Table for Two Request

MKSglitz

I'm hoping someone will have an answer.  I am Diamond Plus.  For the past three cruises I have requested a table for two in the Main Dining Room.  Every time that I have contacted RCCL during the upcoming year before the cruises with other business questions, I asked them to check to make sure that we are down for a table for two.  Every answer received was "yes".  Upon boarding the ships  we always stop at the Main Dining Room to check out our table.  The host has yet to tell us that we have the table for two.  We have been seated  at a table for  SIX each time every time!  Of course the situation is remedied the next day, but that is not the point. Someone once told me to contact the C&A Society directly  a week before boarding to be reassured of our request.  Did that, and it still didn't work.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how or to whom I should speak with to avoid this repeated hassle? 

It could be something to do with the system. They most likely are only putting a note that may get missed. If you are doing My Time Dining then it would be easier to get a table for 2 as they would have more available. If you are wanting it so you have the same waiter you can ask to have the same waiter each time. I would assume the table for 2 in the traditional dining room will be assigned on a first come first serve basis. 

On 3/24/2018 at 11:31 AM, MKSglitz said:

I'm hoping someone will have an answer.  I am Diamond Plus.  For the past three cruises I have requested a table for two in the Main Dining Room.  Every time that I have contacted RCCL during the upcoming year before the cruises with other business questions, I asked them to check to make sure that we are down for a table for two.  Every answer received was "yes".  Upon boarding the ships  we always stop at the Main Dining Room to check out our table.  The host has yet to tell us that we have the table for two.  We have been seated  at a table for  SIX each time every time!  Of course the situation is remedied the next day, but that is not the point. Someone once told me to contact the C&A Society directly  a week before boarding to be reassured of our request.  Did that, and it still didn't work.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how or to whom I should speak with to avoid this repeated hassle? 

My husband and I always request a table for 2 when booking.  I book really early (usually 1-1/2 to 2 years out).  We always went to the main dining room upon embarkation to confirm that we had a table for 2.  Sometimes we got one and sometimes we didn't.  They have always been able to move us to one, even if it takes a little persuasion.  Some ships do have more two tops than other ships.  You can also send an email to rcldining@rccl.com about 2-3 weeks before sailing to ask for confirmation of your table for 2.  I do this now for all our cruises.  It makes it easier than waiting until you board.  Provide them with your ship, sail date and reservation number in the email.  I would also include that you are Diamond Plus.  

On 3/24/2018 at 12:25 PM, LetsTryThisPlace said:

It could be something to do with the system. They most likely are only putting a note that may get missed. If you are doing My Time Dining then it would be easier to get a table for 2 as they would have more available. If you are wanting it so you have the same waiter you can ask to have the same waiter each time. I would assume the table for 2 in the traditional dining room will be assigned on a first come first serve basis. 

7 hours ago, mbk999 said:

We did MTD, made reservations before hand, and got the table for two by the window with the same wait staff throughout.  

newbie here so just making sure--So are you saying that is easier to get a 2 person table if you do MTD? (looking for Ovation)

Overall, what I am getting is:

• email rcldining@rccl.com 2-3 weeks before and confirm
  • call ahead of cruise and confirm
  • go to main dining room as soon as you board and confirm

What if you are just a lonely newbie that just signed up for C&A? Do you still get the perks of requesting  a 2 person table?

22 minutes ago, Aeroman380 said:

newbie here so just making sure--So are you saying that is easier to get a 2 person table if you do MTD? (looking for Ovation)

What if you are just a lonely newbie that just signed up for C&A? Do you still get the perks of requesting  a 2 person table?

Welcome to the boards! Yes, do everything listed above and it should be ok. They will always try their best to accommodate you. We have always asked to sit alone (even when we were newbies) and that request has always been met.

13 hours ago, Aeroman380 said:

MTD is much easier but it can be done in the Set Time Dining as well. There is not much difference and honestly, I prefer MTD because ports are never the same so my eating schedules are never the same. For example, we had one port arrival at 9 and leave around 6 so plenty of time for a late lunch get back and a late dinner then we had another day 7am arrival and 2pm departure so I had a VERY early breakfast and would then want an early dinner. So it really depends on your preference but they can both be the same, it's just how you play it.

A word of caution about tables for 2.

The vast majority of tables for 2 are in areas where they have shoved a bunch of 2 top tables so close together that you might as well be sitting with the 4 people that are on either side of you.  If you REALLY want a private table (which is pretty hard to come by, really), be sure that you tell them that you do NOT want to be sitting with tables all around you.  Tell them that you want a PRIVATE table. There are a few.  They are usually along the back wall.  You will still have tables behind and in front of you but at least they won't be sitting 4 inches on either side of you where it's impossible to have a private conversation.

24 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

A word of caution about tables for 2.

The vast majority of tables for 2 are in areas where they have shoved a bunch of 2 top tables so close together that you might as well be sitting with the 4 people that are on either side of you.  If you REALLY want a private table (which is pretty hard to come by, really), be sure that you tell them that you do NOT want to be sitting with tables all around you.  Tell them that you want a PRIVATE table. There are a few.  They are usually along the back wall.  You will still have tables behind and in front of you but at least they won't be sitting 4 inches on either side of you where it's impossible to have a private conversation.

To that point, regardless of what they assign you, you can go to MDR on embarkation day and have your assignment changed after speaking to head waiter on duty.

Always a good idea to scope out your table assignment, if for no other reason than to check out the MDR!

19 hours ago, Aeroman380 said:

FYI, I e-mailed rcldining@rccl.com several months ago for a May sailing. Not only did I request a table for 2, but I requested a specific table number. We had sailed that ship last year and loved the location. I know they may change the configuration, but gave them the last reservation also.  They responded immediately saying that I should resubmit the request when down to 50 days or less. I did resubmit on Saturday (2 days ago) and today I received a reply with a copy of the confirmation from the ship to corporate. Could not have asked for better or faster customer service. Of course, we will still go to MDR upon embarkation to reconfirm.

• 2 months later...

I emailed RCL Dining a week and a half before cruise with MTD, they stated I will have to contact hostess once on board and they will try to accommodate. I hope so because this is the first RC cruise I have been on, and both Norwegian and Carnival I never had a problem getting a table for 2. Also never had to wait or pre-book on the other cruise lines either. I don't mind sitting with others as I love to meet new people, but my hubby likes it more private. His job requires speaking and talking to new people everyday, so on vacation he needs a break.

1 hour ago, darxandra said:

I emailed RCL Dining a week and a half before cruise with MTD, they stated I will have to contact hostess once on board and they will try to accommodate. I hope so because this is the first RC cruise I have been on, and both Norwegian and Carnival I never had a problem getting a table for 2. Also never had to wait or pre-book on the other cruise lines either. I don't mind sitting with others as I love to meet new people, but my hubby likes it more private. His job requires speaking and talking to new people everyday, so on vacation he needs a break.

You won't have any problem getting a private table.  You just need to ask the hostess but I would definitely recommend doing it first thing so that you get a table you're happy with.  They will do everything they can to accommodate you.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never had a problem getting my table request met except on majesty I am a private person when I travel due to my work before retirement on my first cruise with royal I was seated with some extremely obnoxious drunks twice during my cruise so I prefer to enjoy my dinner alone when traveling without family taking in the surrounding beauty on majesty I ran into a horrible head waiter or whatever the suit at the door is called I requested a table by myself he acted like I was pulling his teeth asking me why I don't want to meet new people and a bunch of personal none of your business questions I looked at him and asked so your not going to honor my request? he squirmed and said go wait over there half hour later he said we have you a table the waiter walked me in and twice around the dining room back to the door saying he could not find my single the head waiter threw his hands up and took me to my table it was a table right next to a 6 top with not the width of a hand between and I had the joy of basically sitting across from a nose blowing scowling older gent who stared at me through my entire meal this is when I found that for the most part the menu is the same in the very peaceful dinner seating in the windjammer I requested an appetizer of escargot which was brought out immediately my point being if you cant get what you request look at all your options some will surprise you what a great cruise I had after this easily fixed problem there are many personalities working on the ship 99.9 percent are wonderful then there are these avoid them and sail on to happiness oh by the way we did get run back to port a day early by a hurricane but still had a great time   

• 1 year later...
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:01 PM, Aeroman380 said:

If you are signed up for My Time Dining you should be able to go into your Cruise Planner and make reservations in advance for 2. I have never been seated with other people in My Time Dining. If you grow to really like a waiter or a table location then you can request that location for your upcoming reservations you have already made through Cruise Planner. If you are signed up for MDR traditional seating times then doing everything above is necessary to assure you get your table for 2 during your assigned time instead of being seated with a larger table or strangers as was traditionally done.

On 8/8/2019 at 10:25 AM, MotleyCruiser said:

just received our confirmation on request!! 

Capture.JPG

That's wonderful.  How did you get the confirmation?  Via email? 

On 3/26/2018 at 12:58 PM, Matt said:

To that point, regardless of what they assign you, you can go to MDR on embarkation day and have your assignment changed after speaking to head waiter on duty.

Always a good idea to scope out your table assignment, if for no other reason than to check out the MDR!

Can you advise what time on embarkation day the MDR is open to speak with the head waiter?

Thank you!

25 minutes ago, raahc said:

Can you advise what time on embarkation day the MDR is open to speak with the head waiter?

In my experience, it's usually in the afternoon after 1pm or so. You can stop in earlier than that and ask. In some cases, it's even listed in the Cruise Compass.

46 minutes ago, raahc said:

That's wonderful.  How did you get the confirmation?  Via email? 

yes, I used the email address mentioned vvvvvv above. They in turn emailed the Enchantment of the Seas.

1 minute ago, MotleyCruiser said:

yes, I used the email address above. They in turn emailed the Enchantment of the Seas.

Thank you for clarifying.  I saw the address on the "to" field and it was an RCI employee, but figured you deleted your own info for privacy (of course)!

How long did it take for you to receive a response?

One of the first things we do when we board is to go the main dining room and request our table number and confirm or make changes to table. We have never had a problem with getting a table for two by going in person to MDR upon boarding. This time I am going to request a table for 5 alone, if possible. We have three kids, and while they have traveled enough and are well behaved, we are not wanting the glare of people that would prefer to sit alone stuck at our table with our family. 

• 3 years later...