Changing names

Lovetocruise2002

Ironically, my name here is the same as my handle on Periscope, which uses my Twitter handle, which existed WAAAY before I found this site and joined. So I'm kind of stuck with a less than ideal "bot" name.

Also ironically (I'd use another word, but it apparently has no synonyms :29_smirk:), while I'm normally pretty paranoid about my internet security, my user name is probably the one area where I've been the least concerned. Maybe because on social media sites in particular, my name is truly mine and I don't want someone squatting on it or using it to troll.

Edited by JLMoran
Edited because I discovered I over-like the word "ironically" :P

25 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I see you now have the blogname from that "pther" site.  I need to make mine the same too but that other site won't let me change mine !

I'm not very creative so I just decided to keep it consistent. Hubby wanted me to change it to "She-Bot" but I thought that might be too much ?

1 minute ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I'm not very creative so I just decided to keep it consistent. Hubby wanted me to change it to "She-Bot" but I thought that might be too much ?

OMG that is so cute !

Joe, I am right there with ya.  I joined CC MANY years ago and used the absolutely WORST username RFerrington.  What a ditz !  ...now I'm stuck with it.  By the time I joined this site I knew better. Oh well....I don't post that much to that other site anyway.  I'm mostly a lurker there b/c I really dislike so much of the negative and snarky posting that they get over there.  Thank goodness we're more civil over here !!

I also figure, you have to look at Matt -- he's a lot more famous than us in internet terms, throws his name out there with absolutely no concerns whatsoever, tells people regularly what city he lives in, and broadcasts when he's away on cruises with his family. After however many years of doing that with no burglaries and no identity theft, I figure that with the precautions I take of just giving a general geographic area for where I live, keeping the other personal deets to a minimum... do I really need to worry that much?

I'm huge on not having my name fully out there. There are some very strange people. I've been "found" online when using my full name on sites and harassed. Very long and super creepy story short - I have a physical disability (that means nothing in my daily life) and there is a fetish associated with it that took me until I was 33 to find out about THANKS INTERNETS.  Someone saw a picture and my name and him and his girlfriend found me on multiple social media sites. Plus I work in the entertainment business and my name used to be in the credits of a few shows. I go in and check every year to see what loveliness google pulls up and delete what I can.

While my story is a more than a little crazy and over the top I just like a little privacy. I think it's better you changed your name.

15 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I don't really exist anywhere other than cruise social media forums but you still never know. I'm just paranoid lol.

At least you don't live in the US and have every bit of your personal identifying data held by a credit bureau that got hacked, covered up the hack, then denied the scope of the hack when it came to light, and only recently revealed that pretty much every living adult in the US had their social security number, name, date of birth, last residence address, and more stolen. And then let the executives overseeing things when the hack happened on their shift leave the company with their golden parachutes intact, and no criminal proceedings launched against them.

After that, I really have no F's left to give about putting my last name in my internet account! :33_unamused:

12 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

At least you don't live in the US and have every bit of your personal identifying data held by a credit bureau that got hacked, covered up the hack, then denied the scope of the hack when it came to light, and only recently revealed that pretty much every living adult in the US had their social security number, name, date of birth, last residence address, and more stolen. And then let the executives overseeing things when the hack happened on their shift leave the company with their golden parachutes intact, and no criminal proceedings launched against them.

After that, I really have no F's left to give about putting my last name in my internet account! :33_unamused:

We've had our share of hacking here too in Canada.  But that is a whole other story ?

Firstly, how the heck do you change your name? I need to change mine to the right one, not sure why I used my tech name, not my travel name (its the same just place instead of tech). Which also goes pairs to my blog and now most other sites. I wish FB was better about being private as everywhere you go there everyone has your name. I'm sure it's not hard to put 2 and 2 together to who I am. I mean how many people named Josh talk about cruising in Cayman. :4_joy:

4 minutes ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

Firstly, how the heck do you change your name? I need to change mine to the right one, not sure why I used my tech name, not my travel name (its the same just place instead of tech). Which also goes pairs to my blog and now most other sites. I wish FB was better about being private as everywhere you go there everyone has your name. I'm sure it's not hard to put 2 and 2 together to who I am. I mean how many people named Josh talk about cruising in Cayman. :4_joy:

Go to "account settings" and go under "display name".  You can change it there.

FB can be private...ask the bot...lol...I'm there too but you'll have to look pretty hard and be pretty observant 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I go on vacation and come back to see this "new" person @Lovetocruise2002 and wondering what happened to Sabrina! :5_smiley:

Well, they do say cruising changes you in deep and fundamental ways. :10_wink:

I better watch out, might come back from this cruise and find myself renamed to @MorBot!

27 minutes ago, HLWIser said:

Yikes! I work for a Defense Contractor and have no problem putting my name out on social media/ forums. Maybe I should..

Like I said earlier, Matt has been putting his name and home town out there for years now and nothing bad has happened to him. I do believe in a certain degree of... not paranoia, more like sane caution, combined with pragmatism. In my case, the pragmatist has to accept that I’ve been using this user name in various forums since I was a member of The Motley Fool back in 1998. It’s out there, so why sweat it?

59 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Like I said earlier, Matt has been putting his name and home town out there for years now and nothing bad has happened to him. I do believe in a certain degree of... not paranoia, more like sane caution, combined with pragmatism. In my case, the pragmatist has to accept that I’ve been using this user name in various forums since I was a member of The Motley Fool back in 1998. It’s out there, so why sweat it?

I agree, I think I'm just a tad paranoid.  lol

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/23/2018 at 9:26 AM, JLMoran said:

I also figure, you have to look at Matt -- he's a lot more famous than us in internet terms, throws his name out there with absolutely no concerns whatsoever, tells people regularly what city he lives in, and broadcasts when he's away on cruises with his family. After however many years of doing that with no burglaries and no identity theft, I figure that with the precautions I take of just giving a general geographic area for where I live, keeping the other personal deets to a minimum... do I really need to worry that much?

I was thinking the same thing about @Matt, he's a brave soul, lol.

On 3/23/2018 at 9:26 AM, JLMoran said:

There's risk with anything you do, but I believe sharing your name and where you live is quite unrisky.  There's far more personal info about you floating around.

I'll share one story...last Halloween I volunteered to give out candy (while my wife went trick or treating with the kids).  One family came by the house and said "Trick or treat...love the blog!"  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2018 at 6:30 AM, Matt said:

There's risk with anything you do, but I believe sharing your name and where you live is quite unrisky.  There's far more personal info about you floating around.

I'll share one story...last Halloween I volunteered to give out candy (while my wife went trick or treating with the kids).  One family came by the house and said "Trick or treat...love the blog!"  

That explains all of the moves. ?

You'd make a horrible fugitive. ?