Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Recommended Posts

I'm booking a cruise in March 2019.  What is the best insurance option. My agent tells me that RC offers insurance.  She said the difference with theirs is that if you cancel for an *not* covered reason they will give you 75% of the penalty toward a future cruise.   I checked my credit cards and neither offer trip cancellation insurance.  They offer various other travel benefits, but not that.  So I definitely want insurance.   Any tips are appreciated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I went back and forth about this for awhile, I had insurance booked on all of my future cruises (Which is 4) but I cancelled and went with Allianz Travel Insurance, and took out an annual policy because I have other non-cruise vacations coming up that Allianz would also cover.

I found Allianz more economical than what Royal was providing, full disclosure I have never had to use a policy yet, so I have no idea what it would be like to file a claim.

Hope this helps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We took out an annual family plan with Allianz.  We've never taken out insurance before, but as we are getting old figured it was time.  Much cheaper for us to take the annual plan than buying individual policies each cruise.  As of today's bookings, the one year plan will cover three cruises, plus any other traveling we do (like a college boy going on a spring break trip.)  We did not choose the most expensive plan, which lets us cancel for any reason at any time just cause we feel like it, as there is no way that will happen.  We chose a plan that made sense for us and how we travel.  There are three different annual plans to choose from.

@Matt may have some insight on filing a claim using the insurance.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone use a company other than Allianz? 

I'm confused when insurance needs to be purchased... By final payment? I'm also a bit confused how insurance works in regards to the non-refundable deposit. Would I lose that even if I canceled for a covered reason? I thought post final payment date the type of deposit you chose no longer mattered. I'm a bit overwhelmed simply with the options for booking! Adding in travel insurance adds more confusion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, hoofbeats95 said:

Does anyone use a company other than Allianz? 

I'm confused when insurance needs to be purchased... By final payment? I'm also a bit confused how insurance works in regards to the non-refundable deposit. Would I lose that even if I canceled for a covered reason? I thought post final payment date the type of deposit you chose no longer mattered. I'm a bit overwhelmed simply with the options for booking! Adding in travel insurance adds more confusion.

Depends on what plan you are buying and what the terms of that plan is.  I know it's not a clear answer, sorry.  You have to read the fine print as to what and when is covered.  Some plans have pre-existing medical conditions not covered based on when you book the trip in relation to the insurance, and vice versa.  I can tell you with the plan I bought, I was past final payment for my May cruise, and the other two cruises I have during this plan year were booked ages ago.  

We did look at every one of our credit cards and none offer more than flight delay or baggage insurance, so we felt this was the way to go.  Since your cruise is so far away, relax, read through your options, and find what fits best for you.  If you are using a travel agent, they can be very helpful.  One of the benefits of using a travel agent is you have free one-on-one support to walk you through this.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, tiny260 said:

I found Allianz more economical than what Royal was providing,

@tiny260, Question, I spoke with Allianz several times and what they DONT cover is trip cancellation insurance or is there a seperate rider I'm not aware of? They cover medivac, baggage etc but was under the impression not trip cancellation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

@tiny260, Question, I spoke with Allianz several times and what they DONT cover is trip cancellation insurance or is there a seperate rider I'm not aware of? They cover medivac, baggage etc but was under the impression not trip cancellation. 

Here is a screenshot of part of the page from my certificate of insurance.  You'll see trip cancellation is clearly covered for many reasons.  You can actually go to the Allianz website, choose the plan, and download this certificate to read it before purchasing. 

2018-03-25.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks.  I have a hold on a cruise that I will need to pay deposit on Mon or Tues.   So I'm trying to learn about cancelation insurance asap so I can purchase if necessary within 24 hours.  Because I'm not clear on the timeline of best coverage.  I am working with an MEI agent, but that's a bit overwhelming at times because I'm such a newbie.  I find coming here or researching on my own works better.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KathyC said:

Here is a screenshot of part of the page from my certificate of insurance

Thanks so much Kathy.  I'm under full payment for my May cruise, but I will blow off Sept and january if that's the case. I'm going online now to check it out. they charge way too much with the cruise line and I can get this for a year correct? HOWEVER, I think the trip cancellation is only good once. so if you do have more than one vacation and use it, it's done I think. At that point I guess you can go back to the cruise insurance. I'm babbling, too early in the morning for me! LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

Thanks so much Kathy.  I'm under full payment for my May cruise, but I will blow off Sept and january if that's the case. I'm going online now to check it out. they charge way too much with the cruise line and I can get this for a year correct? HOWEVER, I think the trip cancellation is only good once. so if you do have more than one vacation and use it, it's done I think. At that point I guess you can go back to the cruise insurance. I'm babbling, too early in the morning for me! LOL

The plan we chose covers all four of us for one year.  For me, that's three cruises and who knows what for two college boys.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KathyC said:

The plan we chose covers all four of us for one year.  For me, that's three cruises and who knows what for two college boys.

 

7 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

Thanks so much Kathy.  I'm under full payment for my May cruise, but I will blow off Sept and january if that's the case. I'm going online now to check it out. they charge way too much with the cruise line and I can get this for a year correct? HOWEVER, I think the trip cancellation is only good once. so if you do have more than one vacation and use it, it's done I think. At that point I guess you can go back to the cruise insurance. I'm babbling, too early in the morning for me! LOL

I've also read that the yearly plans have limits on cancelation coverage. I don't know that you could cancel every single trip. Lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KathyC said:

You can add cancel for any reason coverage for an additional cost.  We did not add that to ours, because the only thing that will make us cancel IS a reason!  LOL 

I agree with that, though I'm confused by the pregnancy coverage. I'm not pregnant. I don't intend to be. But... Other than that every other reason I'd cancel is covered. 

But in terms of the annual plan I thought there was a maximum dollar amount of cancelation coverage? In which case I didn't think you'd be able to actually cancel every trip. Not true? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hoofbeats95 said:

I agree with that, though I'm confused by the pregnancy coverage. I'm not pregnant. I don't intend to be. But... Other than that every other reason I'd cancel is covered. 

But in terms of the annual plan I thought there was a maximum dollar amount of cancelation coverage? In which case I didn't think you'd be able to actually cancel every trip. Not true? 

I'd have to read through the entire policy to be sure, and it's way too early on a Sunday.  LOL!!  My suggestion; go to the Allianz website, click on the annual plan options, and download the three policy certificates.  Then get a big cup of coffee or tea and read through them to see what fits you best.   There may be more answers to your questions than I can provide. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to call allianz today when I have time. But my agent says that the non refundable deposit isn't covered by insurance. The Allianz summary page says "reimburses your prepaid non-refundable expenses if you must cancel your trip due to a covered reason". 

So would I get the deposit back or not? This is so confusing. I don't know whether to go refundable deposit or non.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hoofbeats95 said:

So would I get the deposit back or not?

HOnestly, I too am going to call them again. I think getting your answer verbally, then in writing after you speak with them you will get correct information. It sounds like your TA is referring to Royal's insurance plan not Allianz, perhaps she's not familiar with them.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...