can I change my dining option

Diane.M

We will be taking our first cruise on Symphony of the Seas March 2019.  We chose "anytime dining" but now I would like to change it to the set time, we don't want to wait in lines or reserve each meal individually.  I cant see an option to change this on my account.  Is it possible to change online or will I have to call.  Thank you for any help!!  I'm a little overwhelmed with all the options.  BUT excited. I am sure I will plan up to the day we leave. :) 

2 minutes ago, Diane.M said:

Thank you!! I am beyond excited for my FIRST ever cruise. :)  I'm driving my family crazy with my obsession

I feel you. My first ever cruise is in just 12 more days, only 9 until I get on the plane down to Florida. My family is as excited as I am but really tired of me going on about every little update I found. "Hey, I just discovered this on the boards I follow...", or "You've got to listen to this podcast episode!", are becoming phrases that evokes fear and dread in my home. Well, either that or the feeling that an intervention might be necessary. :4_joy:

Just now, JLMoran said:

I feel you. My first ever cruise is in just 12 more days, only 9 until I get on the plane down to Florida. My family is as excited as I am but really tired of me going on about every little update I found. "Hey, I just discovered this on the boards I follow...", or "You've got to listen to this podcast episode!", are becoming phrases that evokes fear and dread in my home. Well, either that or the feeling that an intervention might be necessary. :4_joy:

I am so jealous!  We have 367 days left.  Which ship are you going on?  We will be sailing on Symphony of the Seas March 23rd 2019.  My hubby and son would probably vote for intervention. I created a event on facebook.. I told everyone to turn off notifications, but one day they would appreciate all my links.  

Just now, Diane.M said:

I am so jealous!  We have 367 days left.  Which ship are you going on?  We will be sailing on Symphony of the Seas March 23rd 2019.  My hubby and son would probably vote for intervention. I created a event on facebook.. I told everyone to turn off notifications, but one day they would appreciate all my links.  

I'll be on Freedom of the Seas with my family, sailing to the Eastern Caribbean. After that, my wife and I will have a 5-night "just the two of us" trip on Anthem to see Bermuda in October.

After that, nothing else expected on the calendar until the 2020 itineraries open up. My 50th birthday that year, and I am planning to give myself a rather extravagant birthday present.

51 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

My 50th birthday that year, and I am planning to give myself a rather extravagant birthday present.

That's what I'm doing for my 70th, only it's a B2B starting March 25th. If you can work a B2B into your work schedule, I HIGHLY recommend it. I don't think anyone here would poo-poo a B2B! :27_sunglasses:

43 minutes ago, rjac said:

That's what I'm doing for my 70th, only it's a B2B starting March 25th. If you can work a B2B into your work schedule, I HIGHLY recommend it. I don't think anyone here would poo-poo a B2B! :27_sunglasses:

Heh, I’m looking at Norwegian / Icelandic / Mediterranean itineraries ranging from 11 to 21 nights. Between that, wanting to do at least a JS-type room, excursions, and airfare... Well, just one cruise will likely be plenty. ?

2 hours ago, rjac said:

Newbie here.. but what is B2B?  Is it a type of ship or the name of a ship.  :)  Happy 70th!  I will be 60 when I take my first cruise.

43 minutes ago, Diane.M said:

Newbie here.. but what is B2B?  Is it a type of ship or the name of a ship.  :)  Happy 70th!  I will be 60 when I take my first cruise.

Oh boy Diane, welcome aboard, you are in for an information download on everything you wanted to know about Royal cruising...and then some! A lot of acronyms, abbreviations, etc. Don't be afraid to ask questions especially about abbreviations. A B2B is a two week "back to back" on the same cruise ship usually in the same cabin, but not necessarily the same itinerary both weeks. This B2B will be our third. This one will be on the Allure OTS (of the Seas) out of Ft. Lauderdale, Western Caribbean the first week and Eastern Caribbean the second week in the same cabin both weeks (deluxe with superior balcony). Yeah, a 2 week B2B means a lot of clothes, but, we drive from NC to Ft. Lauderdale and take our time. This trip we're spending a few days in St. Augustine, FL before the cruise as we have never been there. So luggage is no problem. Flying for us has become too much of a pain in the butt! :27_sunglasses:

3 hours ago, rjac said:

Wait a sec - you've already booked 20 years out???   How may days is that???

On 3/18/2018 at 7:30 AM, Diane.M said:

We will be taking our first cruise on Symphony of the Seas March 2019.  We chose "anytime dining" but now I would like to change it to the set time, we don't want to wait in lines or reserve each meal individually.  I cant see an option to change this on my account.  Is it possible to change online or will I have to call.  Thank you for any help!!  I'm a little overwhelmed with all the options.  BUT excited. I am sure I will plan up to the day we leave. :) 

You are going to have so much fun.  A word of caution, though - try not to go too overboard right now, lest you burn yourself out too soon.  A year out is perfect for learning all of the nuances of this place, your ship, your itineraries, etc.  

I also wanted to give you your first "like"!!!!   I have a feeling you're going to get a lot more!

8 hours ago, rjac said:

Oh boy Diane, welcome aboard, you are in for an information download on everything you wanted to know about Royal cruising...and then some! A lot of acronyms, abbreviations, etc. Don't be afraid to ask questions especially about abbreviations. A B2B is a two week "back to back" on the same cruise ship usually in the same cabin, but not necessarily the same itinerary both weeks. This B2B will be our third. This one will be on the Allure OTS (of the Seas) out of Ft. Lauderdale, Western Caribbean the first week and Eastern Caribbean the second week in the same cabin both weeks (deluxe with superior balcony). Yeah, a 2 week B2B means a lot of clothes, but, we drive from NC to Ft. Lauderdale and take our time. This trip we're spending a few days in St. Augustine, FL before the cruise as we have never been there. So luggage is no problem. Flying for us has become too much of a pain in the butt! :27_sunglasses:

Well I have a B2B in my future.  That sounds fantastic.  We are flying from Salt Lake to Florida..I do not enjoy flying but I will have survive.  Worth it!!  I will have to wait til I retire, but a B2B sounds heavenly.  :)  Thanks for all your help!  

On 3/19/2018 at 4:28 PM, JLMoran said:

You are going to love freedom Joe.   I'm the same way and I will be on my 4th in 4 days....my family is ready to strangle me (until they enjoy all the reservations and things I planned...nachi, chefs table etc... with this blog's help! )  Freedom here I come!   Jane

With My Time Dining (MTD) you can set the same time for each day.  We've always set ours for 5:30, but you should be able to book any time you want.  Call RC, or have your travel agent (TA.  TA is also used for transatlantic) call and set it up for you.  Or, do as others have suggested and keep trying for Traditional Dining.

5 hours ago, Diane.M said:

I have decided to keep MTD. :) I think I made the right choice to begin with.  LOL  I  can reserve the same time if I want or if I need to be late I can schedule late.  Thanks everyone!!!

Up to you, there are no bad choices, but for a first cruise I recommend set time.  I think it adds to the overall "Be Our Guest" sort of experience.

5 hours ago, Orange Crush said:

Up to you, there are no bad choices, but for a first cruise I recommend set time.  I think it adds to the overall "Be Our Guest" sort of experience.

I am so wishy washy!!  I will discuss further with my Hubby. Thanks for the advice, I do see your point

On 19/03/2018 at 11:17 PM, JLMoran said:

Heh, I’m looking at Norwegian / Icelandic / Mediterranean itineraries ranging from 11 to 21 nights. Between that, wanting to do at least a JS-type room, excursions, and airfare... Well, just one cruise will likely be plenty. ?

There are some 14 night Mediterranean or Canaries and 12/14 night Iceland or Baltic cruises from Southampton currently and  12/14 night from Copenhagen nd Amsterdam I think. 

Don't recall seeing any longer than that in the region.

Norwegian Fjords - I've only seen 7 nights from Southampton. There are also Spain & France and British Isles 7 night options so you may be able to B2B it...

3 hours ago, hayley_bopp said:

There are some 14 night Mediterranean or Canaries and 12/14 night Iceland or Baltic cruises from Southampton currently and  12/14 night from Copenhagen nd Amsterdam I think. 

Don't recall seeing any longer than that in the region.

Norwegian Fjords - I've only seen 7 nights from Southampton. There are also Spain & France and British Isles 7 night options so you may be able to B2B it...

I'm not looking just at Royal. HAL has the best itineraries for Norway and Iceland that I've seen anywhere (a Dutch-homed cruise line having the best access to Scandinavia, imagine that). A bit pricy, but at least one of those itineraries I see for 2019 is on the brand-new Prinsendam (sister ship to Koenigsdam), and I'd assume 2020 will be roughly the same; if it's a once-in-a-lifetime kind of trip then I figure the price is worth it. But will weigh going with a higher-end cabin vs. required budget to explore and do stuff off-ship.

On 3/22/2018 at 5:45 AM, Diane.M said:

I have decided to keep MTD. :) I think I made the right choice to begin with.  LOL  I  can reserve the same time if I want or if I need to be late I can schedule late.  Thanks everyone!!!

You also can make MTD more traditional if you want the experience. We shared a table with another couple one night to try it out. Just tell the staff if you are okay with sharing a table and they will let someone join you if they wish. Also if you like a certain waiter you can request them to be assigned to you so each time you go your reservation will be with the same waiter. This creates the same feel as the set time but with the flexibility of MTD. My wife and I rarely eat at the same time, especially with different excursions or departure times. I rather miss my normal time and still be in the MDR (main dining room) at a later time than I miss my time and then have to eat at the WJ (windjammer [buffee]) or speciality restaurant. 

On 3/22/2018 at 11:11 PM, mom2mybugs said:

You are going to love freedom Joe.   I'm the same way and I will be on my 4th in 4 days....my family is ready to strangle me (until they enjoy all the reservations and things I planned...nachi, chefs table etc... with this blog's help! )  Freedom here I come!   Jane

Freedom has given me the approval from my wife for more cruising. She was very disappointed on our Norwegian cruise that it was a hard push for me to get one more shot. It was a great cruise and great food. So far out of the 3 I've been on, its been the best yet. We are planning to go on her again in 2020. 

1 hour ago, LetsTryThisPlace said:

You also can make MTD more traditional if you want the experience. We shared a table with another couple one night to try it out. Just tell the staff if you are okay with sharing a table and they will let someone join you if they wish. Also if you like a certain waiter you can request them to be assigned to you so each time you go your reservation will be with the same waiter. This creates the same feel as the set time but with the flexibility of MTD. My wife and I rarely eat at the same time, especially with different excursions or departure times. I rather miss my normal time and still be in the MDR (main dining room) at a later time than I miss my time and then have to eat at the WJ (windjammer [buffee]) or speciality restaurant. 

Freedom has given me the approval from my wife for more cruising. She was very disappointed on our Norwegian cruise that it was a hard push for me to get one more shot. It was a great cruise and great food. So far out of the 3 I've been on, its been the best yet. We are planning to go on her again in 2020. 

I think that is what we will do!! We will have 4 others cruising with us.  It is also my daughters and sisters 20th anniversary AND their first cruise.  I will want to sit with them each night.  I am so impatient to be able to do reservations ect.  If I read right I cant do anything until 90 days before.

2 hours ago, Diane.M said:

If I read right I cant do anything until 90 days before.

That is the "official word" however, many of us have had dining and entertainment open in the cruise planner way before that.  The key is to keep checking your cruise planner because there is no logic or predicting when it will show up.  I have had dining open for booking as early as 170 days out and entertainment open up as early as 160 days out.  But it varies by ship and sailing.  You cannot predict it.  Just check regularly.  On Symphony, you will want to make sure you grab all your entertainment options way ahead of time.  If you don't book shows ahead, you will have to wait in a standby line (assuming they follow the rest of the Oasis ship models).

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

That is the "official word" however, many of us have had dining and entertainment open in the cruise planner way before that.  The key is to keep checking your cruise planner because there is no logic or predicting when it will show up.  I have had dining open for booking as early as 170 days out and entertainment open up as early as 160 days out.  But it varies by ship and sailing.  You cannot predict it.  Just check regularly.  On Symphony, you will want to make sure you grab all your entertainment options way ahead of time.  If you don't book shows ahead, you will have to wait in a standby line (assuming they follow the rest of the Oasis ship models).

Thanks!  I created a reminder to check daily from Sept 1 on.  hahaahh like it need a reminder. :)