Dining in the Main Dining Room

MomOnTheRun

What to expect.... 

We have MTD, and I reserved the first two days time slots.  The time allotted was 2 hours,  is that just to help with scheduling or does it really take that long with different courses?  

Two of our group are vegetarians,  is there a normal vegetarian dish served each night, or would it have to be a special request?  

Other tips or things I should know about the main dining room? 

In the past we only ate in the dining room once - and we had dolphins swimming along side of us, way more memorable that the meal itself!    

Rarely does it take the whole time allocation to eat.  It depends a lot on the time that you are eating and obviously, how taxed the servers are.  We always eat early - as soon as they open the MDR, usually 5:30.  There is a very light crowd at that time and our results have been very good with getting prompt service and finishing up in a reasonable amount of time.  We often skip dessert too so that makes it even quicker.  If you are eating between 6 - 7:30 it will be much more crowded and that slows things down a lot.

There is always a vegetarian option but I think they will work with you to offer other options if they know ahead of time that there are vegetarians coming.  So I recommend that you alert the dining room of when you are dining so that they can be prepared.  It's a fairly common request these days so I don't think it 's a big deal to have some additional food options on hand.

4 hours ago, MomOnTheRun said:

The time allotted was 2 hours,  is that just to help with scheduling or does it really take that long with different courses?  

Night 1 takes longer than most nights, but rest of the nights it's right around 1 hour.  They schedule 2 to be on the safe side.

Two of our group are vegetarians,  is there a normal vegetarian dish served each night, or would it have to be a special request?  

Both. There will be vegetarian options, but you can make other requests. As an example, I always order a vegetarian Indian curry dish.  I'm not vegetarian, but love curry!

Other tips or things I should know about the main dining room? 

Top 10 insider tips for Royal Caribbean's main dining room

25 must-read Royal Caribbean dining secrets

On 3/29/2018 at 12:50 PM, MomOnTheRun said:

My vegetarian loves Indian food - so that is awesome.   I'm looking forward to having (making) the family dress up one night for dinner.   Good food and great photo opportunity. 

i have done that before as well.   i really didn't want anything on the menu one night, so i asked the waiter if the employee cafeteria had chicken tikka masala.  he said they didn't that night, but he had some made for me.   so, if they can do that, they can make almost anything for you, even vegetarian dishes.