Should I just book?

Hi Guys

Like everybody I really want to book our next cruise! Only thing is we have a lot of personal obstacles which will mean we may not be able to go.

So, should I just book anyway? What are the limitations to changing the booking later and how soon before the cruise can I change it without penalties?

Also, we don't know if both our children will be able to cruise with us, if it's only one of them she will share a cabin with us. What would happen to the booking for the second cabin? Can we simply alter the booking so she's in our cabin or will we loose the deposit made on the second cabin?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Luke

Book. Keep your options open if you don't get hit with a cancellation fee. Plus, you might be securing a lower fare by booking now rather than later.

I currently have three vacations planned for next January and it largely depends on whether my nieces can go with us or not. However, I knew if I waited, there likely wouldn't be any options available.

You can cancel anytime up to when the final payment is due without any loss of your deposit.  I don't know if the current never ending BOGOHO sale has reduced deposit but I booked a 4 day back in December that did which makes it even less painful.

Edit to add:  The advantage is you can lock in the current rate/promotion and if a better deal comes along before final payment you can get it.

So, should I just book anyway? What are the limitations to changing the booking later and how soon before the cruise can I change it without penalties?

Also, we don't know if both our children will be able to cruise with us, if it's only one of them she will share a cabin with us. What would happen to the booking for the second cabin? Can we simply alter the booking so she's in our cabin or will we loose the deposit made on the second cabin?

Final payment is due 75 days before a 7-night cruise (60 for 3-5 night cruises).  So you have up to that point to cancel any deposit you make.  You can change or cancel without penalty.  Heck, you can keep the deposit and change it to a different cruise in the future and keep doing that until you are ready to really book something.  Just be sure to watch that final payment date.

By not booking at that time, you risk the price increasing and/or inventory of the stateroom you want being taken.  In general, you have nothing to lose by putting a deposit down and seeing where you are at final payment date other than the deposit amount in the short term.

In terms of your kids, book the maximum possibility and then before final payment, adjust as necessary. It's easy enough to remove people from a reservation but adding them back in is much more difficult.

The only exception I should note is if your country of residence has different rules for deposits compared to the US.  For example, as Matt stated, you can cancel without penalty up to 75-90 days before the cruise and still get your deposit back.  However, in some countries, the terms are different and thus the deposit is non-refundable, so double-check the terms first.  Carnival Cruise Line is also a tricky exception to the general rule as they offer fares where the deposit is not refundable, although it is transferable, which differs from other lines, so you need to be careful if ever booking on another line.