I could call RC, but thought I'd ask here first...

Lindsay

Good morning!, 

So...I'm going to try to make a long story short but that's hard for me since I am wordy.  Here goes:

My Mom and I planned a RC cruise on Liberty of the Seas for this October 14th - 21st.  We booked it and my Mom paid in full and I paid her my 1/2.  Don't get me started on her paying in full.  I tried to stop her from doing this and explained to her that if she paid in full we couldn't lower the price if the price dropped but there is no arguing with my Mom.  LOL

ANYWAYS, she called me last night and said that we'll need to move the cruise because she completely forgot that she had booked a trip with old high school girlfriends and that trip could not be moved.  

So now we are looking at going on a different cruise.  Same ship, different dates.  Maybe just a week or two before the originally planned one.  Question is...what will the penalty be for switching cruises if any?  Without knowing anything about Royal policies and procedures on this my Mom just insists that Royal wouldn't charge us a dime since we are just moving the cruise from one date to the other.  I explained to her that they are running a business and there probably would be a charge.  Again...no arguing with my sweet Mom.  LOL.   

Thank you in advance for your answers/advice!

17 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

What about the other money?  We paid in full. 

I think what Matt says, the $100 PP and then they will apply to the new cruise date. Valuable lesson here at your expense I'm sorry to say, wait till final is due. I'm sorry you have to go through this, but it will still be fun once you and Mom get on the ship!

6 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

I think what Matt says, the $100 PP and then they will apply to the new cruise date. Valuable lesson here at your expense I'm sorry to say, wait till final is due. I'm sorry you have to go through this, but it will still be fun once you and Mom get on the ship!

Thanks y'all!  Okay, just spoke to RC.  It's $100 PP for the change fee.  They are moving the balance we paid over to the new cruise but the new cruise is $297.98 more for the same room category (Spacious Ocean View Room).  I kept telling my Mom not to pay in full.  UGH.  Oh well. 

33 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

Thanks y'all!  Okay, just spoke to RC.  It's $100 PP for the change fee.  They are moving the balance we paid over to the new cruise but the new cruise is $297.98 more for the same room category (Spacious Ocean View Room).  I kept telling my Mom not to pay in full.  UGH.  Oh well. 

Keep watching the rates ...... if they drop, they'll still refund the difference to the credit card used to make the purchase..... it's a little more time-consuming but there's still a way to make it work.

Your mother should've listened to you.

34 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

Glad you got it sorted out! I'm also happy they are transferring the balance instead of refunding you the money and then making you rebook in the meantime.

10 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Keep watching the rates ...... if they drop, they'll still refund the difference to the credit card used to make the purchase..... it's a little more time-consuming but there's still a way to make it work.

Your mother should've listened to you.

Thank you!  I sure will watch and call if I see a drop.  I have alerts for this on my ShipMate app too.  :) 

Yes, she should've!  LOL

2 hours ago, Lindsay said:

Thank you!  I sure will watch and call if I see a drop.  I have alerts for this on my ShipMate app too.  :)

Side note: from past experience, those alerts from ShipMate are never accurate.  At least not for me.  Best bet is to check the RC site directly.

And...Just reading this thread now and @Lindsay and @Boston Babe your profile pics are almost identical when glancing quickly!  

3 hours ago, Lindsay said:

This was going to be my only consideration is that they new dates might be more expensive.

I'm on the Freedom basically those same dates, which I had moved to those dates late last year, it so happened my cruise went down, so I got lucky...

47 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

This was going to be my only consideration is that they new dates might be more expensive.

I'm on the Freedom basically those same dates, which I had moved to those dates late last year, it so happened my cruise went down, so I got lucky...

Well, the good thing is that because my Mom's plans are the reason we are changing the date...she paid for the change fee AND the difference in the price of the cruise.  I offered to pay my 1/2 but she wouldn't hear of it.  Can't wait to spend this week with my amazing Mom.   

56 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Side note: from past experience, those alerts from ShipMate are never accurate.  At least not for me.  Best bet is to check the RC site directly.

And...Just reading this thread now and @Lindsay and @Boston Babe your profile pics are almost identical when glancing quickly!  

Thank you!  I will make sure to check directly too!  I just checked out her profile pic...you're right!  LOL!

12 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

Great minds!! LOL, I can't find a pic of me and hubby to fit! 

Me neither!  It kept saying - too big!  Here is a pic from 2 years ago.  We had it taken on the deck of our cruise (RC of course).  The photographer was REALLY pushing black and white inside the studio.  I love how they turned out and told the photographer that if he offered sunset pics like this, I'd bet more people would book more sessions!!!

fampic.jpg

9 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

Can't wait to spend this week with my amazing Mom

it's great that you can spend time together.

My wife and i will be on Liberty in July with our 11 year old Grandson, he's cruised before, but only once and it was on Disney, so this will be an experience for him and I'm sure me as well.

We got the idea last year on Liberty, we were sitting next to a women and a 10ish year old little girl, so my wife started up a conversation, turns out this Grand Mother has taken and will continue to take each one of her Grand children on what she called their double digit birthday cruise, so each time one of them hits 10, they get a cruise with her, I think she said her husband normally goes but that he couldn't on this one.

So my wife and i decided to do the same thing, it just so happens that our oldest Grandson was already 11, it was actually harder to convince his parents then him, he was all for it, they didn't think it was fair leaving his 2 younger bothers at home, I told my daughter that they will get theirs when they turn 10.  

1 minute ago, tiny260 said:

My wife and i will be on Liberty in July with our 11 year old Grandson, he's cruised before, but only once and it was on Disney, so this will be an experience for him and I'm sure me as well.

We got the idea last year on Liberty, we were sitting next to a women and a 10ish year old little girl, so my wife started up a conversation, turns out this Grand Mother has taken and will continue to take each one of her Grand children on what she called their double digit birthday cruise, so each time one of them hits 10, they get a cruise with her, I think she said her husband normally goes but that he couldn't on this one.

So my wife and i decided to do the same thing, it just so happens that our oldest Grandson was already 11, it was actually harder to convince his parents then him, he was all for it, they didn't think it was fair leaving his 2 younger bothers at home, I told my daughter that they will get theirs when they turn 10.  

This IS a great idea!  What a special idea and your grandchildren will never forget it.  Be sure to take lots of pictures and you can create a scrapbook for them on Shutterfly or Picaboo for them to look through for years to come!

20 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

Me neither!  It kept saying - too big!  Here is a pic from 2 years ago.  We had it taken on the deck of our cruise (RC of course).  The photographer was REALLY pushing black and white inside the studio.  I love how they turned out and told the photographer that if he offered sunset pics like this, I'd bet more people would book more sessions!!!

fampic.jpg

Lindsay...Gorgeous photo!!!!

1 minute ago, Lindsay said:

Thanks!  It's my favorite ever.  Here is my 2nd favorite ever.  And this little guy is now almost as tall as me and 14 now!  :(  Time goes too too fast.  So glad we have these memories and pictures.  

Mom&J.jpg

Love it!  Was this just done by one of the ship photographers that stand around or was this a scheduled session?

Just now, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Love it!  Was this just done by one of the ship photographers that stand around or was this a scheduled session?

Thank you so much.  I had to schedule it and I scheduled on day 1 of the cruise with the ship photographer.  He brought lights out on the deck and we timed it perfectly at sunset. 

I can't remember if he charged me a fee or not for the session.  I want to say he did?  This was 2 years ago so I don't recall.  I do remember that I bought the CD from him with the digital files on it.  I didn't have any of the pics printed there. 

He really REALLY didn't want to do it at all and was pushing for a black and white session in the studio.  He kept saying it was too windy...and it was very very windy but that added a great element to the pics in my opinion.  And the sunset background just made the pictures so special too.

3 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

Thank you so much.  I had to schedule it and I scheduled on day 1 of the cruise with the ship photographer.  He brought lights out on the deck and we timed it perfectly at sunset. 

I can't remember if he charged me a fee or not for the session.  I want to say he did?  This was 2 years ago so I don't recall.  I do remember that I bought the CD from him with the digital files on it.  I didn't have any of the pics printed there. 

He really REALLY didn't want to do it at all and was pushing for a black and white session in the studio.  He kept saying it was too windy...and it was very very windy but that added a great element to the pics in my opinion.  And the sunset background just made the pictures so special too.

Well, it was definitely worth pushing him for it!  The end result is amazing!

14 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

This IS a great idea!  What a special idea and your grandchildren will never forget it.  Be sure to take lots of pictures and you can create a scrapbook for them on Shutterfly or Picaboo for them to look through for years to come!

My Grandson has already told me that we have to recreate a couple of picture he and I were in on the Disney cruise on Cozumel, someone snapped a picture of us sitting by the seawall and a big bronze eagle, he was 6, i didn't remember it but he did, then there was one at the Disney pier of him holding some parrots, so somehow we are going to have to recreate these, we were planning on going the other direction to Mr. Sancho's, so I guess that will change...

2 hours ago, Lindsay said:

Thanks!  It's my favorite ever.  Here is my 2nd favorite ever.  And this little guy is now almost as tall as me and 14 now!  :(  Time goes too too fast.  So glad we have these memories and pictures.

Stunning, to say the least! I don't think it would be possible to find a more attractive family for modeling! Who could not be jealous of all your magnificent eyes?!

I'm trying to learn all the rules, correct me if I'm wrong. . . but because you had non-refundable deposit you had to pay the $100 pp.  My understanding is that when you actually make the final payment has nothing to do with it.  The final payment "date" is still the same and once you are past that then you start incurring penalties even if you have a refundable deposit.  So I was expecting that it was your rate type (non-refundable) that played into this scenario and not the fact that you actually paid in full. 

5 hours ago, tiny260 said:

What a cute idea !

15 hours ago, hoofbeats95 said:

I'm trying to learn all the rules, correct me if I'm wrong. . . but because you had non-refundable deposit you had to pay the $100 pp.  My understanding is that when you actually make the final payment has nothing to do with it.  The final payment "date" is still the same and once you are past that then you start incurring penalties even if you have a refundable deposit.  So I was expecting that it was your rate type (non-refundable) that played into this scenario and not the fact that you actually paid in full. 

Yes, I learned this to be true yesterday!  :) 

On 3/28/2018 at 6:52 PM, hoofbeats95 said:

This is my understanding also.   I d not think it effects your ability to take advantage of any price drops either.