would be fine for him on any evening.  I love all the suggestions above.  If you have any other questions, please ask and I know we will all try to answer as best as we can. Happy Sailing

59 minutes ago, RamblingRandie said:

I would even say nice khaki shorts and nice tshirt would be fine for him on any evening. 

I'm taking my 11/12 year old grandson on a cruise in July, the above dress code is exactly how I'm going to request my daughter pack for him, instead of a nice t-shirt I'm going to request polo type golf shirts because I know he has them.

Welcome aboard and happy sailing...

First I hope you will have a wonderful cruise.  As stated above there should be plenty of folks available to direct you to the priority boarding line.  A suggestion I might make if you haven't done so is to watch a couple of YouTube videos of similar cruise, same ship, etc.  These can be great resources on what to expect boarding, first day activities, etc.  You know your 12 year old so as you watch you can be looking for things that might cause him to be anxious.  For example we have someone in our family who can feal trapped in crowds.  The simple thing we do is eat a small snack before boarding so we don't have to join the hoard immediately going to the windjammer for lunch.  We simply find a couple a longers by the pool, which is almost always deserted, and relax into the first day on the ship.  Then as the crowd has eaten and begins fanning out around the ship that is the time we begin exploring the interior spaces.  We love the Royal crew members and I feel they will do everything they can so you all have a great vacation.  All you got to do is ask.

Hi StarrySkies, I am very familiar with challenges people on the Autistic Spectrum face and yes planning is good.

Your embarkation is sorted.

Muster Drill. This entails standing outside with other passengers and can be very claustrophobic.

If this would affect your son speak to a member of staff as this is a Mandatory requirement for passengers prior to the ships setting sail. Also during this time the ship will sound it's horn - and it can be loud. If your son is sensitive to loud noises you may wish to prepare him

You will probably find the news letter very helpful.

This is delivered each evening to your stateroom and will tell you what is going on around the ship the next day - so a good chance to prepare your son.

Meals 

In the Wind Jammer can get very busy at times so you may need to eat early on Sea Days and maybe a bit later on Port days if this would challenge him. Then of course you could order breakfast in your room or maybe use the dining room.

Shows

You may find going earlier helpful so you have a better choice of where to sit with your son.

Port days.

Will you book a ships tour? Again these days can be very busy whilst waiting for your call if you have a tour booked.

Sea Days

You can generally find a quieter place out side if this helps your son, or of course there are things going off inside.

Enjoy your cruise.

Regarding the muster drill....if your son is not comfortable in large crowds, they will make special arrangements to have you attend the must drill somewhere more comfortable than outside on the decks.  I cannot stand for long periods of time and they always allow me to go inside and sit in the dining room and listen to the muster drill.  Just speak to someone at the Guest Services desk before the muster drill and they will direct you speak with someone who can help.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond.  I am surprised to hear that the dress code is more relaxed than what is stated on the website. I am a rule follower by nature and never would have thought that I could take a slightly more relaxed approach to dressing while on board. It is sounding like a nice pair of tan pants, a dress shirt, blue blazer and a pair of Sperrys  or dress shorts and golf shirts will be sufficient and is something he is a little more at ease wearing. 

I think we will try to be there to board around 11AM as suggested.  I'll make sure everybody has a little snack in their backpack and we will go find some chairs by the pool and relax until the lunch rush has subsided. 

I have a special needs little guy. He can’t handle peak times in windjammer or the food (smells, and sight ) in the dining room. We tend to feed him in our room ( make a plate to go at windjammer or order room service) and then let him go to Adventure Ocean. He LOVES it there. 

I agree about seeing about an alternate to muster drill. 

Disembarking is also a sensory nightmare for my guy :( I suggest either trying to get into first or last group to be called. This upcoming cruise we will be doing first group off. 

As as far as the rest of the cruise, if you avoid peak times for things I bet you find cruising with a special needs kid is surprisingly relaxing and enjoyable ? 

3 hours ago, StarrySkies said:

Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond.  I am surprised to hear that the dress code is more relaxed than what is stated on the website. I am a rule follower by nature and never would have thought that I could take a slightly more relaxed approach to dressing while on board. It is sounding like a nice pair of tan pants, a dress shirt, blue blazer and a pair of Sperrys  or dress shorts and golf shirts will be sufficient and is something he is a little more at ease wearing. 

I think we will try to be there to board around 11AM as suggested.  I'll make sure everybody has a little snack in their backpack and we will go find some chairs by the pool and relax until the lunch rush has subsided. 

Hi Starry welcome to our forum as a parent of a special needs wheelchair bound 17 year old at least partially on the spectrum who has been cruising for 8+years I understand your concerns and will help you anyway I can.First and foremost you have definitely picked the right cruise line they will bend over backwards to accommodate your every need beginning with a great special needs dept.8665927225 they can answer any questions you may have about the ship and its activities and shore excursion questions basically any questions about accessability you may have from embarkation to disembarkation getting to the ship early is definitely a plus because I have found that as you get towards 1p things get real hectic in the windjammer I have found that sorrentos was open a lot of times we sailed on freedom class it is located on the promenade and has pizza which my daughter prefers.check both out and see which is preferred you cant get in your cabin till about 1 p, I found after a little stroll around the ship away from the lost souls you will encounter my daughter likes to go outside on deck when you see the crew members starting to put on there brightly colored muster drill vests proceed as early as you care to your assigned station because it has been my experience that most people wait till the last minute to go to them and pack in fast and tight at least for my daughter you will see a crew member with a scan gun or a clipboard go to them and show them your seapass card and explain your situation after they check you in you can usually do as I do and go to the schooner bar and sit down they will have someone there to show you the life vest and you can hear the announcements the first bump in the road I encountered was the alarm going off signifying the drill is underway my daughter was terrified to say it is loud is an understatement I cured the problem with a personal music player and headphones playing her favorite tunes it is a great idea to search on google for the freedom videos to familiarize all with what to expect depending on the degree of your childs sensitivity you will find a much more peaceful breakfast in the dining room but it is only available from 7 to I think 9 but you will get a cruise compass everyday telling you times and such for everything I love dinner in the dining room but my daughter loves the windjammer dinners where it seems lately many of the same selections are in both and the crowd is very minimal I just got off the independence and we ate dinner in the windjammer every night the waiter took very personal care of us making sure we had the same table all the time.If your child is sensitive to darkness try to get to the shows early and get up as close as you can to the show in the middle to back of the theater it gets dark and has caused me problems in the past.i could go on and on but I don't want to bore you if you have any questions at all that I may help you with please don't hesitate to ask one last thing there is an organization named Autism on the seas they specialize in special needs family vacations they are incredible and cost is about the same as booking a cruise normally search them on google they take families with autistic children of all ages they have a tremendous amount of experience in this field my first RC cruises was with them they bring counselors with them on the cruise according to how many children or clients they have going they have pool time every day they go with you on shore excursions to the beaches they take care of the muster drill experience by bringing all the clients and families into one of the conference rooms dinner is in AOS private dining room an attached dining room to the main we have had personal ships bridge tours ice skating every type of activity you can name and every night the kids can go to adventure ocean with the AOS staff for respite giving you time to go off on your own These people are the best ive ever met and many have become great friends Royal has heavily supported this organization for years The pirate night brought tears to my eyes google them and see what you think they made the very first 2 cruises go so smoothly with absolutely no stress. once again WELCOME TO OUR FORUM :6_smile: