Freedom or Allure?

Hi @carrieheitz, welcome to the RCBlog forums!

Wow, this is a question sure to elicit a variety of responses! :12_slight_smile: I think it might help all here if you let us know a few things, just so we can focus our answers to what's most helpful to you.

• Have you cruised before, or is this your first time?
  • If you've cruised before, has it been with Royal or another cruise line?
  • Also if you've cruised before, what size ships did you sail and how much did you like them?
  • What's more important to you -- the itinerary and ports you'll visit, or the things to do on the ship?

There are folks here who swear by the massive Oasis-class ships like Allure of the Seas, with all of the activities and things they have to offer on board. Others here feel those ships can be overwhelming, especially to a new cruiser, and recommend smaller ships to start with before diving into the world of Oasis class.

Myself, I'm taking my first ever cruise in 12 days on Freedom of the Seas, having chosen that over Harmony and Allure because I felt Freedom had the better itinerary (more days and more ports). But I'm definitely someone who feels the itinerary is the important part and the ship is not as critical (although I certainly want to be on a ship that I feel will be enjoyable to sail aboard).

Keep in mind that Freedom OTS will be based in San Juan, Puerto Rico.  Flights flying to/from SJU will cost more compared to flying to/from FL.

Freedom OTS will be visiting ports that Allure OTS does not visit as well. 

Allure OTS has restaurants, entertainment options and features that Freedom does not offer such as the AquaTheatre. 

@carrieheitz, I agree with @JLMoran.  It really depends on what type of cruiser you are, who you are cruising with, what are you looking for out of the cruise, does the itinerary play a huge role or is the ship the destination?

I've cruised the big and smaller ships (not Freedom class though) and I love Oasis class (which Allure is part of).  There is a really in-depth review of Allure by Jim Zimmerlin.  I don't think he's on this blog but his review will give you a good feel for Allure and if it's suited for you. 

http://www.jimzim.net/AllureOfTheSeas.html

And many here can answer your questions on either one of those ships.

@jurrjurr brings up a great point!  Flights to San Juan can be pricey!  And two of my favourite venues (Central Park and the Aqua theater) are only on Oasis class ships.

@twangster also did an in depth blog of Freedom which you can find here:

I've sailed both and loved both.  Allure is newer and larger.  Freedom is a bit smaller but can still have over 4,000 guests so not a small ship by any stretch.

More entertainment on Allure and better in my opinion but Freedom shows are good.

On Freedom you can visit the helipad anytime which I really like.

IF both ships were doing the exact same itinerary and cost was exactly the same I'd probably pick Allure but I wouldn't devastated if Allure was sold out and I could only pick Freedom.

Itinerary would likely play a big factor.

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

IF both ships were doing the exact same itinerary and cost was exactly the same I'd probably pick Allure but I wouldn't devastated if Allure was sold out and I could only pick Freedom.

While I have not been on the Allure (yet), I would agree.   One of the reasons we picked the Allure was to explore an Oasis class ship, we like more activity choices.   But I really liked the Freedom when we sailed on it so it's a great choice too.   As JLMoran mentioned, a choice in a cruise has a lot to do with personal preference:  ship, ports, days at sea, etc.   For us this time, trying an Oasis ship was the main thing.  But we picked the Eastern Caribbean since we haven't been to San Juan and loved St Maarten on a previous cruise.   While we need to give Cozumel another shot, just in my research, I have no interest in Falmouth so a Western run that stops there doesn't appeal to me much.   

But to your specific question, to me, if the cost difference was in the hundreds of dollars, I'd pick Allure.  A thousand or more, I'd probably go with Freedom.

45 minutes ago, twangster said:

I've sailed both and loved both.  Allure is newer and larger.  Freedom is a bit smaller but can still have over 4,000 guests so not a small ship by any stretch.

More entertainment on Allure and better in my opinion but Freedom shows are good.

On Freedom you can visit the helipad anytime which I really like.

I have Liberty (Sister of Freedom) scheduled in July, Freedom scheduled in October and Allure scheduled in January/2019 (3rd time on Allure, 5th time on an Oasis class).

Liberty was chosen because the port is drive-able form my home and I love this size of ship.

Freedom was chosen because of the Itinerary, time of year and flying to San Juan was not an issue

Allure was chosen because of the ship, I was able to get a "Star Class Suite", so for this cruise the ship is the destination.

As @twangster says, all things equal I will probably pick an Oasis class ship, because they are Bigger, newer and offer my choices, but that is my cruising style, you may not like big crowds and the first time on an Oasis class ship can be intimidating. if the stops mean nothing to you pick the ship, if the ship means nothing to you pick the itinerary (Stops).

hi welcome I have sailed on all three of the freedom class ships and find each to be very similar in design and available activities this is a great class of ships and never once have found me or my children bored there is always something going on while we have sailed on the oasis for me it was boring food was incredible I must say so many of the activities and are not something I am still able to enjoy the zip line was only open a couple of hours a day and it is so short it seems silly to even partake. with bigger ships comes bigger crowds and bigger lines and on my sailing were everywhere. During the daylight hours the central park area was extremely hard to navigate due to large group sailings posing for pictures and group pictures I wanted to go up to the Viking crown lounge to enjoy the view as I have done on all my cruises but found on these gigantic ships there is no Viking lounge in its place are more of the high end suites with access only by suite guests disembarking in ports was way to crowded one crew member said they are working on a new method in ports that sounds more like disembarking at the end of the cruise but you still have an awfully long wait in the tremendous heat when you want back on the ship in port I  know I am in the minority and many like the monster ships but my family and I prefer the Freedom class oasis seemed to be understaffed impersonal and just too crowded never felt on freedom liberty or indy this is just my opinion you must try both and see what you think even on the new years cruise of the liberty we never felt oversold 

2 hours ago, carrieheitz said:

I'm looking to book a cruise next year, and two that interest me are either on Freedom of the Seas, or Allure of the Seas. Allure is a bit more expensive, but it's on a larger ship. I'm wondering if it is worth the extra money to be on it?

7 minutes ago, Kurtp13 said:

I am sailing on Allure in April.   Are there restricted times to visit the Helipad?   I haven't noticed much discussion about it other than how to get there.  

On Allure (all OA class) a visit to the helipad is only offered to Sky and Star class suite guests for a sail away party and only once per cruise.  If you are staying a grand suite or above an invitation will be left in your cabin.

On Freedom class (plus Voyager and Radiance class) the helipad is open to public except during high winds or bad weather when they close it.

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

On Allure (all OA class) a visit to the helipad is only offered to Sky and Star class suite guests for a sail away party and only once per cruise.  If you are staying a grand suite or above an invitation will be left in your cabin.

On Freedom class (plus Voyager and Radiance class) the helipad is open to public except during high winds or bad weather when they close it.

Oh, that's disappointing.  I didn't understand that from previous reading.   I'll temper my expectations.  

1 minute ago, Kurtp13 said:

Oh, that's disappointing.  I didn't understand that from previous reading.   I'll temper my expectations.  

Agreed but Allure has so many other cool places like Central Park, the Boardwalk, an awesome Solarium, the forward deck in front of the Solarium with bridge wings to look down the length of the ship. 

4 hours ago, carrieheitz said:

I'm looking to book a cruise next year, and two that interest me are either on Freedom of the Seas, or Allure of the Seas. Allure is a bit more expensive, but it's on a larger ship. I'm wondering if it is worth the extra money to be on it?

We've been on all classes of RC ships with exception of the Anthem class (set to change next year).

If you have kids, Allure. If no kids, we would go with the Freedom class. @twangster is correct with respect to better entertainment options on the Allure. We, as a couple, found that there we many amenities on the Allure oriented to families that we didn't/won't use. But, there are more dining options.

If both were embarking on the same day, same price and same itinerary we would gravitate to the Freedom class in this comparison, but that's not a slam dunk easy choice. As an experienced cruising couple that is.

11 minutes ago, Gears said:

We, as a couple, found that there we many amenities on the Allure oriented to families that we didn't/won't use. But, there are more dining options.

Ah, good point. If you're a foodie and don't mind paying extra for specialty dining, there are a lot of options on Oasis and Quantum class that you can't get on any other ship class.

I’ve been on Freedom and LOVED it! I am booked on Allure in June (made final payment yesterday) on a port intensive itinerary and am choosing to stay on the ship in Cozumel because I have been there a couple times...after my trip to the famous blue food truck (for tortas and tacos) and some cheap beer, I will return to the ship for the day. I recognize that the two ships offer two different experiences, and it will end up being a matter of preference. 

When we were booking freedom I chose it because oasis class would have been way too big for my wife and I. After being on Freedom I am not sure how I feel about going bigger or smaller. We have found a prefect size. We are planning to go on it again for March 2020 out of San Juan. I just can't imagine having to plan everything so far in advanced like you need to on oasis. We are very spontaneous last minute people and on Freedoms MTD I never had to wait longer then 5 minutes without reservations (the reservation line was actually longer as so many people are starting to do that more). And we had the same waiter (the best one) for 4 of the nights.

We started with Navigator for our first 2 cruises primarily because it left from a port that was driving distance for us.  We bumped up slightly when Liberty replaced her for the next 2 cruises.  We loved all the activities of both ships but found there were a number that we weren't actually using.  I don't bounce so good anymore so flowrider while fun to watch is not something I'm going to do.  Next cruise was to Alaska and it was totally selected based on ports and excursions.  We arrived back to the ship so exhausted each evening that a couple of drinks after dinner was about all we could handle.  We decided to go smaller with the last cruise so we did a 5 day on Majesty right before she went into dry dock.  Nice ship but we did find that we missed the activity of the larger ones.  Even if you don't partipate the people watching and multiple venues are worth it to us.  We're not scheduled for Allure until this fall so this will be our first chance to compare classes.  I guess my point is I think either will provide a great vacation for you.  My gut tells me that generally the Oasis class are booked as a destination unto themselves and the ports somewhat become secondary.  That is our intent anyway.  I'll let you know how I feel when we get back.

I've never been on one of the big Oasis Class Ships, but I've been on 3 cruises with Royal in their Freedom Class ships.  This is the class right under the Oasis (huge ship) class.  I love these ships.  I've also been on 1 Royal Cruise that was their Voyager class.  Very similar to the Freedom Class.  Anyways, I love love LOVE the Freedom Class ships.  About to go on my 3rd Royal cruise on Liberty of the Seas in October!

Here is a link that explains the different ship classes and what makes them all different:  http://www.cruise-international.com/royal-caribbean-ship-class/

I hope this helps!  Happy deciding!  :) 

• 10 months later...
On 3/19/2018 at 4:24 PM, carrieheitz said:

Both are great ships , freedom does edge it for me as it does have some of my favourite ports ... service has also been better on freedom 

I hadn't been on a cruise in 8 years & my mother n law said she'd pay for the room if I planned the trip. I'm always for bigger is better so I only looked at the Oasis class cruises. Allure won out so I'll be going this weekend 1/27. But ports due play a big role so going forward (as I've done Bahamas & Cozumel in past cruises) I picked my next cruise based off ports & not ship.  I guess it really depends on your preference at time of booking ship or port preference.

• 3 weeks later...

If you plan on booking a Grand Suite or above, the Sky Class perks on O and Q class ships are much better than Suite perks on the smaller classes. i.e. Sky class includes complimentary WiFi, and the Suite lounge on the Oasis class ships serve beer and wine almost the entire day, and cocktails during the usual 5-8:30, plus Coastal Kitchen, etc, etc, etc.

I think Voyager and Freedom class ships are the best blend of activities/size/and value in the fleet, but if the price is only a little bit higher, I would pick an Oasis class in a heartbeat.