Canceling 1 passenger from connecting rooms !

Laneot

HI All!  This is my first post and my first RCCL cruise!  We've done Disney, NCL, and CCL, so now its time for some Royal fun!

Here's my query for all you seasoned Royalists:  We booked two OV cabins for our blended family of 6.  One of our children is active duty military and will be deployed at the time, but with his blessing, we are still going on the cruise.  We would have to cancel him from our booking, making one room a double, as opposed to two triples.  We were told if we had to downsize, so to speak, one room would be moved as they could not keep 2 people in a triple/quad room, and would be repriced, at more than what we paid for 6.  We would like to stay in connecting rooms, as most of the kids are under 18, and one of them suffers from intense anxiety.  

If we convey that to RCCL are they willing to work with us?  Or should we resign ourselves to having rooms on separate ends of the ships?

Thanks so much! 

L

I would say that the best chance you have is through royals disability dept give them a call at 8665927225 they are very helpful and may be able to help you out oh by the way welcome to the forum is there any chance you bought royals travel insurance when you booked

10 minutes ago, Laneot said:

HI All!  This is my first post and my first RCCL cruise!  We've done Disney, NCL, and CCL, so now its time for some Royal fun!

Here's my query for all you seasoned Royalists:  We booked two OV cabins for our blended family of 6.  One of our children is active duty military and will be deployed at the time, but with his blessing, we are still going on the cruise.  We would have to cancel him from our booking, making one room a double, as opposed to two triples.  We were told if we had to downsize, so to speak, one room would be moved as they could not keep 2 people in a triple/quad room, and would be repriced, at more than what we paid for 6.  We would like to stay in connecting rooms, as most of the kids are under 18, and one of them suffers from intense anxiety.  

If we convey that to RCCL are they willing to work with us?  Or should we resign ourselves to having rooms on separate ends of the ships?

Thanks so much! 

L

if it were me I would call the number to disability and explain to them the situation with the childs anxiety issues I have a child with anxiety issues I know how difficult it can get they have always taken great care of me and my family one of many reasons I remain loyal to Royal:1_grinning:

If you wait and just have him as a noshow, you would lose out on his cruise fare but that might be preferable to being forced into a move and reprice scenario.

I had a similar situation a couple of years back where the change to cancel the 3rd passenger in our room was going to be more than the original fare, so our plan was just to no-show. My wife ended up being able to go so it didn't matter.

I called Royal and asked about what would happen if I cancelled her which is where I got the story about triggering the move and the reprice, but did not cancel so nothing changed.

Others have indicated that it was not a problem to make the change ... so as with all things Royal ... you can try calling until someone gives you an answer you like :)

13 hours ago, Laneot said:

We would like to stay in connecting rooms, as most of the kids are under 18, and one of them suffers from intense anxiety.  

I'm not sure the age of your kids and how the staterooms were booked...2 adults in one or did they make you put 1 adult in each room?  I book with the kids in 1 room and 2 adults in the other however I've seen lazy TAs who wanted to put 1 adult in each room to make things easy so they didn't have to sit on the phone with Royal.  The RC rule is no guest under 21 is allowed their own stateroom unless that stateroom is connecting, adjoining or directly across from the adult (21+) stateroom.  If all the kids are under 21 and in their own room, then they shouldn't be moved unless they can also move your room to meet that requirement.  If 1 adult in each room then it could be a different story.  In that case, do as others have said and reach out to special needs.

Have you made final payment?  If you have made final payment, then let the 3rd person be a no show as others have said.  If you are looking for a refund, then your room may be repriced.  

Did you use a travel agent or are you going directly through RC? 

USAA travel insurance has a clause that covers military personnel deployments.  Not sure if you have insurance but that might be one to look into for future vacations.

Thanks for all the fyi! 

All the kids are under 21, and we put one adult in each room, because it was recommended we do that. 

My main issue is dealing with the one kid who has anxiety. She feels that a singular OV room is too claustrophobic so the fact that we have a door  between the two gives her more "space" so to speak? I'm not sure if we had to cancel 1 passenger, would RCCL really move the one room, despite that being the case. 

I've mostly heard that they repriced the room, or moved groups. We booked with Rccl because carnival was doing the same thing despite us calling and explaining the situation.  I suppose we'll have to just pay for the extra fare and leave it be. 

Thanks again folks! 

45 minutes ago, Laneot said:

All the kids are under 21, and we put one adult in each room, because it was recommended we do that. 

One thing you could do is switch the adult so both adults are in the same room.  You can switch names on the reservation without forcing a reprice assuming at least 1 name on the reservation stays the same.  Then the keys to the rooms are accurate and you don't have to deal with getting another key, etc.  Also, it is highly unlikely that RC will move the kids since they won't be next to you.

Good luck!

I agree with the "no show" scenario.  Since you have already booked 1 adult in each room then you will have no issues if one of the [other] adults is not present.

You will be refunded the taxes and port fees for the "no show" but that is all you will get back.  With the issues you have described - wanting the connecting rooms - I would definitely NOT take the chance of having them re-assign your room at this point by alerting them ahead of time that one of the adults will not be cruising.

Don't tell them anything.  Just show up at the port with 1 person less than you booked.  I believe that is your best scenario.