Which travel insurance

I'm booking a cruise in March 2019.  What is the best insurance option. My agent tells me that RC offers insurance.  She said the difference with theirs is that if you cancel for an *not* covered reason they will give you 75% of the penalty toward a future cruise.   I checked my credit cards and neither offer trip cancellation insurance.  They offer various other travel benefits, but not that.  So I definitely want insurance.   Any tips are appreciated. 

I went back and forth about this for awhile, I had insurance booked on all of my future cruises (Which is 4) but I cancelled and went with Allianz Travel Insurance, and took out an annual policy because I have other non-cruise vacations coming up that Allianz would also cover.

I found Allianz more economical than what Royal was providing, full disclosure I have never had to use a policy yet, so I have no idea what it would be like to file a claim.

Hope this helps.

We took out an annual family plan with Allianz.  We've never taken out insurance before, but as we are getting old figured it was time.  Much cheaper for us to take the annual plan than buying individual policies each cruise.  As of today's bookings, the one year plan will cover three cruises, plus any other traveling we do (like a college boy going on a spring break trip.)  We did not choose the most expensive plan, which lets us cancel for any reason at any time just cause we feel like it, as there is no way that will happen.  We chose a plan that made sense for us and how we travel.  There are three different annual plans to choose from.

@Matt may have some insight on filing a claim using the insurance.

Does anyone use a company other than Allianz? 

I'm confused when insurance needs to be purchased... By final payment? I'm also a bit confused how insurance works in regards to the non-refundable deposit. Would I lose that even if I canceled for a covered reason? I thought post final payment date the type of deposit you chose no longer mattered. I'm a bit overwhelmed simply with the options for booking! Adding in travel insurance adds more confusion.

18 minutes ago, hoofbeats95 said:

Does anyone use a company other than Allianz? 

I'm confused when insurance needs to be purchased... By final payment? I'm also a bit confused how insurance works in regards to the non-refundable deposit. Would I lose that even if I canceled for a covered reason? I thought post final payment date the type of deposit you chose no longer mattered. I'm a bit overwhelmed simply with the options for booking! Adding in travel insurance adds more confusion.

Depends on what plan you are buying and what the terms of that plan is.  I know it's not a clear answer, sorry.  You have to read the fine print as to what and when is covered.  Some plans have pre-existing medical conditions not covered based on when you book the trip in relation to the insurance, and vice versa.  I can tell you with the plan I bought, I was past final payment for my May cruise, and the other two cruises I have during this plan year were booked ages ago.  

We did look at every one of our credit cards and none offer more than flight delay or baggage insurance, so we felt this was the way to go.  Since your cruise is so far away, relax, read through your options, and find what fits best for you.  If you are using a travel agent, they can be very helpful.  One of the benefits of using a travel agent is you have free one-on-one support to walk you through this.  

14 hours ago, tiny260 said:

I found Allianz more economical than what Royal was providing,

@tiny260, Question, I spoke with Allianz several times and what they DONT cover is trip cancellation insurance or is there a seperate rider I'm not aware of? They cover medivac, baggage etc but was under the impression not trip cancellation. 

12 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

@tiny260, Question, I spoke with Allianz several times and what they DONT cover is trip cancellation insurance or is there a seperate rider I'm not aware of? They cover medivac, baggage etc but was under the impression not trip cancellation. 

Here is a screenshot of part of the page from my certificate of insurance.  You'll see trip cancellation is clearly covered for many reasons.  You can actually go to the Allianz website, choose the plan, and download this certificate to read it before purchasing. 

2018-03-25.png

Thanks.  I have a hold on a cruise that I will need to pay deposit on Mon or Tues.   So I'm trying to learn about cancelation insurance asap so I can purchase if necessary within 24 hours.  Because I'm not clear on the timeline of best coverage.  I am working with an MEI agent, but that's a bit overwhelming at times because I'm such a newbie.  I find coming here or researching on my own works better.   

1 minute ago, KathyC said:

Here is a screenshot of part of the page from my certificate of insurance

Thanks so much Kathy.  I'm under full payment for my May cruise, but I will blow off Sept and january if that's the case. I'm going online now to check it out. they charge way too much with the cruise line and I can get this for a year correct? HOWEVER, I think the trip cancellation is only good once. so if you do have more than one vacation and use it, it's done I think. At that point I guess you can go back to the cruise insurance. I'm babbling, too early in the morning for me! LOL

5 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

Thanks so much Kathy.  I'm under full payment for my May cruise, but I will blow off Sept and january if that's the case. I'm going online now to check it out. they charge way too much with the cruise line and I can get this for a year correct? HOWEVER, I think the trip cancellation is only good once. so if you do have more than one vacation and use it, it's done I think. At that point I guess you can go back to the cruise insurance. I'm babbling, too early in the morning for me! LOL

The plan we chose covers all four of us for one year.  For me, that's three cruises and who knows what for two college boys.

The plan we chose covers all four of us for one year.  For me, that's three cruises and who knows what for two college boys.

7 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

I've also read that the yearly plans have limits on cancelation coverage. I don't know that you could cancel every single trip. Lol 

You can add cancel for any reason coverage for an additional cost.  We did not add that to ours, because the only thing that will make us cancel IS a reason!  LOL 

I agree with that, though I'm confused by the pregnancy coverage. I'm not pregnant. I don't intend to be. But... Other than that every other reason I'd cancel is covered. 

But in terms of the annual plan I thought there was a maximum dollar amount of cancelation coverage? In which case I didn't think you'd be able to actually cancel every trip. Not true? 

1 minute ago, hoofbeats95 said:

I agree with that, though I'm confused by the pregnancy coverage. I'm not pregnant. I don't intend to be. But... Other than that every other reason I'd cancel is covered. 

But in terms of the annual plan I thought there was a maximum dollar amount of cancelation coverage? In which case I didn't think you'd be able to actually cancel every trip. Not true? 

I'd have to read through the entire policy to be sure, and it's way too early on a Sunday.  LOL!!  My suggestion; go to the Allianz website, click on the annual plan options, and download the three policy certificates.  Then get a big cup of coffee or tea and read through them to see what fits you best.   There may be more answers to your questions than I can provide. 

I'm going to call allianz today when I have time. But my agent says that the non refundable deposit isn't covered by insurance. The Allianz summary page says "reimburses your prepaid non-refundable expenses if you must cancel your trip due to a covered reason". 

So would I get the deposit back or not? This is so confusing. I don't know whether to go refundable deposit or non.  

Just now, hoofbeats95 said:

So would I get the deposit back or not?

HOnestly, I too am going to call them again. I think getting your answer verbally, then in writing after you speak with them you will get correct information. It sounds like your TA is referring to Royal's insurance plan not Allianz, perhaps she's not familiar with them.  

40 minutes ago, hoofbeats95 said:

Allianz told me that the deposit is covered. As long as you insure the full amount. I'm starting to wonder if my agent knows what she's doing... Which is worrisome to me

That is only if you had to cancel the trip due to a covered reason which is detailed in their policy wordings. 

4 minutes ago, jurrjurr said:

That is only if you had to cancel the trip due to a covered reason which is detailed in their policy wordings. 

Yes but my agent said the nonrefundable deposit wasn't covered at all. So that didn't make sense.  This whole thing is so confusing. I don't know which company to choose or which deposit type. 

1 minute ago, hoofbeats95 said:

Yes but my agent said the nonrefundable deposit wasn't covered at all. So that didn't make sense.  This whole thing is so confusing. I don't know which company to choose or which deposit type. 

My advice is book a refundable deposit. I still have yet to book a non-refundable deposit ever.  That covers your cancellation problem (unless you're booking a non-refundable only room like a suite).

If you are in a category that has non-refundable only, then your best bet is to wait.  Better to pay a bit more than incur a cancellation fee, right?

11 minutes ago, Matt said:

Better to pay a bit more than incur a cancellation fee, right?

I'm beginning to wonder if that is actually true, Matt.  The truth is, the most it's going to cost me is $200 and then I have a limited time to rebook using the rest of the deposit but for those of us who cruise often, rebooking another cruise doesn't really seem to be a problem !

B/c I am so loathe to book a non-refundable deposit cruise, I booked a refundable JS on the March 2019 Panama Canal crossing on Jewel.  What I really want is a GS.  Now, all GS are gone and I am left holding a reservation for a JS that I don't really want with no immediate path forward to getting the GS that I want.  If and when a GS opens up down the road, it is undoubtedly going to be more than $200 more expensive than what it was when I first booked the refundable JS.  I'm kind of kicking myself for booking the refundable JS now.

I really really REALLY HATE this NRD on suites but I'm beginning to think I would be better of just sucking up the $200 deposit ransom and getting what I want in the fist place.

Just now, WAAAYTOOO said:

If and when a GS opens up down the road, it is undoubtedly going to be more than $200 more expensive than what it was when I first booked the refundable JS. 

You have a good point there.  I think key is you have to be okay with the cancellation fee if you want to change.  I think bigger issue is when you aren't sure that sailing will work or not, rather than the room.  

1 minute ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I really really REALLY HATE this NRD on suites

No doubt it's a pain, but the reality was suites were being gamed too much under the old system.  People were treating suites like numbers on a roulette board. :42_confused:

Oh man you guys.  You got out of my element here.  I"m a newbie. 

But I pay more for a refundable deposit.  I don't get OBC.   My friends are traveling from Europe and are already booked.   So I feel like the odds of canceling are small.  And I guess worse case I could not cancel and lost $500 but pay to change the cruise date entirely and lose $200?  Is that right?  From what I see the reason for refundable is so that you can cancel before final payment for a non-covered reason.  If I cancel after final payment I get penalized and I better have insurance. Is that correct? 

WAAAYTOOO - why are you loathe to book NRD?   

2 minutes ago, hoofbeats95 said:

Oh man you guys.  You got out of my element here.

Call Allianz, I just got off the phone with Mike at EXT 28474.  They DO cover the Non-Refundable deposit up to a certain point depending on the policy you take. I am leaning toward a per trip versus an annual (I have 3 cruises booked in the next year), I am paying basically the same through the cruiseline which doesn't cover it unless you want future cruise credit and they cover the ENTIRE amount of trip. costs more but it's worth it to me. 

37 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I'm beginning to wonder if that is actually true, Matt.  The truth is, the most it's going to cost me is $200 and then I have a limited time to rebook using the rest of the deposit but for those of us who cruise often, rebooking another cruise doesn't really seem to be a problem !

B/c I am so loathe to book a non-refundable deposit cruise, I booked a refundable JS on the March 2019 Panama Canal crossing on Jewel.  What I really want is a GS.  Now, all GS are gone and I am left holding a reservation for a JS that I don't really want with no immediate path forward to getting the GS that I want.  If and when a GS opens up down the road, it is undoubtedly going to be more than $200 more expensive than what it was when I first booked the refundable JS.  I'm kind of kicking myself for booking the refundable JS now.

I really really REALLY HATE this NRD on suites but I'm beginning to think I would be better of just sucking up the $200 deposit ransom and getting what I want in the fist place.

I agree with @WAAAYTOOO completely on this one.  I have yet to book a refundable one through RC.  I would much rather take my chances with the $100pp cancellation fee because with a family of 4 (or even 2 when it's just hubby and I), the cost to change it from refundable to non-refundable down the road is way over $200 or $400 that I would have saved by avoiding the change fee.

Just recently I learned that you can lock in the addition passenger rate by booking only 3 people so from now on, that's my strategy.  Any sailings too far out, I book only 3 of us and add the 4th later, then at least I would only be out $300.  But I usually don't book unless I plan to sail anyway.  It's only if something unexpected comes up.

12 minutes ago, hoofbeats95 said:

WAAAYTOOO - why are you loathe to book NRD?   

I like to be able to book a cruise but then have the ability to cancel if I need to !  I only book non-refundable when I KNOW for sure that I am going on the cruise.  But with suites, if you don't get them early, they will all be gone so it's truly a conundrum.  Insurance, if it will apply to NRD, seems like the way to go OR just be prepared to lose $200 and be ok with it !

5 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I like to be able to book a cruise but then have the ability to cancel if I need to !  I only book non-refundable when I KNOW for sure that I am going on the cruise.  But with suites, if you don't get them early, they will all be gone so it's truly a conundrum.  Insurance, if it will apply to NRD, seems like the way to go OR just be prepared to lose $200 and be ok with it !

What is the $200?  That's the change fee right? Do you have to pay the change fee on the refundable deposit?  I feel like there is something I"m missing? 

I thought if I cancel before final payment and I have non-refundable, then I'm out $500.  IF I have refundable then I'm out nothing.   Is that correct? 

I didn't think you could change from refundable to non-refundable.  How does that work?  When can you do that?  That has a fee?  All the fees you guys mention are confusing me. 

2 minutes ago, hoofbeats95 said:

What is the $200?  That's the change fee right? Do you have to pay the change fee on the refundable deposit?  I feel like there is something I"m missing? 

I thought if I cancel before final payment and I have non-refundable, then I'm out $500.  IF I have refundable then I'm out nothing.   Is that correct? 

I didn't think you could change from refundable to non-refundable.  How does that work?  When can you do that?  That has a fee?  All the fees you guys mention are confusing me. 

The $200 is acutally $100pp (for @WAAAYTOOO and her husband).  There is no change fee on the refundable deposit.  That's what makes it appealing.

If you have NRD and cancel before final payment, then you are completely out $100pp and the remainder of that you will get back in the form of a Future Cruise credit that you can use within one year.  It expires.  If you have a refundable deposit and cancel prior to final payment, you are out nothing.

Some people book a refundable (to hold the spot) and then later when they are more sure of dates, etc. they change it to NRD to get the lower rate.  This sometimes backfires as the price has usually gone way up by then, or as @WAAAYTOOO and I have experienced, the room you actually want is gone.

17 minutes ago, hoofbeats95 said:

Is that what you meant by "up to a certain point"? If not what do you mean? 

The annual costs $249.00 Per Person. Covers trips for one year. The trip cancellation coverage with that policy is $2,000 PP ($4,000 Total). If you use all or a portion of that amount, and you cancel but have more trips planned, You've used the total for the year. If you only have one trip booked I would take out an individual policy just for that trip. The individual is based on AGE too, so you would have to call and get a quote. If you want coverage just for one trip as you aren't taking any others, I would do that. All insurance for cancellation is for a covered reason for the most part.