Royal Caribbean Ships For Sale

So I was reading this article about a Carnival ship (Holiday) going up for sale and I went browsing through some of the ships on this brokers website and I found a couple of familiar ships being put up for sale. Apparently Royal Caribbean is currently shopping Enchantment of the Seas and one of the other Vision class ships for the low low price of 300,000,000. Interesting to see that Royal Caribbean is constantly planning for the future and modernizing their fleet. See the link below for the listings they are about halfway down the page, you can tell Enchantment in the (rather blurry picture) by the bridges on each side of the ship. 

http://www.qpsships.com/pre-owned-cruise-ships

Update: It appears that there are two Celebrity ships being made available for sale as well if you go over to the second page 

48 minutes ago, KLAconQueso said:

These rumors have been floating around for a while - Rhapsody comes up often as a rumored 'for sale' ship. 

It's amazing ..... this rumor  pops up about every 6 months ....

In the grand scheme, every ship is for sale, if someone is willing to pay.

And of course, many equate "For Sale" with "SOLD" ---- so they act as though it's leaving NOW.

50 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

It's amazing ..... this rumor  pops up about every 6 months ....

In the grand scheme, every ship is for sale, if someone is willing to pay.

And of course, many equate "For Sale" with "SOLD" ---- so they act as though it's leaving NOW.

Haha, right?

While I wouldn't be surprised if these Vision class ships start being sold off slowly over the next 5-10 years (Royal has made it clear that they feel BIGGER IS BETTER!!! because "something something millennials"), I don't see this announcement coming any time soon.

As someone who prefers smaller ships to the larger Oasis class, I'm wondering how this will affect my cruising choices when that time does come. 

1 hour ago, coneyraven said:

Plus, not every port can handle the bigger ships --- both foreign and domestic .....

Case in point, Tampa, Baltimore on the domestic side, and Cuba and Belize on the foreign side.

Not to mention Venice on the overseas side of things -- that's only had Vision class ships sailing out for as long as I've been watching the Mediterranean itineraries.

2 hours ago, whenismynextcruise said:

I realize that there are many cruise choices and lines out there but this makes me wonder about who buys these ships? Assuming its not private investors it has to be a smaller cruise line right? Do they slap another name on the back and sail away? Refurbishments? Just curious.

Pretty much.  Pullmantur (not quite a subsidiary now, Royal owns 49%) picked up the Sovereign & Monarch, Royal is still sailing her sister ship the Majesty.  They also had the Empress for a while, but Royal pulled her back to their own fleet for the Cuba runs.  From what I've seen, they do some refurbishments, but nothing crazy.  Mostly a new paint job, carpet and decor.

Its not a "rumor" if its actually listed on a website for sale.....no one said its sold. But it IS for sale...no?!

And it could never sell or it could sell tmrw right....

I am sure Royal is anxious to get rid of these small ships that don't appeal to their targeted market and don't generate the revenue they want. God forbid I cant pay something extra every day to do or try something on my cruise.

I was hoping when I first started cruising royal to try and hit all the different ships Royal had before they started selling the older ones off. But that isn't an option for me any longer. There have been a few just in the past years since I started cruising they have gotten rid of.

5 hours ago, Orange Crush said:

Pretty much.  Pullmantur (not quite a subsidiary now, Royal owns 49%) picked up the Sovereign & Monarch, Royal is still sailing her sister ship the Majesty.  They also had the Empress for a while, but Royal pulled her back to their own fleet for the Cuba runs.  From what I've seen, they do some refurbishments, but nothing crazy.  Mostly a new paint job, carpet and decor.

Sovereign of the Seas ..... Before Pullmantur, and With Pullmantur

Sovereign OTS.jpg

Sovereign-Pullmantur.jpg

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

I am sure Royal is anxious to get rid of these small ships that don't appeal to their targeted market and don't generate the revenue they want. God forbid I cant pay something extra every day to do or try something on my cruise.

I wish they were building new fuel efficient ships in the Vision to Sovereign size range.  Comparing the Allure and the Majesty, I like aspects of both and the ability to chose between them.  They each bring things to the table I like.  The Allure had the gee whiz factor, nonstop entertainment and hustle and bustle, the Majesty had a friendlier more casual feel.  Sometimes we want an action packed vacation, sometimes we want something more relaxing and personalized.  It's nice to have both options.

Officially Royal has never confirmed it is for sale.  Unofficially every ship is for sale for the right price.

Selling off old ships is a double edge sword.  The last thing you want to do is create or empower a start-up or competitor to compete with you in the short cruise segment.  Price the ship too low and you do just that.  Price it too high and no one wants it. 

As terrible as Spirit and Frontier airlines are, cheap is very attractive to some travelers and they put up with stuff because of the price tag.  An ULCC (Ultra Low Cost Carrier) in the cruise industry could have the same effect eating into a portion of cruise customers that seek the low cost getaway cruises.

On 3/19/2018 at 10:46 AM, coneyraven said:

Plus, not every port can handle the bigger ships --- both foreign and domestic .....

Case in point, Tampa, Baltimore on the domestic side, and Cuba and Belize on the foreign side.

Yeah, they'd have to abandon Baltimore and Tampa and they seem to be popular and profitable ports.  Or invest in new ports south of the bridges which doesn't seem likely

42 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Depends on whether you believe that website is genuine.  I could make a website that says Harmony is for sale and if you believe me I've got some bridges for sale too!

Come on man.....lets not go there. ...:40_rage:

That's what your going to bring to this conversation/discussion.....smdh.

50 minutes ago, mbk999 said:

Yeah, they'd have to abandon Baltimore and Tampa and they seem to be popular and profitable ports.  Or invest in new ports south of the bridges which doesn't seem likely

What's amazing about Baltimore is its proximity to multiple major markets (Baltimore/Washington/Philadelphia) and the ease of getting there from points west (Pittsburgh, the Ohio River Valley)....

Imagine if the state could invest the money into a new port just below the Bay Bridges (Annapolis) ---

Of course, the trade-off would be losing the thrill of going under them and the Key Bridge (I-695)

IMG_0964.jpg

1 minute ago, coneyraven said:

Imagine if the state could invest the money into a new port just below the Bay Bridges (Annapolis) ---

Agreed, nearly as close to BWI and a great town to walk around,  but I think the third span over the bay will come first in the state's "bay" budget...  I've never sailed out of Baltimore but I'd love to see the bridges from a different perspective.   But I have a wife who is susceptible to motion sickness and the open ocean leg by Hatteras worries me.    

I LOVE the port at Baltimore.  I completely agree - so close to so many population areas - including mine !

The PROBLEM with Baltimore is....where do you go ?  We have gone to Bermuda sooooo many times now.  I love cruising so I don't mind going to Bermuda over and over....and over and over again.  But unless you have at least 9 days to cruise, you cannot get anywhere else.  Once we're retired, if we are still in the Metro DC area (which I pray we are NOT !) then I will take FULL advantage of the longer trips on Grandeur (or whichever ship is here) but until then, I guess it will continue to be Bermuda.  We do have a Christmas/New Year's cruise booked for this year and it will be our first out of Baltimore (12 nights).  Looking forward to that one !  ...and one day we will take the New England cruise too.  We are primarily winter cruisers so the options out of Baltimore are very limited this time of year.

23 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Come on man.....lets not go there. ...:40_rage:

That's what your going to bring to this conversation/discussion.....smdh.

I think it's a fair question.  Does a blurry picture of a Royal ship on that website really mean Royal is offering it for sale?  Has Royal used that company for past sales of their ships?  Considering most of their recent transfers have been with Pullmantur (where they have a 49% stake if I recall) do they actually bother to advertise such sales or just have high level corporate discussions?  Is there any reason not to dismiss it as a rumor?

That's what they do....and yes, there have been numerous ships listed/sold there in the past and Royals included. Its not the first time this topic and/or site has been talked about here.

You cant question every little thing in life. What do you even know about Royal's process to question it or come up with you own idea as to how you think it MIGHT work when it comes to how Royal sells their ships.

So yes, it's not a rumor. Rumor is speculation that Royal is selling a ship. if I see it listed on a site that brokers cruise ships sales for many different companies all over the world, then its more than a rumor. It's pretty simple and easy.

It should be of no surprise that all Vision class ships are out there to see if there if is any interest, much like ships of similar vintage from other cruise lines. 

I've been trying to put together a 'tour of small ships' going from one to another while they are still in the fleet.  They are all over so it's hard to make the dates work flying in from CO. 

Empress, Majesty, Enchantment, Vision, Rhapsody.

Any month now I expect to hear of one or more of them leaving.

Just now, twangster said:

It should be of no surprise that all Vision class ships are out there to see if there if is any interest, much like ships of similar vintage from other cruise lines. 

I've been trying to put together a 'tour of small ships' going from one to another while they are still in the fleet.  They are all over so it's hard to make the dates work flying in from CO. 

Empress, Majesty, Enchantment, Vision, Rhapsody.

Any month now I expect to hear of one or more of them leaving.

And Grandeur --- My baby

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:16 AM, monctonguy said:

I am sad to see Enchantment going....I need to get back on her for one last cruise if that is the case.... :(

i  too need at least need one more cruise she is a grand lady I have many fond memories but refuse to sail out of mijami  now that she is coming to Canaveral I am looking at a cruise in sept 18 what a technical wonder she is having been cut in half and stretched absolutely I am going to try to get one of the ceramic models of this treasure hopefully there will still be some available ;(

14 hours ago, coneyraven said:

And Grandeur --- My baby

Since we were swindled out of one of our C&A points when RC went from counting cruises by single points to counting by total cruise nights (currently sitting at 22 points for some inexplicable reason :40_rage: ), we'll be one point shy of Platinum after our December sailing on the Oasis.  I was thinking that one of the short jaunts on the Grandeur to Bermuda would be a perfect lower cost way to bump out of Gold a bit earlier than we could otherwise afford.

Our first trip on Grandeur, back before they stretched her, was memorable in that when the luggage arrived at the stateroom, we discovered that MsDig had somehow forgotten to pack any of her dresses (most everyone dressed better for dinner back then).  I was seriously considering calling our daughter who had driven us to the terminal to ask her to run to our house, pack them in a bag and drop them off of the Key Bridge as we passed beneath!  I mean really, what could go wrong?

HTTPS9tZWRpYS5naXBoeS5jb20vbWVkaWEvQXhWd

Cooler heads prevailed and we decided instead to purchase suitable dinner clothing for her in the next port.  True story, though!

8 hours ago, Digmenow said:

Since we were swindled out of one of our C&A points when RC went from counting cruises by single points to counting by total cruise nights (currently sitting at 22 points for some inexplicable reason :40_rage: ), we'll be one point shy of Platinum after our December sailing on the Oasis.  I was thinking that one of the short jaunts on the Grandeur to Bermuda would be a perfect lower cost way to bump out of Gold a bit earlier than we could otherwise afford.

Our first trip on Grandeur, back before they stretched her, was memorable in that when the luggage arrived at the stateroom, we discovered that MsDig had somehow forgotten to pack any of her dresses (most everyone dressed better for dinner back then).  I was seriously considering calling our daughter who had driven us to the terminal to ask her to run to our house, pack them in a bag and drop them off of the Key Bridge as we passed beneath!  I mean really, what could go wrong?

HTTPS9tZWRpYS5naXBoeS5jb20vbWVkaWEvQXhWd

Cooler heads prevailed and we decided instead to purchase suitable dinner clothing for her in the next port.  True story, though!

I love this --- one minor flaw in your story though, the Grandeur was never stretched ..... It was Enchantment.  Although, Enchantment did do a stint in Baltimore for a while so you get a pass on that one.

9 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

I love this --- one minor flaw in your story though, the Grandeur was never stretched ..... It was Enchantment.  Although, Enchantment did do a stint in Baltimore for a while so you get a pass on that one.

Indeed!  I just knew that it was an RC ship based in Baltimore.  I didn't realize that there was a ship prior to Grandeur.  Thanks for the info!

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, KathyC said:

I really need Majesty to stick around until 2021 - I want my first crystal block to be of my very first ship.  

I can 100% relate to that!  My first block is going to come on Oasis and it is so fitting since I am 100% Team Oasis Class, and Oasis was a our first sailing in that class back on her inaugural in 2009.