Balcony to junior suit

Cory G

Which ship is this for? And is this is a free upgrade, or paid? And if paid, how long is your trip? Depending on the answers to those questions, that drives a lot of what makes an upgrade "worth it".

On all but the Oasis Class and Quantum class ships, the only real benefit to a JS room (apart from the appreciably larger living space and balcony) is that you get double Crown & Anchor points, plus priority boarding ahead of other passengers. On the Oasis and Quantum, you also get access to the Coastal Kitchen restaurant for dinner; a lot of the people here really like Coastal Kitchen and consider it a great perk with a JS room.

If this is a free upgrade you're being offered, regardless of the ship, I'd say take it so you get that better living space and balcony space. If it's a paid upgrade -- well, look at the ship and what you'll get with the upgrade on that ship, and decide if the extra cost is worth it to you. Generally, for typical 6-8 night cruises you don't want to pay more than a few hundred dollars to upgrade, maybe $500 tops. Certainly $1,000 or more is far too much.

You can read this article from Matt to learn more about the perks of Junior Suites.

14 minutes ago, Cory G said:

I just got a email from royal to if we would like to upgrade rooms.  I trying to figure out if the upgrade is really worth the money. 

For me this depends on many things.  How much is the upgrade? Which ship?  Do I get to select the JS or is Royal selecting for me?  I book really early and always select my cabins.  With that said, the extra space in a JS is always nice, so are the double points.

1 hour ago, Dawn T. said:

For me this depends on many things.  How much is the upgrade? Which ship?  Do I get to select the JS or is Royal selecting for me?  I book really early and always select my cabins.  With that said, the extra space in a JS is always nice, so are the double points.

The extra space in a Junior is worth it to me, plus you should get the Coastal Kitchen for Dinners only in a Junior, there will be other minimal Suite perks for Junior also.

1 hour ago, KLAconQueso said:

For $500 on an Anthem sailing, the extra space, double points, and CK access would all be a huge plus for me. I'd do it. 

Second that.  $500 on Anthem is a no brainer for all the reasons already stated above. 

And one more on top of that is on Anthem, depending on which JS you get, some of them have 1 1/2 baths, which is a nice perk too.

Guest toodle68

Things to be aware..  $500 total, or for each person.

Also, check the double points. When this happened to us the first time, we were told since it was a 'cheap' upgrade it was not double points. We complained and got them, but need to check.

D'oh! I didn't see the OP's last sentence that they are on Anthem!

What I said earlier still applies, of course, but man do I feel sheepish asking "What ship are you on"! And I totally agree with @KLAconQueso and @Sabrinaklai that if you can get that JS or $500 or less, it's a great upgrade.

I had better agree -- it's exactly what I did when I caught a price drop and upgraded my own balcony to a JS for that price! (one of the ones @Sabrinaklai mentioned, with 1 1/2 baths).

13 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

What I said earlier still applies, of course, but man do I feel sheepish asking "What ship are you on"! And I totally agree with @KLAconQueso and @Sabrinaklai that if you can get that JS or $500 or less, it's a great upgrade.

I had better agree -- it's exactly what I did when I caught a price drop and upgraded my own balcony to a JS for that price! (one of the ones @Sabrinaklai mentioned, with 1 1/2 baths).

I didn't see it the first read through either.  Maybe an edit?

28 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

OP changed his post to include the $500 on Anthem.  I quoted his original post in my reply above.  To @Cory G, for a $500 increase on Anthem, I say absolutely do it, even though I haven't sailed on Anthem yet. :10_wink:   To me, the extra space, double points and dinner access to Coastal Kitchen would be totally worth the bump in price.

6 minutes ago, Cory G said:

We got an email to be put on an upgrade wait list.  It said they will call you if one becomes available and you have to decide then.

Interesting. I wonder, if the higher suites don't sell out will I see a similar email offer when my October Anthem cruise gets closer since I'm officially booked in a Jr. Suite and not on a wait list. I highly doubt it, but would be interesting if it did.

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Interesting. I wonder, if the higher suites don't sell out will I see a similar email offer when my October Anthem cruise gets closer since I'm officially booked in a Jr. Suite and not on a wait list. I highly doubt it, but would be interesting if it did.

Who knows.  It seems to be a new process for them.  I have never been notified this way but that certainly means nothing !  I hope that you will be contacted and then upgraded !!

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

5 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Who knows.  It seems to be a new process for them.  I have never been notified this way but that certainly means nothing !  I hope that you will be contacted and then upgraded !!

This most definitely must be a new process because up until 2 weeks prior to sailing Anthem last week, I called multiple times and asked to be put on a waiting list for upgrades and was told there is no such thing.  Anyway, that being said, the process to upgrade is fairly systematic from what I have learned in the past.  Here's what has been explained to me by multiple RC Crown and Anchor reps through the years.  And they all have the same message so I think this might be correct...

When offering upgrades/upsells, they will always start with the highest priced cabins and look for the least difference in upgrades.  So I'll use Anthem for example:

If they have a RLS available, they will always go to the people booked in the OLS or GLS first.  This then frees those up and then will move to fill those with the ones below it and so on.  

How they decide who to call and offer it to is based on C&A levels. Based on @twangster tallies on his live blogs from Top Tier events, it seems like there many Diamond/Diamond plus people these days on each sailing.  For myself, sitting still at Emerald, I will not hold my breath for any upgrades/upsells.

13 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

This most definitely must be a new process because up until 2 weeks prior to sailing Anthem last week, I called multiple times and asked to be put on a waiting list for upgrades and was told there is no such thing. 

I can concur with this, I was told the same thing last year.