Marseilles Tours or cruise port

rori

I do not see any RCCL cruise excursions of interest in the Marseilles port. Does anyone know if the cruise port has anything of interest to walk around, each lunch etc.  Looking for suggestions at this port.  We did have a biking tour booked but it was cancelled. - TIA

Most of the Ports in the Itinerary that we followed on Harmony in 2016 are/were industrial ports, there is nothing to do, we took a bus to the main part of town of Marseilles (Old Port), I believe Royal provided the bus for no charge, but I'm not positive, we were on a mission, my wife wanted to visit a Louie Vuitton store (In France), the day we visited France was having a lobar strike walk out in Marseilles, so it wasn't real fun to be there.

We saw a lot of really great stuff while we were in Town, but after we got back to the ship and talked with friends, we probably should have taken a tour to either Aix-en-Provence or Cassis, but hind site is always 20/20, at least my wife had a new Louie bag to show off...

I just cruised out of Marseille in January. They have a nice cruise terminal, but you will need to take a taxi or shuttle as @tiny260 stated. I believe it's around 14 Euros roundtrip if memory serves. 

The Old Port is definitely the place to go unless you want to go to the Lavender fields. If Castle is also worth visiting and there are a number of museums.

You are thinking there might be a town in the south of France that is uninteresting, boring, or otherwise "meh"??? You think that may describe Marseilles? Boy are you in for a big surprise!

If you chose to do nothing else, do yourself a favor and have lunch in downtown Marseilles; aim for the Ferris Wheel. There are seemingly 100 outdoor cafes there, the water is right across the street.

We chose the Aix-en-Provence/Cassis/Marseilles excursion when we were there in '14. It was wonderful! We were allowed lunch on our own in Marseilles. Susie and I would enjoy taking that same excursion again and most likely will. But the best part of our day was lunch and specifically the dessert. Let me explain...

Our bus dropped us off and gave us a two hour window. Two hours was not quite enough although we made it back in time (lunch in France may well take 2 hours, so leave time). Like I said there are many restaurants  and there was no visual telling that one may be better than another; so I went with my go to: which one is the most ridiculous? We chose a place called Hippopotamus. We dined out side in the french sunshine. Enjoyed bottle of wine. Had our entrees (these things are served leisurely) and decided to have dessert probably because it was very much like eating in the MDR; we chose profiteroles. It took a while and I was seriously beginning to wonder and was trying to remember words from my high school French class to ask Did you forget about us? When our server brought our dessert, it was enough for four people--it was also made entirely from scratch--everything!--ice cream included. Heaven-on-earth! That one dessert put Hippo on my list of my favorite 10 restaurants of all time.

Don't short Marseilles, there are reasons ships on European itineraries stop at the places they do, that's because they are good; real good. I can recommend the excursion we went on; but if you do nothing else, do yourself a favor and have lunch in Marseilles. Bon Appetite!

IMG_3741.jpg

3 hours ago, bobroo said:

You are thinking there might be a town in the south of France that is uninteresting, boring, or otherwise "meh"??? You think that may describe Marseilles? Boy are you in for a big surprise!

I agree, did not want to slight the city, if you study the history of the city and how it ties in, it is absolutely amazing, it's just when I was there they were having transit strike's and protest and it was a little hard to relax, really enjoyed the food though.

On 3/20/2018 at 2:30 PM, rori said:

I do not see any RCCL cruise excursions of interest in the Marseilles port. Does anyone know if the cruise port has anything of interest to walk around, each lunch etc.  Looking for suggestions at this port.  We did have a biking tour booked but it was cancelled. - TIA

Depending on when you are traveling, the areas of Provence are beautiful. The Luberon region is one of my favorites.