Looks like Silversea took a page out of Royal's playbook

Although Royal only did it once and I believe said it was too costly an under taking to do on any other ships after they completed it  on Enchantment.

But looks like at least one other cruise company is going to give it a try....but wasn't the Enchantment one bigger?

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/03/21/silversea-luxury-cruise-ship-cut-in-half-for-massive-49-foot-expansion.html

Enchantment got a 74-ft extension.  I think the cost effectiveness issue relates to both the size of the ship and the company's overall fleet.  Royal actually did this with their first two ships as well back in the late 70s, but those ships were a third the size of Enchantment, and for the company at the time, it was probably a cheaper and more manageable step to take to increasing capacity than splurging for a whole new boat or two.  By 2005, though, they're operating a much larger fleet of much larger ships, and with the massive steps they were taking then, with Freedom well under way and Oasis probably already in the works, the Enchantment project probably proved too big a cost for too small a gain.

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

Enchantment went way over budget and it left a very sour taste for stretching retrofits in Royal's mouth.  

Yeah, wasn't it originally the plan for more of the Vision class and then after that it turned in to "LOL JK NO"?

2 hours ago, tiny260 said:

NCL did this to 2 of their ships back in the mid 90's not sure of the size...

Yup.  The Windward and the Dreamward, sister ships, were actually designed in a way that made their lengthening easier.  In 1998 they were both lengthened from 623 feet long to 754 feet long, bringing their GRT from 39k to 51.3k GT.  Others have done it as well, though I'm not sure who the first was.  It's also worth noting that several ships have been built in two pieces so that construction can begin simultaneously at two different shipyards.  One section is then floated to the other and they're attached.

18 minutes ago, monorailmedic said:

Yup.  The Windward and the Dreamward, sister ships, were actually designed in a way that made their lengthening easier.  In 1998 they were both lengthened from 623 feet long to 754 feet long, bringing their GRT from 39k to 51.3k GT.  Others have done it as well, though I'm not sure who the first was.  It's also worth noting that several ships have been built in two pieces so that construction can begin simultaneously at two different shipyards.  One section is then floated to the other and they're attached.

I was on the Windward before she was done and then after, I thought those ship were huge, but now compared to most of Royals fleet...

20 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

I was on the Windward before she was done and then after, I thought those ship were huge, but now compared to most of Royals fleet...

Everything is relative.  I never sailed Windward, but did sail the Southward and Seaward as a kid (to name just a few NCL ships).  Seaward was 16.7k GT, and while I love what so many modern ships have to offer - including ceilings that are greater than 7 feet, and bathrooms which are usable (people complaining about today's ship bathrooms can't imagine) - I do love the classic look and smaller vessels.  

On 3/21/2018 at 4:23 PM, twangster said:

Enchantment went way over budget and it left a very sour taste for stretching retrofits in Royal's mouth.  

I think in general RC found it cost prohibitive to continue stretching.