Which travel insurance

9 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

The $200 is acutally $100pp (for @WAAAYTOOO and her husband).  There is no change fee on the refundable deposit.  That's what makes it appealing.

If you have NRD and cancel before final payment, then you are completely out $100pp and the remainder of that you will get back in the form of a Future Cruise credit that you can use within one year.  It expires.  If you have a refundable deposit and cancel prior to final payment, you are out nothing.

Some people book a refundable (to hold the spot) and then later when they are more sure of dates, etc. they change it to NRD to get the lower rate.  This sometimes backfires as the price has usually gone way up by then, or as @WAAAYTOOO and I have experienced, the room you actually want is gone.

I thought if you have NRD and cancel before final payment you are out $500? 

Just now, hoofbeats95 said:

I thought if you have NRD and cancel before final payment you are out $500? 

If you have 5 people on the reservation.  Otherwise, no.  You are out $100 per person and the remainder comes back to you in the form of a Future Cruise Credit (it's like store credit).  But it expires.

9 minutes ago, hoofbeats95 said:

I didn't think you could change from refundable to non-refundable.

Yes, this is perfectly fine to do. Like @Boston Babe, I converted my refundable Junior Suite booking on Anthem to a non-refundable a couple of months ago, mainly because of a promotion that came out which made it worth my while (equivalent base price vs the original refundable booking, plus on-board credit). No fee for this, I'm just fully locked into that sailing now and will have to pay the change fee if something forces us to cancel.

8 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Some people book a refundable (to hold the spot) and then later when they are more sure of dates, etc. they change it to NRD to get the lower rate.  This sometimes backfires as the price has usually gone way up by then

I definitely got lucky on that front. As noted, the initial conversion didn't really help me much in terms of the base fare. But then another promo came along after that which ended up saving me about $100, at the cost of some of my OBC (which I was willing to sacrifice for a lower up-front cost in this case). Then luck came my way a second time, when the very next promo kept the same base price as before but increased the OBC to almost what I had before. So overall I lucked into a net win.

Just now, JLMoran said:

Yes, this is perfectly fine to do. Like @Boston Babe, I converted my refundable Junior Suite booking on Anthem to a non-refundable a couple of months ago, mainly because of a promotion that came out which made it worth my while (equivalent base price vs the original refundable booking, plus on-board credit). No fee for this, I'm just fully locked into that sailing now and will have to pay the change fee if something forces us to cancel.

I definitely got lucky on that front. As noted, the initial conversion didn't really help me much in terms of the base fare. But then another promo came along after that which ended up saving me about $100, at the cost of some of my OBC (which I was willing to sacrifice for a lower up-front cost in this case). Then luck came my way a second time, when the very next promo kept the same base price as before but increased the OBC to almost what I had before. So overall I lucked into a net win.

Yes, like anything you have to monitor it.  Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.  I think it depends on the time of year you sail too.  All my cruises have pretty gone up from the time of booking because I always go during school holidays and summer.

4 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

If you have 5 people on the reservation.  Otherwise, no.  You are out $100 per person and the remainder comes back to you in the form of a Future Cruise Credit (it's like store credit).  But it expires.

I have 2 people.  My MEI agent said if I have non-refundable and cancel before final payment I'm out $500.   This is driving me nuts.  

20 minutes ago, hoofbeats95 said:

I have 2 people.  My MEI agent said if I have non-refundable and cancel before final payment I'm out $500.   This is driving me nuts.  

It's $250 deposit per person right to make $500?  So if you cancel with a NRD, you lose $200 completely and you will get back 2 FCC worth $150 each.  But they will expire in 1 year from the date of issue.

Maybe it's time for a new TA?  From what I've heard, there are some really good MEI ones out there...

@hoofbeats95 you can read more details about it here:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/05/09/royal-caribbean-announces-new-non-refundable-deposit-program

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/legal.do

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

If they aren't going to cover non-refundable deposits then it will be of limited use to me.  I am looking for a way to be able to book a suite and then cancel if I have to.

2 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

BINGO!!! ME too!!

Lol! I just read this over again and missed these earlier!  Me three!!!!

If you ladies ever figure it out let me know!